Emerald Lake drive questions

Sisa

We are interested in doing the drive to Emerald Lake. However, we have a number of questions, and were hoping for some advice:

1) Nervous driver: Is the drive to Emerald Lake at all precarious (small mountain roads, hair pin turns, deep drops over cliffs, etc). I am a good driver, but a bit afaid of heights. I can't drive well on small mountain, hairpins turns roads.

2) What to do when we get there: we have a group of 8 people, ranging in age from 74 to 8. Once we are there, is hiking required? Some of us love to hike; others would be unable to.

3) alaskan dog camp: I have heard there might be a stop off to visit alaskan sled dogs, somewhere along the way. Is this possible to do on this trip? How long would this take?

4) How long does the trip take in general?

We appreciate any advice you can share with us. Thank you very much!

I have gotten some answers to the same quetions (as I haven't gone yet either but plan to) but don't want to post them since I'm not 100% the answers I got are correct. I'll watch and wait with you.

As far as what to do I will tell you we plan to stop in Skagway before we hit the road - probably before we get to the rental car place and pick up lunch somewhere. I have a collapsable cooler that I'm taking and we plan to have a picnic lunch at Emerald Lake. Any suggestion from those who have been to Skagway as to where to pick up sandwiches and drinks?

Can anyone recommend WHERE a good place would be at the lake? Are there picnic areas? Are they well marked? Are they restrooms?

The drive is quite easy. You can stop along the way - the entire drive is very pretty with waterfalls and mountains. You could do some short hiking near the road - what we did was not really "hiking" but just parking the car for 1/2 hour and walking away from the road to small lakes/ponds, taking in the beauty. The day we did it the weather was very nice.

At Emerald Lake I don't specifically recall hiking trails but I would not be surprised if there are some. I just don't recall.

You can also stop in Carcross for a short visit. Very small place, good general store with ice cream.

Be sure to print out Murrays' (Yukon's) guide for the drive. It is mentioned frequently in various threads on the Alaska board so should be easy to find. I don't recall the link offhand but a quick search will easily find it.

John

As PP says, the entire drive is very easy. The road is well maintained and marked. As soon as you pass the summit, the road is pretty flat. I do suggest to switch driver when you come back, so both people can enjoy the scenic view.

at Emerald Lake, I would suggest riding a horse with Joni. Her website is www.yukonhorse.com.

Thanks so much for your help. I can relax about the driving, I guess. Does anyone know anything more about the lenght of the drive in general, and also the question about visiting sled dogs?

Thanks!

We are a group of 7 and would have to rent 2 cars since Avis doesn't have vans unless someone drops one off and then you have to be first in line to get it. The trip is between 4 - 5 hrs depending on how many times you stop. We hired a local with a van by the hour. Cost alittle more than renting 2 cars with gas but you get a private tour guide and no one has to drive. He is also willing to provide a cooler with your choice of drinks and food for an addition cost. Hope this helps.

We have done this twice and love it!

The first part of the drive, over the pass, is on a good road but it is in the mountains so there are a few twisty parts and a drop off to one side. It is not bad for a road of this type. The road to Yosemite or to Dinosaur Monument is worse.

Once into the Yukon it is a long smooth drive to Emerald Lake, very easy driving. You will want to stop frequently to take pictures. The scenery is stunning!

The first place you will pass is the small town of Carcross. There is a restaurant there but not much else. Then you pass Caribou Crossing, Spirit Lake Inn and the World's Smallest Desert all within a few miles before arriving at Emerald Lake.

What we did with great success was to stop on the way back for lunch at Spirit Lake (wonderful pie from local blueberries!) and then get to Caribou Crossing just about the time the tour buses left there. Caribou Crossing has a very interesting museum of Arctic animals.

There is where you will find the dog musher's camp and it is lots of fun!! You should go to the website

Caribou Crossing

and make reservations in advance for the dog cart ride.

Driving back from Caribou Crossing it is about an hour and a half drive. But on the way out it will take a lot longer because of frequent photo stops!

Check our pics at

The Halls Cruise to Alaska

Have a GREAT cruise!

My highway guide is at http://www.explorenorth.com/library/roads/sklondike-photos1.html

Emerald Lake is primarily a viewpoint, although there is a spot along the road before you climb up to the viewpoint where you can access the lake, though there are no tables. There are also no hiking trails, though a couple of steep routes to the bluff above the viewpoint can easily be found.

As you'll see on the road guide, the husky place is at Caribou Crossing - http://www.yukonhskies.com/

Figure on 5 hours for the trip from Skagway to Emerald Lake and back - that allows time for photo, lunch and other stops.

Murray

We usually bring a collapsible cooler and order sandwiches from room service on the ship and then take them with us to eat; saves money and the sandwhiches are usually quite good

I think there may be a few comments about this suggestion.......

What we did with great success was to stop on the way back for lunch at Spirit Lake (wonderful pie from local blueberries!) and then get to Caribou Crossing just about the time the tour buses left there. Caribou Crossing has a very interesting museum of Arctic animals.

Please tell me a little more about lunch at Spirit Lake. What is the name of the restaurant ?? Food sounded yummy. Thank you for you great review and the pictures were so good. Thanks, gb

Where's the best place in town to stop and get sandwiches between the ship and the Avis office? Will they be open that early? We get in before the office opens so I plan to use that time to get lunch items.

