any taxi cabs in Sorrento????

I am planning to take the train in Naples to go to Sorrento and then grab a cab to see Positano for a little walk around and lunch. Then, we take a cab again back to Sorrento to take the train back. We plan to stop in Pompeii for a couple hours before returning back to the ship.

Can this be done? Will I have trouble finding a cab in Sorrento?

THANKS!

I wanted to do the same thing and as I was doing my research I found that there was a bus, from the same hop on hop off services, that has daily departures to Positano and then back. You buy a roundtrip ticket. It sound like a nice trip but I am wondering if anyone has done this. Here is the website for this bus.

http://www.city-sightseeing.com/

Yes, you could hire a taxi in Sorrento, and like most medium size cities you will find taxis at the train station or even on the streets. They will be happy to take you to Positano, but you had best negotioate a price before you get in the taxi. Another option is the famous (some might say infamous) SITA bus that goes along the entire Amalfi Drive (it does stop at Positano). In prime season the SITA bus is often standing room only and only runs about once an hour.

Hank

• 1 year later...

We ended up taking the train both way and we never went beyond Sorrento. We did stop at Pompeii on the way back.

What I did remember from the train trip was that we actually walked all the way from ship to train station and it was in a bad/poor area that was not clean (meaning people didn't take pride in their neighborhood). I was at guard on the way (it was a bit scary) and upon arriving station , it was crazy with so many cars & people everywhere, The entrance wasn't clean or nice looking. However, when we go in the station, it was fine and we got a train out to Sorrento.

It was a little bit of an adventure between the ship and the train station in Naples. I remember feeling sad that the area along the waterfront really need a face lift, Naples would be much prettier when approaching the city from the sea. People told me that if we had travel further east into the city, it would be better area but I really felt if the city has taken care of the waterfront section, Naples as a whole would be a lovely city.

That's really interesting about the hop on excursion. We have stayed in Sorrento a couple of times, and done the HOHO tour which is very good. We looked at taking the local SITA bus to Positano- but people were being packed in like sardines, so we didn't fancy it. The hop on sounds like a useful alternative. We did take a boat trip to Amalfi, which calls in at Positano, you don't get the same scenic effect as the Amalfi dive, but it's very nice, and beats getting stuck in traffic.

By the way, taxis in Sorrento are horrendously expensive.

kate

Archived