Video of Greek cruise ship sinking

cruisinbuddy

cruisinbuddy,

Yes, the link works.

We're in Port Canaveral now waiting for our cruise to begin tomorrow and I showed the video to my sons. My 12 year old said; 'That sucks. Will they get to go on another one?' I said 'What do you mean?' He said; 'Well, since their ship sank, will they get to go on a different ship or will they have to wait?' :D All I could say was I'm sure they'll either get to go on another one or get their money back. I was hoping to impress upon them to pay close attention at the muster drill, but I think they've become familiar enough with cruising that they're just here to have fun! :)

Good thing this ship wasn't full of whiney Carnival cruisers. Could you imagine the outrageous posts. All the hype about being traumatized etc...It would never end.

I hope you are joking. That ship's passengers were mostly from the US. I usually think of a ship as being watertight enough to NOT sink like a rock as it did. I think we are really lucky they got people off as quick as they did... could have been a horrible tragedy.

I noted the 2 missing people were 2 of a family of 4. The mother, who survived, said their cabin was quickly filling with water. If I saw that I would be preparing to jump overboard... as people were waiting to climb down rope ladders!

I usually think of a ship as being watertight enough to NOT sink like a rock as it did.

Since Cruiseliners are not built for War, they sink pretty fast as did the Titanic and this Greek one the other day. Only Naval War Ships have pockets in their haul to keep them afloat as much as possible.

300px-USSSpruanceDD-963.jpg

Some of the headlines said that it actually sank 15 hours after hitting the rocks. Most articles stated that local boats along with military craft were pressed into service. While the local boats could probably easily spring into action, I imagine the military craft did not arrive immediately.

While the final actual sinking may have been swift she could have been laid up on the rocks for a fairly longtime which enable for the rescue of all but 2 of the passengers. Then because of wave action etc the ship finally "gave up" and did the so-called quick sinking.

Here's the most important part of this story:

"The crew members were more scared than we were," said Lizbeth Mata, 15, a native of the Dominican Republic who was vacationing with her parents and brother. Mata said some crew members left before the passengers: "They were yelling and screaming — didn't know what to do."

So.. Pay attention to the muster drill and be prepared for Plan B.. Whatever that may be.

In late 1966 or was it early 1967, I was in the Navy and we were on a Mediteranean cruise. A Greek ferry going from Crete to Greece sank. We participated in rescue operations. It took us all night to get to the scene. I don't know if there were any survivors. We didn't find any, but we did pick up 7 bodies, some of whom had life vests on. Other ships also picked up bodies.

I don't know what's up with these Greek ships.

Since Cruiseliners are not built for War, they sink pretty fast as did the Titanic and this Greek one the other day. Only Naval War Ships have pockets in their haul to keep them afloat as much as possible.

300px-USSSpruanceDD-963.jpg

When I was on my 1st cruise we did the bridge tour and were told that ships these days have the water tight areas, Ie, close the door and only that part of the ship will be flooded, unlike the Titanic. The ship I was on was about the same age as this one. I'm wondering if the crew really screwed up.

I watched the youtube video (the other one didn't work on my computer)....what were those pinkish-red things floating around at the very end? I could get no idea of the size of them....

They had flashing lights on them, probably some type of emergency floatation device, they left them for Navigational Hazard Bouys for now.

Fred

I watched the youtube video (the other one didn't work on my computer)....what were those pinkish-red things floating around at the very end? I could get no idea of the size of them....

Those were life rafts. You know those white, barrell looking things they have stacked up next to the life boats when you're on a cruise? When they hit water, they automatically come out of the shell and inflate into a good sized life raft. To me, it looked like the Sea Diamond did not have all that many lifeboats for having over 1000 passengers onboard.

There were 128 high school students from here on that ship... it's all we have heard about on the news for the last few days... not a trip these kids will soon forget. Everytime I watch that footage I get chills... very scary.

They just announced that the captain has been charged with negligence in the sinking. Should be interesting to see what happens with this one.

As well as 5 other officers....

The captain and five officers of a cruise ship that sank off an Aegean Sea island were charged Saturday with negligence, state television reported. The six officers were charged with causing a shipwreck through negligence, breaching international shipping safety regulations and polluting the environment, state NET said. All were released pending further investigations.

If convicted, the officers face a maximum five-year sentence.

Nearly 1,600 people were retrieved from the sinking ship Thursday in a three-hour rescue operation after the vessel foundered on a volcanic reef, but some passengers complained of an insufficient supply of life vests, little guidance from crew members and being forced into a steep climb down rope-ladders to safety.

Divers continued to search for a Frenchman and his daughter who disappeared after their cabin flooded with water when the ship struck rocks.

From Cruise Critic's website:

"(April 7, 12:13 p.m.) -- The captain and five officers of Louis Cruise Lines' Sea Diamond have been charged with "causing a shipwreck through negligence," according to media reports.

The six officers were also charged with "breaching international shipping safety regulations and polluting the environment," CBS News reports. All were released pending further investigation; the captain, chief mate, second mate, third mate, chief cabin steward and housekeeper had been arrested after the incident."

Can someone tell me why the housekeeper was arrested? When I read the officers were being charged, I didn't think that included the housekeeper as well!

Something else that keeps playing through my mind. If I remember correctly, I remember hearing that it should only take about 30 - 60 minutes to evacuate a ship the size of the Carnival Conquest. I think I remember hearing that while I was onboard the vessel. If it took them over 3 hours to evacuate the Sea Diamond, can crew members actually evacuate a mega liner in under an hour?

Prime reason why you should NOT skip the muster drill. It only takes about 20 minutes, and it could be the difference between you living to see another day!!!

From Cruise Critic's website:

"(April 7, 12:13 p.m.) -- The captain and five officers of Louis Cruise Lines' Sea Diamond have been charged with "causing a shipwreck through negligence," according to media reports.

The six officers were also charged with "breaching international shipping safety regulations and polluting the environment," CBS News reports. All were released pending further investigation; the captain, chief mate, second mate, third mate, chief cabin steward and housekeeper had been arrested after the incident."

Can someone tell me why the housekeeper was arrested? When I read the officers were being charged, I didn't think that included the housekeeper as well!

Something else that keeps playing through my mind. If I remember correctly, I remember hearing that it should only take about 30 - 60 minutes to evacuate a ship the size of the Carnival Conquest. I think I remember hearing that while I was onboard the vessel. If it took them over 3 hours to evacuate the Sea Diamond, can crew members actually evacuate a mega liner in under an hour?

Prime reason why you should NOT skip the muster drill. It only takes about 20 minutes, and it could be the difference between you living to see another day!!!

Chief Housekeeper, whilst not a Marine Officer may well have had some responsibility for passenger evacuation. On most cruiseships, the Hotel Director is responsible for getting all passengers to the Muster Stations

SOLAS requires a complete abandonship of a vessel to be able to be done within 30 minutes.

My guess is the evacuation took so long because it appears to have been slowed down for the safety of passengers. Getting passengers loaded into liferafts and lowering them into the water is a hazardous operation usually resulting in some injuries. When it became evident that the ship was not in immediate danger of sinking, tender boats from the shore were brought out to offload the passengers, a much safer option. Had they needed to evacuate more quickly I beleive it could have been done.

Archived