So, who gets the new crew?

truecruiser

with all of the ships on order, it shld seem obvious that a whole slew of new employees will need to be hired. i'm guessing that carnival moves the experienced crew to the new ships, and puts new crew on established ships, maybe mixing in new crew with experienced crew. but this is a guess. does anyone know who gets the new crew, and how CCL decides it?

with all of the ships on order, it shld seem obvious that a whole slew of new employees will need to be hired. i'm guessing that carnival moves the experienced crew to the new ships, and puts new crew on established ships, maybe mixing in new crew with experienced crew. but this is a guess. does anyone know who gets the new crew, and how CCL decides it?

This is the Deal on new Cruise Ships, first they ask for Volunteers but no one wants to go because all of the Top Brass will be onboard the new ships and that means that the Crew would have to shine and work that much harder.... Another reason, the crews new supervisors whether they are Leads or Officers they will come down hard on the crew to ensure everything is up to par. Its pretty stressful during this time for the crew. If no one Volunteers, the first ones to go are the ones that are on their 2 months vacation because they are well rested.

Fred

What about when a ship has a new home port and after a dry dock? For instance Miracle moving to NYC.

The crew stays onboard during a repo or a drydock so there are no changes other than the usual crew rotation at the end of contracts. Remember the ship is their home. The home is the same, the location different.

Dave

Thank you

I tried asking this before but I phrased it the wrong way. If anyone knows, what does the crew do during a dry dock? Miracle is going dry for 11 days. Can the poor crew go home?

If anyone knows, what does the crew do during a dry dock?

Sounds to me, you submitted an app to work for a cruiseline? We all seen the Crew get worked in Drydock on the Travel Channel during one of the Cruiseship Refurb shows. They help with the demo of the ship, help carry equipment and supplies onboard and sleep on their breaks :D

Seems the only crew to go home would be at the end of a contract. Sure would like to observe Miracle in drydock to see exactly what gets done. We sail 5/27 and that is exactly 7 weeks. We sailed Crown Princess last Sept. and driving to Brooklyn was a piece of cake and so nice not having to fly. New York here we come.

While on the Conquest in December a young lady that was part of the CD's staff indicated that she had applied for a position on the new Freedom. But as of then (mid-December) she had not heard if that would happen or not. But I suppose it would be different for the dining staff and housekeeping crew but who knows for sure.

While on the Conquest in December a young lady that was part of the CD's staff indicated that she had applied for a position on the new Freedom. But as of then (mid-December) she had not heard if that would happen or not. But I suppose it would be different for the dining staff and housekeeping crew but who knows for sure.

When it comes to the CD Staff, its all about Seniorty, and those spots go fast as there is alot of brown nosing going on there :D

Now Fred, I certainly did not see that show or I would never have asked the question. I happen to find the dry dock theory intriguing. I happen to feel for these poor schlubs who work 7 day a week and wondered if they get respite during a dry dock.

Now Fred, I certainly did not see that show or I would never have asked the question. I happen to find the dry dock theory intriguing. I happen to feel for these poor schlubs who work 7 day a week and wondered if they get respite during a dry dock.

No different from U.S. Naval sailors when they go into Drydock and get ready for a deployment, you work your tail off 24/7. :D

Fred

Now you've got my curosity up. Does the crew get paid any more by the cruiselines when in dry dock seeing how they aren't getting any tips and that's where most of their pay comes from?

that's a good question. anyone know?

Happy Holidays everyone (easter, passover, etc.). (bunny already came and went here and PS2 is already getting overheated, LOL)

Archived