Lumberjack show in Ketchikan?

mjmalino

Hello,

We will be taking our first cruise ever in June, and it is to Alaska. I will be traveling with my DH and 2 DS (ages 9 and 8). As an excursion in Ketchikan (actually this is our most cost effective one that we have planned) we have chosen the Lumberjack show. I think that it sounds sort of hokey, but something that my 2 boys will like. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

MJ

We will be taking our first cruise ever in June, and it is to Alaska. I will be traveling with my DH and 2 DS (ages 9 and 8). As an excursion in Ketchikan (actually this is our most cost effective one that we have planned) we have chosen the Lumberjack show. I think that it sounds sort of hokey, but something that my 2 boys will like. Any thoughts?

I think you will all enjoy the lumberjacks. These guys are great athletes and put on quite an entertaining show. Some have called it "sappy", but I prefer to call it good, clean, family fun. Your boys should love it and its so close to the docks...just walk right down the street. Then, be sure you walk to Christmas Creek and around Ketchikan. It is a wonderful little town, so unique, and full of great photographic shots. Also, be sure to keep your eyes peeled every time you come into ports for the eagles. They are usually everywhere. Look up in the trees for what looks like a white soccer ball ----Eagle !!! They sit on the light poles around the water a lot too. Have a great time..gg

the show is just a 1/2 block from the dock area, nice short walk. it's right along the small boat harbor..the kids will get a kick out of watching the boats/eagles and maybe the salmon. we didn't go to the show, but we walked behind it to look at the boats. small area, seating area is nice, no one is too far from the action..the kids will be able to see and enjoy easily. we heard a lot of laughter, oh(s) and ah(s) coming from the show.

this is the view from behind their fence

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2566013960096824660QKjTjf

Thanks so much for the replies. I was hoping that this was a good choice for us,and from the responses, I believe that we will not be disappointed. I also like the fact that the show is not very long, which is good since we are not in Ketchikan as long as the other ports and we should still have time to walk around town.

MJ

We actually went to the show when we were there the first time...my DH was picked out of the audience to go down on stage. It was enjoyable and good family fun. The boys should enjoy the lumberjacks throwing the axes and the speed at which they climb the poles and buzz the logs.

We happen to be at a taping of the show for an outdoor cable show world semi-final competition so it did go a little longer. Take a time to get there a little bit early so that you have a chance to walk around the store and see some of the displays. The entrance line actually forms in the gift shop and goes out through a back door. Enjoy your time there.....

Here is something we didn't do last time but sounded "hoakey" but fun and affordable. We will be checking it out when we are there first of June. Cape Fox Hill-Creek Street Funicular On Creek Street you will have no trouble finding the funicular tram up the hill to Cape Fox Lodge. The funicular costs $3 (2006 prices) roundtrip for adults and is free for children. An attendant on the tram will take your money as you board and the fee covers as many rides up or down the mountain all day as you wish. (If no one is there just push the up button and go). The ride up gives you some view of the town and hopefully out to the harbor, but the ride takes merely minutes. At the top you will find the Cape Fox Lodge, a descent hotel with restaurant, coffeeshop, Alaskan art and most notably, "Circle of the Clan or Council of the Clan" totem poles. Don't Miss These!! This is a nice place to get away from the shopping frenzy, take a few pictures around the property, stop at the coffeeshop and relax. When you're ready to head down to the main street and/or dock area, instead of taking the funicular try walking down "Married Men's Trail which will deliver you back to Creek Street. It's an easy walk down a trail with mature, fragrant trees for shading. Directions: Funicular on Creek Street near the Cross Over Bridge

Hello,

... Lumberjack show. I think that it sounds sort of hokey, but something that my 2 boys will like.

It is, but they will. And likely, you will, too. Once was enough, but it was fun and we don't regret seeing it once..:)

We actually went to the show when we were there the first time...my DH was picked out of the audience to go down on stage. It was enjoyable and good family fun. The boys should enjoy the lumberjacks throwing the axes and the speed at which they climb the poles and buzz the logs.

We happen to be at a taping of the show for an outdoor cable show world semi-final competition so it did go a little longer. Take a time to get there a little bit early so that you have a chance to walk around the store and see some of the displays. The entrance line actually forms in the gift shop and goes out through a back door. Enjoy your time there.....

Here is something we didn't do last time but sounded "hoakey" but fun and affordable. We will be checking it out when we are there first of June. Cape Fox Hill-Creek Street Funicular On Creek Street you will have no trouble finding the funicular tram up the hill to Cape Fox Lodge. The funicular costs $3 (2006 prices) roundtrip for adults and is free for children. An attendant on the tram will take your money as you board and the fee covers as many rides up or down the mountain all day as you wish. (If no one is there just push the up button and go). The ride up gives you some view of the town and hopefully out to the harbor, but the ride takes merely minutes. At the top you will find the Cape Fox Lodge, a descent hotel with restaurant, coffeeshop, Alaskan art and most notably, "Circle of the Clan or Council of the Clan" totem poles. Don't Miss These!! This is a nice place to get away from the shopping frenzy, take a few pictures around the property, stop at the coffeeshop and relax. When you're ready to head down to the main street and/or dock area, instead of taking the funicular try walking down "Married Men's Trail which will deliver you back to Creek Street. It's an easy walk down a trail with mature, fragrant trees for shading. Directions: Funicular on Creek Street near the Cross Over Bridge

Thanks so much for the recommendation. I have to admit, it was so hard to choose things to do in the ports, especially Ketichan since we are only there from 6a-2p. It really doesn't sound like enough time to fully enjoy the town.

MJ

Ketchikan is such a great place to just walk around! Be sure not to miss the brothel near Creek Street (I think). It's a hoot! It's worth the small price of admission, and it won't take you long to walk through it. I can't think of the exact name.

We last visited Alaska in September 2001. Due to the 9/11 attacks a day or two before, our floatplane trip was cancelled so we just ended up walking around town for the day. It's such a neat place, especially to just watch the salmon jumping up stream!

Archived