Bummer - Didn't Buy the Insurance...

CoupleOnTheGo

My husband and I were looking forward to a 3-day repositioning cruise from San Diego to Vancouver but the unforseen occured... Earlier this month, my husband had emergency surgery for appendicitis. He was recovering well and we thought he'd be ready for this cruise. Unfortunately, he had a major setback as he developed a serious abdominal abscess which required another emergency surgery. He spent 7 days in the hospital and was just released today but with orders from the surgeon forbidding travel at this time. The Zaandam will set sail tomorrow afternoon without us. We didn't purchase the insurance when we booked because first, the cost was 50% of the entire trip which seemed really high to us, and second, we're young and normally healthy. I guess you just never know what's around the corner... I spent the afternoon on the phone cancelling the cruise and our three flights. All three airlines were extremely accomodating and waived cancellation fees and left us with credits for future travel within the next year. We will need to send in a copy of the doctor's letter explaining the circumstances and his orders against travel at this time. Unfortunately, HAL basically said we were out of luck since we didn't purchase the insurance. I could understand if this was a sold out itinerary and they could have filled our cabin but there are still cabins available. I was thinking of writing HAL a letter about our situation and including the doctor's letter to see if they'd consider extending a credit toward a future trip as the airlines have done. I am curious if anyone else has had a similar situation with a medical emergency and if they were able to obtain future cruise credit instead of being out 100% of their cruise fare.

...but actually, any cruiseline would have been better able to get someone else aboard in your place (and possibly given you at least a partial credit) on a Sold-out/Over-sold cruise where folks might be on a waiting-list than on a lightly-sold repositioning cruise per your situation.

But your story is a really good lesson that anything can happen and that we should be prepared to take the loss if we choose to*self-insure.

I hope your DH recovers fully and that you two are able to re-book another cruise sometime soon.

It's a bummer and be glad it was only a 3 day cruise instead of something even more subbstantial.

I am very surprised at the cost of insurance, given you say you are young and healthy. Who quoted you 50% and was this for the cruise or both cruise and air?

You are entitled to a refund of taxes and port charges.

We didn't purchase the insurance when we booked because first, the cost was 50% of the entire trip which seemed really high to us, and second, we're young and normally healthy.

Sure hope he's on the mend & you can get on a dam ship sometime really soon. :)

That 50% of the cruisefare really strikes me as odd. I have no idea what a 3-day repo cruise costs, but perhaps you were misquoted the price of the insurance? If the cruisefare was, maybe $1,000, that's saying that the insurance was $500?????! :eek:

John & I paid less than 10% of the cruisefare for the insurance for our recent January Noordam cruise. We're in our early 40's - no medical questions are asked on the insuremytrip website.

You can try writing to HAL, but likely won't get anywhere. I hate to be discouraging but if they make an exception for 1 they set a precedent & would then have to make exceptions for others. Why then would anyone purchase insurance? If someone pays $$$ for insurance, then finds out that HAL does indeed make exceptions on a case-by-case basis, they might not be too happy about that. Why should anyone then have to buy insurance? I'm not heartless, just trying to look at it from another perspective.

The cost for the Platinum coverage is $99 per person if base cost is under $1000.

Standard is $79 per person if base fare is under $1000.

So if they were paying somewhere in the ballpark of $200-300 per person... (Decent fares for a 3 day) then the insurance would have effectively been "half"

I agree with the previous poster that if an exception was made for one, they have to make it for others. You may ask if at the time of rebook if they could maybe do a little something... "VIP status" for instance. You'll get a floral bouquet in the room, a bottle of champagne and an invitation to the Captain's reception.

Just call the main HAL number, ask for Guest Relations and state that you learned your lesson, you'll get the insurance next time, and is there ANYTHING they'd be able to do (however minor) and that you'd be very appreciative.

You never know... :cool:

Unfortunately I must agree with the other posters. we learned our lessons about insurance the hard way also. Now, we don't leave home without it. It is so worth it if the unexpected happens.

