Granny Needs some Expert advice!

GrannyLorr

I just came up with the brilliant idea that after we complete our South American cruise....we could just stay on board and continue with the "Passage to Portugal".......if we did this, I think we would then qualify for the "freebie" cruise......am I right? Our Spirit cruise was 55 days.....our SA one is 72 days....and the TA is 13 days....

Now my main problems.....we have already booked our air travel Oz to LA ( good price).....so would prefer not to cancel that, thought we could just do a one way from Portugal back to the US...then join our original flight back to Oz (wont be a problem altering the dates slightly....I don't think) Can someone give me an idea of costs of a one way flight Lisbon to "somewhere in the USA" and approx how long is that flight? Also what Airlines fly out of Lisbon? We prefer Business Class, but with all the extra costs of extending the cruise and extra flights etc...may have to settle for cattle class! So all ideas gratefully received!

Another problem I can see...and I'm sure Martha would have an idea...how booked is the T/A already? Suppose we would have to change cabins between cruises........

Granny,

Please book the March 2008 spring Pride crossing! Myself, Pinkie and her Gang will all be aboard!! I will even do the travelogue figuring you will be exhausted after 72 days and all those South American port calls! British Airways, Continental, TAP (Portugese Airline) and Iberia fly one-stop service from Lisbon to LAX. Based on comments from Seabourn sailors that flew on Iberia, I do not recommend business or coach class on that airline.

You are in luck. In about a month, when the airlines load their fares and schedules into the airline reservation system 330 days before the flight, I am all over it trying to find cost effective excursion one-way business class airfares with good connections. Last week I flew home from the Pride, Lisbon to LAX via London Heathrow in business class. The best I could do on the fare was 2900. US$. The LIS to LHR flight was about 2.5 hours; 2.5 hour layover in LHR business class lounge and the flight LHR to LAX was 11 hours.

I will be flying Continental LAX to LIS via Newark (EWR) alos in business class this November for the Legend westbound crossing. The best I could do on the fare was 2365. US$ All these flights were booked as far in advance as possible and sometimes there are special fares on the web for just a few days, so keep your eyes peeled!

Don't worry if you have to change suites. Just clear out the contents of your safe and the wonderful suite stewardesses will take care of everything else! Everything is in the exact same place in the new suite! I had to change suites between B2B sailings and the effortless move (for me at least) was wonderful!

Pinkie always has good ideas so I am sure she will chime in here! Hope this helps you!

Thanks Paul, I have just been doing some searches on the flights, using a February 2008 date...and seems to be between 2500 and 3000 for the lowest prices. I didn't know we would be able to go from Lisbon to LAX....for some reason I had the idea we would have to fly into the East coast, then a domestic flight across to LA.....so is sounding better than I thought! Now we wont need the domestic flight....so thats a saving!

Now we just have to find out if there are any available suites for the Crossing! Its Easter Monday here, so will have to wait until tomorrow before I can phone Seabourn in Sydney.....I am starting to get excited all over again!!! :D

Granny - do you already have your return flight booked, if so where is your departure city in the US? You say "somewhere in the US" which leads me to think you Don't have the flight booked yet. In that case why not fly in a southeasterly direction back to OZ from Europe. Seems like going back through the US might be the "long way around".... Maybe you are trying to take advantage of a roundtrip out of LA?? :confused: - Details please!! There must be a method to your madness.

Grannylorr,

YEE HAW!!! In English that means: Tickled to death you'll be joining our annual March 17th Pride TA Crossing!

If Peachy can help you with your air flights, I can help with your staying in the same suite from South American ~~~~the Crossing is not sold out (probably will be shortly) If you would like for me to give Blue Lagoon a call this morning as to your staying put, I will be happy to do so. The additional days added to your number of Seabourn days will certainly qualify you a complimentary 14 days cruise on Seabourn! What a deal!:p

After S. America you will enjoy relaxing and having some R&R time.

Lots of activities, parties, and events on the Crossing~~but even I take my morning bubble bath and enjoy having time alone in my Suite, to gather my thoughts~~~(oh and "plot and scheme" for the day) The Crossing is really not as hurried/busy as we post here~~~

Let me know if you would like for me to call Blue Lagoon Dr.

