Who Will Captain The Emerald?

wtevrfltsurbt

James Lay was most annoying last year on the Crown Princess.

I agree. :)

Can you tell me something about James Lay? Curious as to what ships he has been CD (already see he was on Crown) and has he done the Med ports before?

Thanks

Julia

Can you tell me something about James Lay? Curious as to what ships he has been CD (already see he was on Crown) and has he done the Med ports before?

Thanks

Julia

I don't recall having heard that he has sailed any of the european ports but then I could be mistaken. I thought he was more the caribbean guru.If he hasn't sailed in europe too bad. Makes things more difficult for the passengers when the CD doesn't know the ports. JMO

PTC

I don't recall having heard that he has sailed any of the european ports but then I could be mistaken. I thought he was more the caribbean guru.If he hasn't sailed in europe too bad. Makes things more difficult for the passengers when the CD doesn't know the ports. JMO

PTC

What does the Cruise Dire3ctor have to do with the ports? I thought he was in charge of the on ship activities....JMO

What does the Cruise Dire3ctor have to do with the ports? I thought he was in charge of the on ship activities....JMO

CD activities include port discussions or so at least I hope the Emerald will have that for passengers. It would be a shame if passengers ask questions and he can't help them. A good CD not only has great personality to interact with the passengers but also knowledge/experience in the ports the ship will sail to. Again, JMO.

PTC

Both the CD and their assistant should be knowledgeable enough to run a port talk...at a minimum, explain excursions and shopping and reiterate the basics, like departure times and things. Personality is huge...anyone know who I should expect on CB in May? I had Omar Lugo on Crown in October and he was pretty good.

So how does a CD get that knowledge/experience in the ports to begin with? :confused: If they aren't allowed to be a CD or assistant CD on a ship going to those ports they haven't previously been to, I think we will soon run out of knowledgeable/experienced CDs. JMHO.

If a CD is new to a ship and/or itinerary, I would reasonably think that the port talks and things are half prior experience...because think about it, public speaking is tough. The part about being in front of a crowd is one thing, and then the lecture material itself is probably out of a book or manual at a minimum until he/she has enough cruises under their belt to get out and see them all. Plus you've got to figure that there's some kind of institutional knowledge that's passed down.

If they aren't allowed to be a CD or assistant CD on a ship going to those ports they haven't previously been to, I think we will soon run out of knowledgeable/experienced CDs. JMHO.

I don't remember anyone referring to Assistant CD's. Let's hope Mr. Lay was assigned as an Assistant CD for the european ports so he has some experience.

, and then the lecture material itself is probably out of a book or manual at a minimum until he/she has enough cruises under their belt to get out and see them all. Plus you've got to figure that there's some kind of institutional knowledge that's passed down.

let's hope no one asks him a question until he has the material down or he actually visits some of the places.

Sort of like a bus driver being given a manual to fly an airplane, eh?

PTC

Archived