Hope your DH is doing well and that you can book another cruise in the near future.

Think of your glass as half-full instead of half-empty. If the cruise cost $200 and the insurance was $100, you paid them $200 and so you are out $200. But if you had paid the insurance as well, you would still be out $100.

Your decision to self insure was sound in this case; the chance of missing the cruise was low, and for a cruise close to the United States, emergency evacuation, while still expensive would not be the astronomical amount it would cost from, say, the South Pacific.

Which brings up: be glad the appendicitis happened before the cruise, not during the cruise!

Incidentally, I've always wondered why the cancellation cost close to the cruise is a full 100%; this gives no incentive to cancel before the cruise departs instead of just not showing up and I'm sure the cruise line would prefer the former. They should offer some future cruise credit, even if only modest, to people who do at least notify them that they can't cruise. Try this argument on them and see if they'll give you a small cruise credit.

Best wishes

We had a 10 day C/NE cruise booked with RCI. We opted for a balcony cabin. 3 days before sailing my wife, a very healthy lady, had an emergency appendectomy. Our investment of $200 saved us over $4000. Never book without insurance.

In 2000 DH had a heart attack just 3 weeks before we were to leave for Australia and New Zealand. We had Princess's insurance and they were very accommodating. Switched all our monies over to a couple of other cruises at a future time when DH could travel. The airlines were also great -- no penalities once we produced doctor's letters.

Most importantly, it is good your DH is now on the mend. Hope he has a speedy recovery. Sounds like he has been through a rough time.

We are among those who choose to self-insure. In our early years of cruising, we always booked insurance. After a while, we stopped taking the insurance. We have now been on over 50+ cruises (all cruise lines) without insurance and have saved so much money in premiums we did not pay that even if we had to cancel a cruise at this point, we would still be so far ahead. (We'd hate to have to take that loss but are prepared to do so.)

BUT of criticial importance is that (a) our health insurance pays world wide and (b) we have emergency medical evacuation coverage which would cover that sort of situation.

I agree with the others that I would not expect HAL should or would provide any refund and that it is such good luck your DH became ill before you boarded the ship. That he was home at the time of his emergency.

I sincerely hope when he recovers you are able to book and enjoy a wonderful cruise.

Good Luck.

You didn't say how much the cruise was but for a $1,000 cruise Hal's charge for Platinum (which would be 100% refund for a medical issue and 90% for any reason with 24 hours) would be $99.00.

I am sorry for your situation but if Hal refunded for a medical condition why would any of us need to purchase their insurance? In my situation I already have out of network medical so the reason for the insurance is in case we can't go and for the medical evacuation. For a $2,500 - $3,000 cruise the price this year is $309pp, so $618.00 for a couple.

Just be glad you didn't pay over $10K for a longer cruise. The only time Hal told me we might skip for a third pax was when they were offering the third pax last year for $199 (I know someone who took one of those cruises). But than its only really good for the cancel for any reason, since it wouldn't help with any evacuation. In that case for $199 the insurance would have been 50% of the cos for the third pax.

Also, its good your Dh was home before the emergency. If you didn't have insurance or evacuation you'd likely be looking at a bill over $10K.

S7S, last year was the first time we bought medical insurance. I guess someone who can afford Suites can afford the loss of the cruise.

I have medical good for World wide use, but unfortunately no evacuation...

We never took travel insurance till about 15 years ago -- we were younger and healthy and stuff happened to others! HA! My husband had a heart attack and Princess told us to pretty much S***W. We had a great TA from one of the big cruise dealers in Miami and he worked very hard to break them down and they finally refunded all but $1,000 which was applied to a further cruise. Now I don't go anywhere without the insurance. Learned the hard way.

Insurance costs are based on age and price of cruise. If you're young and in an inside cabin, you'll pay much less than someone in their 70's in a PH or suite.

We were on a Regent cruise a couple of weeks ago and were surprised to meet someone our age who doesn't believe in travel insurance. We wouldn't take that chance!!!

