Rainbow Falls Or Akaka Falls??

cruisin24

I can only share info on Akaka...

It wasn't hard to get there, but it is a bit off the main road -- you drive through a cute village and some fields -- you'll be convinced you took a wrong turn, but then you'll see a bit of jungle in the midst of the fields! You do have to walk down some steps to get to the paved trail. The trail itself is nice, but it is long! Frommer's says it's a one mile loop. The falls are spectacular -- well worth the hike!

Rainbow Falls is on the edge of Hilo. The falls are just a short walk from the parking lot, much easier to get to than Akaka. As noted by PDAZ, there is a bit of walking involved along a circular route and there are some steps involved. If you go clockwise, they are at the end of the route. Since you will be gone from the car, don't leave anything of value in it, not even the trunk.

Just a little more up the same road to Rainbow Falls, you will also find Boiling Pots. So you get 2 falls, very close together. Both easy to reach from the parkingarea.

Akaka has a longer fall, but farther out and need longer walk.

I guess I should have asked with my original post....is it doable to see Akaka Falls and still spend a fair amount of time at VNP??

Would I be better to go to Akaka Falls first or VNP?? Will VNP be too busy if I go to Akaka Falls first?

Thanks

Debbie

If you miss Akaka Falls, there are still other waterfalls on the other Islands to see. This is your only chance to see an active volcano. Do VNP first and if you're back in Hilo around noon, you would have time to do Akaka.

If you miss Akaka Falls, there are still other waterfalls on the other Islands to see. This is your only chance to see an active volcano. Do VNP first and if you're back in Hilo around noon, you would have time to do Akaka.

Ditto. We actually left VNP later than that -- 1:30 I think -- and made it to Akaka and then to the Tropical Botanical Gardens (although we didn't stay long there).

What we did was head out to VNP first because it is farther away & takes several hours to see especially if you want to see lava. On the way back, go to Akaka Falls. Rainbow was nice, Akaka was amazing.

You travel down 7 Mile Scenic Drive which should be it's own destination. To get to Akaka falls, you'll take a short hike through a beautiful tropical forest.

If you appreciate scenary, do Akaka Falls!

• 1 month later...
What we did was head out to VNP first because it is farther away & takes several hours to see especially if you want to see lava. On the way back, go to Akaka Falls. Rainbow was nice, Akaka was amazing.

You travel down 7 Mile Scenic Drive which should be it's own destination. To get to Akaka falls, you'll take a short hike through a beautiful tropical forest.

If you appreciate scenary, do Akaka Falls!

I need a little help. Trying to find directions to get to Akaka after leaving VNP (the most direct route) and for timing when would we need to be done at VNP to consider going to Akaka?

Thanks so much!

The map at the bottom of this site should give you a pretty good idea of the route.

http://www.driveguidemagazines.com/big_island_hamakua_hilo.html

It's 28 miles from Hilo to the Volcano and Akaka is I think, 16 miles north of Hilo plus a 2-3 mile drive back 220. You then have that hike of about 1 mile. I don't think I would want to be going to Akaka Falls leaving any later than 1:30 pm from Hilo. Rtes 11 and 19 are great roads, a few traffic lights, but very easy driving. Even the road back to Akaka Falls is decent, but don't forget you have to return the car to the airport and then get back to the ship. If you're not leaving until 6 pm(5:30 boarding time), you should have not problem. Someone in reasonable shape, should be able to do the walk in about 45 minutes. As mentioned before, do not leave any valuables in the car as there is no security in the area.

Also I should point out that on the map, it shows a scenic rte toward the coast, it kind of paralells rte 19. If you have

time it really is worthwhile.

The map at the bottom of this site should give you a pretty good idea of the route.

http://www.driveguidemagazines.com/big_island_hamakua_hilo.html

It's 28 miles from Hilo to the Volcano and Akaka is I think, 16 miles north of Hilo plus a 2-3 mile drive back 220. You then have that hike of about 1 mile. I don't think I would want to be going to Akaka Falls leaving any later than 1:30 pm from Hilo. Rtes 11 and 19 are great roads, a few traffic lights, but very easy driving. Even the road back to Akaka Falls is decent, but don't forget you have to return the car to the airport and then get back to the ship. If you're not leaving until 6 pm(5:30 boarding time), you should have not problem. Someone in reasonable shape, should be able to do the walk in about 45 minutes. As mentioned before, do not leave any valuables in the car as there is no security in the area.

Also I should point out that on the map, it shows a scenic rte toward the coast, it kind of paralells rte 19. If you have

time it really is worthwhile.

Thanks so much! I really appreciate your help. Great information.

Diane

Archived