It's hard to soar with the eagles when I'm stuck here at the ranch with wild turkey's!:confused:

Martita B.

The Irish airline Aerligus has Dubin to LAX for ~ $269. They also have Lisbon to Dubin but I could not get a price for both flights. I was looking at this airline for another cruise and they have overnight packages in Dubin. If you feel up to it, you could do a couple days in Ireland since you are there. :)

http://www.aerlingus.com/cgi-bin/obel01im1/bookonline/index.jsp

topbanner1.gif

They get mixed reviews but if the price is right :)

Martha...thanks a lot for your offer, I would really appreciate you being able to make that phone call for me....it doesn't really matter if we have to move suites, as Paul said, most of it is done for you by the wonderful crew.....but certainly would make it a lot easier if we didn't have to move!

Of course now the time differences between you and I may be a bit of a problem.......I am going to phone Sydney shortly to try to make the booking...

BB....I think the flight time is a wee bit long for a coach seat for us......if we can get a Business for around the 2500 to 3000 that will be fine....we may have a couple of days in Lisbon after the cruise. Have never actually been to Dublin...but all over the rest of Ireland.

Matt....yeah there is a method in our madness....we got a really good deal on a Return Brisbane to LAX with JAL......so don't want to change that now...it is all paid for, although the Return part is booked for January, (just to seal the booking) I actually used a TA for this one....and she is going to change the return date at the end of this month.......so if I can get the Seabourn part worked out quickly, she can change the return date to whatever we want!

I always say...go to the source. You are a big time SB sailor. I would ask the TA to call the 800 # for Seabourn and plead your case. The least they should do in this case...in my humble opinion...is give you a A1 guaranty....that is worth the price for an upgrade....or...why not..as you usually buy an A1...and want to simply add on....have the TA call the club desk with your Club #...and say..."lets make a deal" for the continualtion. I think you have a strong case, with your milage and dedication. I always go for the old adage ...nothing ventured..nothing gained. For goodness sake...do not allow for a "clerk" on the phone..ask for a supervisor. The clerks come and go..and do not have a clue as to your dedication as a SB faithful..it takes an oldtimer empoyee to..GET IT! Good luck..it is too bad that we have to fight for our rights..it gets tiresome...thank god..once aboard..these trivialities....just don't exist! Lola

I agree with everything Lola said in her post. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. The worst they can say is no. But if you do what Lola suggests and call Blue Lagoon and ask for a supervisor and also call the Club Desk, they may do something for you so you won't have to break your piggy bank. They can possibly do that in Miami.

If you can swing adding the spring 2008 White Pride Castle crossing, which sails from FLL on St. Patrick's Day, you will have a great photo op from the Sky Bar with all embarking passengers below in their St Paddy's day green and orange life vests!!!

Fingers and toers crossed for getting a March 2008 Pride crossing booking you are comfortable with. :) Good Luck!

BB....I think the flight time is a wee bit long for a coach seat for us......if we can get a Business for around the 2500 to 3000 that will be fine....we may have a couple of days in Lisbon after the cruise. Have never actually been to Dublin...but all over the rest of Ireland.

I could not check for March but I did check for Feb, the prices should be about the same

1,954.00 Dublin 11:50 Sun 10 Feb Los Angeles 14:50 Sun 10 Feb EI145 *

So that is < $2000 :) Now if your Let's Make a Deal works out :D

BB like the idea of another Photog on the crossing for the additional pictures.

I know it all sounds pretty simple to phone the Club Desk etc...but unfortunately at the moment we are about 5000 kms away from home....."camping" around Australia for 6 months......we wont be home for another 4 months. We have a mobile phone with us, but cant make International calls on it....our lifeline is the Internet, and we have Wireless internet signals in most towns we visit. This is how we are doing our banking, paying bills etc. I had hoped that by simply phoning Seabourns "office" in Sydney (which also covers most other cruiselines) ....as we were repeat passengers, and they have all our details, it would be easy to organise another booking. I think I may be having a similar problem to what "Jaffa" reported.....seems the staff in Australia just don't have authority to do anything slightly out of the ordinary.