Glad your DH is feeling better. And you're right: you never know what's around the corner. Best wishes to you.

S7S, last year was the first time we bought medical insurance. I guess someone who can afford Suites can afford the loss of the cruise.

I have medical good for World wide use, but unfortunately no evacuation...

Jade:

I'm not suggesting self-insuring is for everyone. And, it does not have to do with being able to afford the loss. I don't know anyone who wants to lose the price of a cruise.

Our analysis early in our cruising was: Because we were booking suites, the fare was high. The insurance premium is predicated upon the price of the cabin. For each cruise, the premiums would have been at least in the $800+ range and sometimes far more for two people. Multiply that by about 50+ cruises we did not insure. That is a lot of money we saved. YES, we took a risk throughout the earlier cruises but the risk now is lower while we are older and not as healthy.

Because we saved so very much on all the previous cruises, if we have to cancel an $8,000 cruise now, we are still so far ahead.

The ONLY way we took that chance was because our having evacuation coverage and world wide medical. What we would (will) lose, if we have to cancel, for uninsured cruise is the price of the cruise and possibly air fare.

I am just responding to some of the posts above, Hal's insurance is not based on age, so the same for a 13 yo or a 90 year based on the cost of the cabin. Note that it is secondary insurance and only covers $10K medical but $50K evacuation and I believe medical associated with the ecavation. It also has the cancel for any reason with 90% back and of course 100% if its for a covered medical reason.

I'm still looking for cheaper options. It seems to be about 10%. I'm not sure I want to save a couple 100 and loose the peace of mind that comes with canceling for any reason...

The ONLY way we took that chance was because our having evacuation coverage and world wide medical. What we would (will) lose, if we have to cancel, for uninsured cruise is the price of the cruise and possibly air fare.

Sail is your Medical evacuation Coverage part of your regular medical Insurance or do you have a separate policy..

We never took Insurance until we were on Medicare..Unfortunately Medicare will not cover medical out of the country & our secondary Insurance will therefore not cover us..However I'm also wondering if it is possible to get separate medical evacuation coverage & how does it work ?

Wonder if everyone is aware of the fact that even if you have Med. Evacuation Coverage the Dr. at the Hospital which the injured/ill passenger was taken must certify that their Hospital cannot adequately treat the patient & they must be evacuated home..Many Hospital Physicians will not certify that they cannot treat you..It absolutely does no good if the patient or accompanying member says they want to go home..

We had a case on the Prinsendam last April where the mother of a CC member became very ill & was taken to a Hospital in Manaus (in the Amazon)..No one in that Hospital spoke English & they did not discover that her Mom actually had either a Heart Attack or a Stroke...Her daughter called the Insurance Company & requested that her mother be evacuated..They refused to do it..There was another Hospital nearby with English speaking Dr.s but the ambulance took her to a different one.. Her daughter then borrowed $50,000 from her own bank to get her mother home.. It took almost a week & sadly her Mother passed away within a week after she returned home.. Perhaps her mother would still have passed away, but it can be very scary when you are in a country where you cannot be understood & don't know if the Dr. is competent...

You have to read the small print on all these policies..

And I too question what Insurance could be 50% of the cost?...We are on Medicare (over 65) & any policy we've ever purchased through Insure my trip.com was only about 10% of the total cost even when we went to South America..For a younger person it would even be lower especially since their cruise was a three day repo. cruise within the US & Canada..

Insurance purchased thru Insuremytrip.com is not only based on Cost plus Age, but it's it is also based on final Destination...

Coupleonthego..So sorry to hear about your Husband, but you are fortunate that it happened before your trip..Perhaps you might check out Insuremytrip.com next time to compare policies..Hope your DH is up a ready to go on a cruise very soon.. In the meantime Happy Easter to you..

Cheers everyone..:) Betty

..........I guess someone who can afford Suites can afford the loss of the cruise....