Have you already made your car rental reservations w/Avis ?? How did you do it ?? We are scheduled to be in Skagway July 10 and will be renting a car as well. I believe the office opens at 8 am, but I don't know about the stores. gg in East Texas

PS We got snow today....first time in April, ever, and the first time this year. It was glorious for one whole hour and maybe more tonight. How 'bout Fort Worth ???

Have you already made your car rental reservations w/Avis ?? How did you do it ?? We are scheduled to be in Skagway July 10 and will be renting a car as well. I believe the office opens at 8 am, but I don't know about the stores. gg in East Texas

PS We got snow today....first time in April, ever, and the first time this year. It was glorious for one whole hour and maybe more tonight. How 'bout Fort Worth ???

GG:

You can make your reservations through the Avis Web site. That's what we did for August. I suggest you make a reservation ASAP as I understand they fill up fast. I think the office opens at 8 a.m. most days--we'll be there on a Sunday so it doesn't open until 9 a.m. :( Wish it opened at 8!!

Have a great time!

Cheers,

Jayne

As the previous poster stated you can go through the Avis at www.avisalaska.com and do it SOON as the cars go fast and they are the only reliable game in town from what I have been reading. I used this discount code: B790000 – Entertainment Book / Rate Code: 32 - not sure if it is still working. Got the car for just under $65. There are 4 of us so I figure that's a pretty cheap day.

We also are arriving on a Sunday (around 7) and the office doesn't open until 9 - so we will have time to pick something up.

Yup! Flurries today. Lived here for 11 years and don't recall ever having snow in April. It was pretty constant for a while. Heavier at times. Waiting to see what happens.

As PP says, the entire drive is very easy. The road is well maintained and marked. As soon as you pass the summit, the road is pretty flat. I do suggest to switch driver when you come back, so both people can enjoy the scenic view.

at Emerald Lake, I would suggest riding a horse with Joni. Her website is www.yukonhorse.com.

Aren't you referring to Southeast Tours with Joni??? Have you done this??? How was it???

About how much is car rental fees and how long does it take to get to Emerald Lake (excluding stop times).

Thank you all for your help. I did call Avis' 1-800 number to talk with a real person and he was able to make my reservation. I had talked to someone in Skagway at the RV place to try and find out when the Avis store opened and she said probably the first of May, so I decided I better not be waiting til then. I got us a car for July.......YEA !!!!! The rate was $89 plus tax, about $106 total for a med. size car. A bit steep, but heh,,,,,they have the market cornered. $65 was a darn good rate. gg

Thanks to both of you, by the way HAPPY EASTER AND HAVE A WONDERFUL SPRING! It's cold here. It should be in the 70's or 80's. Man frost killed some of my plants last night. Looks like a lot a places are having these strange cold spells.

Those eggs are gonna freeze out there that the children are collecting today. LOL Well my kids are grown and have been gone for awhile now so at least I won't be out there freezing, no collecting eggs here.

CJ :) :)

Thank you all for your help. I did call Avis' 1-800 number to talk with a real person and he was able to make my reservation. I had talked to someone in Skagway at the RV place to try and find out when the Avis store opened and she said probably the first of May, so I decided I better not be waiting til then. I got us a car for July.......YEA !!!!! The rate was $89 plus tax, about $106 total for a med. size car. A bit steep, but heh,,,,,they have the market cornered. $65 was a darn good rate. gg

GG:

Calling is probably the most expensive way to do it! You may want to reserve on their Web site and then call and cancel that one if it's not too much hassle for you--could save you at least $30.

We booked a full-size car on their Web site and got it for $72.89, including all taxes and fees.

Cheers,

Jayne

The Caribou Crossing web site does not have prices. If anyone is interested here are the prices they emailed me:

Caribou Crossing 2007

The following prices include Tax and are priced in Canadian

Dollars

The first number is for an Adult, the second is for a Child.

Wildlife Museum Admission $ 7.70 $ 5.57

Meal $ 15.85 $ 15.85

The following attraction prices must be added to the museum

admission price. They are not independent.

ATV

15 Min $ 31.80 $ 31.80

30 Min $ 58.30 $ 53.00

1 Hr. $ 111.30 $ 100.70

Dogride

15 Min $ 31.80 $ 31.80

30 min $ 53.00 $ 47.70

Husky Hike - 1 Hour $ 26.50 $ 26.50

Goldpanning $ 10.58 $ 10.58

Mini Golf $ 5.83 $ 4.77

Thanks, my girls. Are those prices Canadian or US?

I really want to DD to get to do the dogsledding, but Avis doesn't open until 9:00 a.m. and our ship leaves at 4:30, so we may have to settle for just the drive. I'm figuring we won't get the car until at least 9:30 between the lines and I've read they write the contacts our by hand, so it takes some time. But, at least we'll get to do the drive! We'll just have to watch the time really closely.

Thanks!

Jayne

:)

Please tell me a little more about lunch at Spirit Lake. What is the name of the restaurant ?? Food sounded yummy. Thank you for you great review and the pictures were so good. Thanks, gb

Spirit Lake is a small resort between Emerald Lake and Caribou Crossing. It is basically just a couple of buildings at the side of the road. They have some guest cabins and offer horseback rides, I know. There is only one restaurant, next to the gift shop. We were the only customers at the time. It was a small homestyle place, offering soup, sandwiches, and that wonderful blueberry pie!

Have a GREAT cruise!

Archived