Video of Greek cruise ship sinking

cruisinbuddy

i am a cruise travel agent and i am shocked by the stupidity of people. THESE ARE NOTHING BUT LARGE BOATS. they are NOT invincible. any ship in the ocean can sink given the right circumstances. people think when they get on a boat that they are in a dream world where only good things happen and little fairies magicly make things safe with pixie dust. did ANYONE see the movie called titanic? anyone at all? people always ask me, are these ships safe, they cant sink can they? are you stupid? of course they can sink, they are made of steel you morons ! its a matter if WHEN not IF a big mega ship sinks, it will happen, maybe not today, maybe not next year , but eventually the right amount of things will go wrong and disaster strikes, ill be ready, you should be to. if your scared of that happening, maybe you should stay home.....

i am a cruise travel agent and i am shocked by the stupidity of people. THESE ARE NOTHING BUT LARGE BOATS. they are NOT invincible. any ship in the ocean can sink given the right circumstances. people think when they get on a boat that they are in a dream world where only good things happen and little fairies magicly make things safe with pixie dust. did ANYONE see the movie called titanic? anyone at all? people always ask me, are these ships safe, they cant sink can they? are you stupid? of course they can sink, they are made of steel you morons ! its a matter if WHEN not IF a big mega ship sinks, it will happen, maybe not today, maybe not next year , but eventually the right amount of things will go wrong and disaster strikes, ill be ready, you should be to. if your scared of that happening, maybe you should stay home.....

I think that what is most troubling about the sinking of the Sea Diamond was that in clear weather with normal seas the captain(?) managed to run the ship aground a clearly marked reef and then proceeded to violated international rules about evacuating the passengers before trying to remove the ship from the reef. It is also troubling that there are reports coming in that the crew didn't know what to do, that they weren't sure how to lower the lifeboats, they were actually reading the instructions step by step, passengers had to translate for them and help the crew find an ax.

When you get on a ship you are putting your life in the hands of the crew. It is very fortunate that only two people were lost during this tragedy.

I think that what is most troubling about the sinking of the Sea Diamond was that in clear weather with normal seas the captain(?) managed to run the ship aground a clearly marked reef and then proceeded to violated international rules about evacuating the passengers before trying to remove the ship from the reef. It is also troubling that there are reports coming in that the crew didn't know what to do, that they weren't sure how to lower the lifeboats, they were actually reading the instructions step by step, passengers had to translate for them and help the crew find an ax.

When you get on a ship you are putting your life in the hands of the crew. It is very fortunate that only two people were lost during this tragedy.

We sailed on the Sea Diamond in June 2006 and wrote a review for the CC which they never used. Here is the link to our BB chat review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=138031&page=12

My #1 observation of the ship and Louis Cruises in general was the complete disorganization of the staff and systems. Nothing worked right and in hine sight, I am not at all surprised that the captain totally screwed up, because the responsibility for the poor running of the ship I saw on our trip, was the responsibility of the top of the command structure, Captain and officers.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
We sailed on the Sea Diamond in June 2006 and wrote a review for the CC which they never used. Here is the link to our BB chat review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=138031&page=12

My #1 observation of the ship and Louis Cruises in general was the complete disorganization of the staff and systems. Nothing worked right and in hine sight, I am not at all surprised that the captain totally screwed up, because the responsibility for the poor running of the ship I saw on our trip, was the responsibility of the top of the command structure, Captain and officers.

Quick question: Did they do life boat drills when you sailed? Just curious if it was like the drills they do here in the US - taking roll call to make sure everyone attends. Thanks

Guest nhrich
Quick question: Did they do life boat drills when you sailed? Just curious if it was like the drills they do here in the US - taking roll call to make sure everyone attends. Thanks

They did have a drill when we sailed her in September. I don't remember whether they took roll call or not, though.

tatumdog, with all due respect for the Allain family, that was funny and true.

Yes, disasters are bad. I am not sure what people expect during a disaster, cocktail service? People will always complain about something. I saw some of the survivors on TV complaining that they had to climb steep ramps and cross a plank to get to safety.

I think the important words are "to safety". You got off. Bow down and Thank God. This is real life - anything can happen at any time. There are no guarantees on vacation or off. Stuff happens.

Now, that doesn't mean that the Captain did nothing wrong. Mistakes happen too.

Generally I'd have to say Cruise Ships seem pretty safe though.

Anyway, I was actually on the Sea Diamond last year in July.

IMG_3058_forblogger.jpg

Yes, they did drills.

I don't recall role being taken.

It was festive. You chatted. You wondered if you would really ever have to use the thing and if it made you look fat. People blew the little whistle on the life jacket until they realized that someone else blew on the whistle last Monday and someone else again last Friday. It was a cruise and we were on vacation.

IMG_2883_forblogger.jpg

The crew seemed very professional but the only time I met anyone connected with the actual running of the ship was at the Captains dinner.

IMG_3208_forblogger.jpg

The equipment seemed up to date and well kept.

IMG_3075_forblogger.jpg

Maybe they should have had someone here, looking for rocks. I dunno.

They did when we were aboard. They're standard procedure everywhere.

Hi, That's not only in the U.S.

That's what they must do AND DO on every ship wherever in the world they sail.

Sometimes the lifeboatdrill is not held at the boatdecks but in a lounge (on those big ships sailing from the US to the Caribbean), but a lifeboatdrill is mandatory ! !

Archived