This post, directed toward one of our fellow members, is unnecessary and of no assistance to the OP.

As I read the OP, I was feeling very sorry about the entire situation ... mostly about the illness of her husband.

Airlines have always been lenient in this regard whereas no cruise line is and shouldn't be. First it would cost them untold $$$ that we would end up paying if they had to check out every story of illness to determine it's authenticity (insurance companies do this now). So in effect, we would still all be paying for insurance. It would simply be built into the price of everyone's cruise across the board.

If you sign up for a cruise and don't take insurance, you take a risk. It's gambling. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. No one can expect the cruise companies to cover the cost of a risk you chose to take.

And if I ever hear of a cruise line backing down in a situation like this, if I see one post saying how wonderful a cruise line is in a situation like this, I'll raise the roof. We spend hundreds of dollars on insurance every year to protect ourselves. If you don't do that, it's a shame but a very good lesson learned for the future.

We bought hurricane shutters down here for $5000. I'd be perfectly happy if I never had to close them (that's not happening). Same with Long Term Care Insurance. Money well spent for peace of mind.

As others have said, I'm sure the OP could have gotten cancellation insurance for a very small amount given they're young and insuring just a small sum. Research next time will pay off in more ways than one. And if you don't have to use it? All the better ... you'd rather go on the cruise anyway.:D

Heather, first of all my post was not directed to anyone in particular, which is why I said "someone". We all know there are multimillionares who cruise and don't have to worry about loosing their home after paying $50K, plus other medical to be evacuated somewhere. So, please do not read anything into my post. Perhaps the cost of a policy for a World Voyage would not be worth the cost.

Betty, what a sad story. Apparently there are insurance and evacuation policys that let you have more of a choice in where you go. I'm pretty certain of this but haven't had time to research. It may be to the nearest "English Speaking Hospital". I guess when I hear "evacuation", I definately think of it from the ship to the nearest hospital. But, that it why we need posts where others tell us which insurance policys actually paid out and were good to work with. I know they are out there. I had water damage in my home a number of years ago and the adjuster did even bother to stop by. I just gave him a proposal. All he wanted me to do was measure my walls including ceiling height so he could work my numbers. The check was over $2K and my insurance premium has not gone up two years later.

Did you find out which policy this women had with the heart attack that could not get home? If the policy was to the closest English speaking hospital she would have had to be taken somewhere else.

I also know a three night stay in a big US hospital with little work, mostly monitoring runs at least $10K, so I wouldn't want to be without insurance to cover at least part.

Jade, just to clear up the matter I have made the address bold so you can see that you were indeed addressing a specific person. I purposely left out that part of your post, but now see I need to include it.

When you are not addressing a specfic person, you generally don't use their name at the beginning of the paragraph.

Heather, don't you have anything else better to do today?

Btw, I believe someone else pointed out that the posting guidelines prohibit making critical comments about spelling and grammar errors.

This isn't the first time you have misunderstood a post of mine.

Thanks to all who posted the kind comments and well wishes for my husband's recovery. We both really appreciate the kindness and positive thoughts. So far his recovery is going smoothly and barring any further complications, he should be feeling better and enjoying regular activity in about four weeks.

As many of you pointed out, we are in fact, very thankful that his medical emergency happened prior to the trip instead of during it. We are also thankful that this was just a short, fairly inexpensive, repositioning cruise, rather than a longer, more expensive one. There are, indeed, many things to be thankful for.

Many of you questioned the cost of the travel insurance. Our cruise fare was $200 per person and the HAL insurance offered was $99 per person, so in effect, it was 50% of the total fare. A couple days after booking the trip, I tried to add it on but was told that insurance must be purchased at the time of booking so we were out of luck. I wasn't aware of the third party site that has been mentioned in this thread but I can assure you that it is now bookmarked on my computer. Is there a window of opportunity to purchase the insurance through insuremytrip.com?

Yes, as many of you suggested, this was a lesson well learned. We will not be booking future cruises without travel insurance.

Archived