I am disappointed.....and if I were at home, might be easier to sort something out.....I don't suppose there is any email address I can use to get to the Club Desk? I know when I was trying to book our first cruise I didn't have any luck with having emails answered.....oh well.....maybe another time.....:(

BB...that certainly is a good price.....suppose I can always grab your second home....the lifeboat...#1 isn't it? No one would find me in there till it was too late to turn back! I am sure if Chef Marcus is onboard he would let me work my passage at the kitchen sink!

Lorraine,

I have 3 e-mail address's for you~~~Blue Lagoon Dr. in Miami!

I will send them to you ASAP! I can not believe you can not book the Pride 2008 Cross, after going all a'round South America!! 72 days and "NO room at the inn" for the next 13?

I simply don't believe the Pride Crossing for 2008 is alsmot SOLD OUT!:confused:

I'll go right now and send you the e-mail address's.:p

MB

Blackie,

Welllll, living out on the lone range, in the middle of nowhere, I have to have a "secret address book!" It's kept safe in the bank vault~~~until one of "our family members" needs additional help in booking a simple sailing~~~~:confused:

As to my pushing on the green button up in the Bridge~~Capt. Rikard said, "Marta, go ahead....you seem to be enjoying yourself!" ha ha (like I never DO have any fun!!) Truth is: I was scared of that button! NO, I did not break anything up "there!"

Cheers for the week!

Pinkie

well THAT didn't work!! LOL....just got an email from Blue Lagoon...they know who I am and I am SURE they know "who" gave me the email addie :eek:....just said to go through the Australian office...been there...done that....seems all the "cheap" rooms at the Inn are gone...anyone here who is booked want to change their minds? :rolleyes:

Grannylorr,

Perhaps we might be neighbors on "the po' folks street!" Along with Queen A, Scalawag Martita B, J.B., the Scot-ish Cunard dancer's, and other fun Sailor's~~~Deck 4 should be referred to as :"The Drag~~~" or "Main Street!" It's kinda like "Cheers"~~~ everyone seems to know your name!:p

If I can be of any help please let me know~~~all for one and one for all!

MB

Grannylorr,

I just had a "lightbulb moment!":confused: You and your Hubby just move in with me on the March Pride Crossing~~~I am small and can sleep and lounge on the sofa! We'll take turns (draw straws) as to the bathroom and bubblebathes! Only probably~~the closet! But I can keep some of my evening outfits/things in J.B.'s closet~~~

We could pretend we're cousin's!:p

Bring PLAID

Miss Martita B.

well THAT didn't work!! LOL....just got an email from Blue Lagoon...they know who I am and I am SURE they know "who" gave me the email addie :eek:....just said to go through the Australian office...been there...done that....seems all the "cheap" rooms at the Inn are gone...anyone here who is booked want to change their minds? :rolleyes:

Could you have someone living in the U.S. do your booking, or could you have a U.S. located Travel Agent do the booking. There have to be some U.S. Travel Agent that have offices in Australia--how about AMX? It's really a dirty deal for you to have to work with such a non flexible office. Good Luck in your efforts!

Thank you all for your ideas, support and suggestions,....we have just woken in Western Australia, (poor old Granny didnt sleep very well with all the uncertainly going on)...we are moving "camp" in a couple of hours, so will then be incomunicado for about 36 hours.......so if Im not responding, please dont think I am ignoring everyone....time differences can be a pain!! Hopefully I will be adding one more post here before we leave.......back soon I hope.....thanks everyone....especially Martha!!!

Oh this is just NOT my day!!:( Just tried phoning Sydney.....their "system" is down....they cant make a booking.......do you think all this might be an omen? Within the next couple of hours we will be out of contact for another 36 hours.......seems there is only ONE ordinary A1 suite left anyway... the others are disabled and half of the double suite....cant go without my bubble baths!!

YEE HAW did I get the accent right? Sydney phoned me back as soon as their system was restored.....and we are now booked in 118 and waitlisted for an A......thanks everyone.....now I can relax. We are about to hit the highway, so will be back on board soon....

Archived