boston to bermuda new ship?

vinman147

If the Dawn is used for the Boston/Bermuda itinerary, it can only dock at Kings Wharf on the west end so I doubt it will be in Bermuda more than one day. Only smaller ships which can dock in Hamilton and St. George can have an extended stay in Bermuda.

On our recent (3/1) Dawn cruise I asked several senior staff about this "rumor" and was told it is NOT a rumor, but fact. I was told the Dawn WILL be sailing Boston to Bermuda in 2008.

I find that fascinating considering I'm on the Dawn's New York to Miami repositioning cruise in October. Does that mean another repo in the spring to Boston? Hard to believe but who knows. :confused: :confused:

yup yup. My TA told me that the NCL Boston-Bermuda ship is being replaced for next year..

I've read similar statements from other NCL passengers. Has anyone heard them speculate on how long they would be in Bermuda?

Be better if they kept a pure bermuda itinerary, 2.5 days at hamilton and one at king's wharf. Electricon noted that ships just as big are fitting into hamilton

I wrote the Costa Magica (less than 900 feet in length) is scheduled to stay in Hamilton this May, not that it has been there. Of course, if its scheduled to, it probably can fit. It appears the limiting factor at Hamilton is the length of the cruise pier's berths. I believe the Costa Magica will dock at the longer freight pier, because other cruise ships are also scheduled to be docked in Hamilton when it's there.

I agree, a Bermuda only cruise will be better choice than making Bermuda one stop in a multi island cruise. But I don't think Bermuda will allow weekly cruise ship visits to Hamilton's freight pier.

How can any ship spend four days at Bermuda when other ships and other cruise lines are using Kings Warf? There are too many ships calling for the available space.... I count 11 different ships sailing into Kings Warf within the next year, 4 ships doing Kings Warf in a steady basis during the summer season. Most likely the Dawn will do only one day in Bermuda.

How can any ship spend four days at Bermuda when other ships and other cruise lines are using Kings Warf? There are too many ships calling for the available space.... I count 11 different ships sailing into Kings Warf within the next year, 4 ships doing Kings Warf in a steady basis during the summer season. Most likely the Dawn will do only one day in Bermuda.

Here's the King's Wharf schedule this summer:

Sun Explorer of the Seas (9 day)

Mon Norwegian Spirit 8-5 (8 day)

Tue Grandeur of the Seas (5 day), Explorer of the Seas (5 day)

Wed Grandeur of the Seas (5 day), Explorer of the Seas (5 Day)

Thu Norwegian Dawn 8-6 (7 day)

Fri

Sat

Note, only one of the Royal Caribbean ships dock on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, they alternate every other week. The Explorer of the Seas arrives on Sunday the other week. Likewise the Spirit docks on Monday one week, the following week it doesn't sail to Bermuda. Therefore this year, King's Wharf can only dock one ship at a time.

It seems the government of Bermuda wishes to expand King's Wharf for two ships, but it hasn't funded the expansion yet. I believe they are looking for one or more cruise lines to help fund this project. I don't know if any have offered any financial help.

It will be an end of an era when the Majesty finishes. And it will be a shame not having a ship fitted to call at St Georges.

This summer, four ships will make calls to St. George.

Celebrity Journey, Empress of the Seas, Norwegian Crown and Norwegian Majesty.

The Crown leave the NCL fleet this fall, the Empress of the Seas will leave RCI fleet next year. If the Majesty is replaced by the Dawn,, as recent rumpors suggest, it looks like ony the Journey will be sailing to St. George next year. But, the Majesty might still sail to Bermuda next year, just not from Boston.

We'll know more soon, when NCL posts the summer 2008 itineraries for Bermuda.

I went to a gathering held by the cruise consultant on our March cruise. The question of the Bermuda sailings came up and how long the Majesty will be around. He told us that the Crown is being retired this year and that next year will be the last for the Majesty. He had no idea what would happen after that.

I could have sworn I heard that Celebrity was rolling out a couple of smaller ships about the size of the crown they may have gobled up these itineraries and put a squeze on norwegian to either get out of the way or build their own smaller ships.

The Majesty is being replaced by the Dream.

NCL wanted to put the Dawn on the itinerary, but Bermuda told them they had to keep a small ship in St George's ergo.. the Dream.

The problem with the Dream is she is too long to make the turn around at St. George since she was stretched at the end of the last century. At 754 feet, she is 54 feet to long.

The length of the Majesty is 680 feet. The limit at St. George is 700 feet. And the Dawn is 960 feet. I figure if the Majesty will stick around another year, and with the Dawn replacing the Majesty in Boston, that will leave the Majesty to sail the longer cruises to Bermuda from New York, allowing the Dawn to do Bermuday/Caribbean cruises from Boston. Basically a switch of ships and itineraries.

Archived