Many kids at formal nights?

:) I was just wondering if you see many kids at formal night. We were out shopping for the cruise and I was thinking that maybe the kids might want to sit this one out. I definately want them there but whats the norm??

Hey let me know before we by these suits!!!

We found NEW tuxedos on Ebay for $25 plus S&H. My boys LOVE dressing up. We all act like we're in a James Bond movies. WE get great photos and then I make them change right after dinner the first night. And YES, they wear them both nights. Less to pack, lots of fun. Cheaper than a suit, or even shirt and tie! We have a blast.

Karen

:) I was just wondering if you see many kids at formal night.

My girls are now 10 and 18 and have ALWAYS done the formal night with us. We love dressing up (my oldest daughter does change after dinner to hang out with her friends though). Makes GREAT family pictures!

We have our dresses all ready for our June cruise.

Please don't shy away from bringing your kids to formal night. I've seen many young people dressed in slacks, shirts and ties and sometimes blue blazers and young ladies in dresses and they look so sweet. It's only for a hour and then they can go change but it's such a great learning experience around proper table manners and social behavior in a "fancy" setting. Then they can go change and have fun!

The young people I have observed seemed to be enjoying themselves and the proud look of their parents when others complimented them on the sharp look was priceless :)

My son is now an adult, but on recent cruises we have seen many children dressed to the nines. They do look so nice and seem to be so happy in how they get complemented.

On our Mariner cruise though, some people we met had young grand children and they didn't want to miss anything that was going on with Adventure Ocean. The parents had expected them to be in the dining room on formal nights, but it seems that that's when AO had dinner in Johnny Rockets. The kids wanted to go with their friends rather than be at dinner with the family.

My advice would be buy the suits just before the cruise but don't take off the price tag. If the kids don't want to be in the dining room on formal night, return the suits when you get home. In any case, enjoy your cruise.

Katie

I saw many children at formal night (on the Splendour) and ALL of the young people (4 boys, ages 13-17) from the family at our table were there.

As we went down to dinner, the children in the next suite (two boys, about 10-11) came out into the hall in dress shirt, tie, nice pants...I said "Gentlemen, how nice you look!" They replied (in stereo!) "Thank you, ma'am!".

"Company manners" are something that all kids can learn (now, if we could work on a few adults!:))

My kids always liked the formal nights (especially the girls)...they wouldn't think of missing them. This time we rented a tux for my son (who is now 14 and tall). It was easy and he looked great, and it was cheaper than buying a suit.

Our girls (10,11,14) always join us for these nights. It's very exciting for them..starts with going shopping for their dress etc..to getting all dressed-up and enjoying the night itself. They especially like the comments from people who usually say how beautiful etc they are.

* We just hate it when the photographers comes by the table and starts bugging us if we want pics.. NO.. we just want to enjoy the moment and the food :D

Which man wouldn't want 4 beautiful ladies with him at dinner!

A huge thanks goes to everyone who was able to comment on this topic for me. I really appreciate your opinions and I agree it does seem like

formal evenings should be a part of the "cruising expereince"!!!!

We always see a lot of kids on formal night, I get a kick out of seeing them all dressed up, laying on the floor of the Centrum while waiting to get formal photos done (wish I could get away with it!).

We've always managed to be seated between tables with bunches of kids, there goes the theory that there are less children at late seating :rolleyes: . Last cruise, one table of nine next to us, 4 adults, 5 kids under the age of ten. Table on the other side of us, six adults, 4 kids, two older (say 10-12) 2 toddlers.

It's all good, everyone had a great time :)

Archived