Ventura chat

Madkitty

I believe that the wardrobes are the same as on Princess ships. In that case you don't walk through them to get into the cabin but you do walk through them to get to the bathroom.

Normally the bathroom is on your right hand side and then the wardrobe is on the left with the cupboard at the end with the shelves and safe inside.

Yes they are open, no doors, but you cannot see inside them from the cabin floor area.

The "walk-in" wardrobes sound like those on the previous incarnation of Arcadia (now OV2). It was one of the few features on the old Arcadia that I liked.

OV not OV2 was the old Arcadia. If they are in the same layout Lesser is correct the wardrobe is to one side styled like a dressing room rather than a wardrobe which you pass on you way to the bathroom.

• 2 weeks later...
Booked Baltic Splendours - 20/6/08 and as we pre booked with TA we got cabin of our choice and 2nd sitting dinner.

What is this freedom dining thing? Is it eating in the self service restaurant, but getting served?

Caryl

Freedom dining is where you can eat between certain times and book the time you want to eat a bit like going to a restaurant instead of a set dining time. We cruise with P&O and are going back to the baltics for a second time so glad someone else on the forum is going on this cruise. St Petes is amazing we love it

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and i are on the transatlantic cruise on the Ventura, joining 13th march 2009. Who else is booked on this cruise,and are you just as excited as us to be on the Ventura ? We are flying from East Midlands airport, which is a plus, as we live in burton on trent. :D

We are booked on the 10th of October 2008 Indian summer. First time with P&O and only our second cruise, so we are both looking forward to it and not sure what to expect.

P&O's website looks like it has a lot of good ideas for what to do when in port, I can't believe I'm giving up taking a Ferrari for a blast around the Italian countryside, to visit Florence.. But I am...

If anyone gets any pics of cabin L107 I'd appreciate seeing what it looks like.. Oh and I am new to this site so please bear with me if I ask questions that have been asked many times on this site..

And looking forward to hearing from anyone who are taking the same trip.. We have taken the Freedom dining option and still not sure if we have made the right choice...

Steve...

Change your Freedom Booking to Club. You can still break-out during the cruise for the odd one of two nights as Select Dining is available to both Freedom and Club Diners.

Freedom is not all that "Freedom". You have to remember to book for each night. The "choice" is either 1st or 2nd sitting effectively.

Every night is like a "first night on a cruise" on Freedom. You have to introduce yourselves - try and remember names - and ask and answer the same old questions.

Hi Steve,

We are going on 10/10/08 Indian Summer also, looks a great cruise:D

In the P&O Roll Call -Ventura there is thread for people going on this cruise so you can talk to people who will be on it about it:) .

Change your Freedom Booking to Club. You can still break-out during the cruise for the odd one of two nights as Select Dining is available to both Freedom and Club Diners.

Freedom is not all that "Freedom". You have to remember to book for each night. The "choice" is either 1st or 2nd sitting effectively.

Every night is like a "first night on a cruise" on Freedom. You have to introduce yourselves - try and remember names - and ask and answer the same old questions.

Derek,

Freedom Dining has changed since you experienced it.

On Oceana it is now totally freedom and you can simply turn up at the restaurant and request a table when you are ready rather than having to book in advance. I think if people choose to book a table then that is still an opportunity. You can choose any time from 6-9:30pm and any time inbetween.

It is definitely an improvement of when I went onboard and tried Freedom Dining last year - which we found worked for us!!

I got this information from someone currently on Oceana so it is valid information.

Feebee_71

Derek,

Freedom Dining has changed since you experienced it.

On Oceana it is now totally freedom and you can simply turn up at the restaurant and request a table when you are ready rather than having to book in advance. I think if people choose to book a table then that is still an opportunity. You can choose any time from 6-9:30pm and any time inbetween.

It is definitely an improvement of when I went onboard and tried Freedom Dining last year - which we found worked for us!!

I got this information from someone currently on Oceana so it is valid information.

Feebee_71

Hi Feebs,

Sorry to disagree but when we were on her in August, 5 out of the 6 people we talked to did not like it exactly for the reasons Derek gave you had to book each day and there was little choice so it ended up as two sittings. Only one couple said they liked it and it worked for them.

Now at the time half of the freedom dining restaurant had been given over to club as it was more popular so I do not know if that were a factor.

:):)Happy Cruising Pet:):)

:cool:

Dai

I hadn't realised that the Freedom Dining option would have been quite as topical but I like the views expressed by others.

There are a several different considerations to this, my first worry is that the 'freedom' may not be as carefree as the name is supposed to sound. And to quote the moncled mutineer :

• "Every night is like a "first night on a cruise" on Freedom. You have to introduce yourselves - try and remember names - and ask and answer the same old questions."

I agree that might get a little bit 'testing.' But at the end of the day it's going to be a learning experience. My motivation for booking this option was when we were going to have an at sea day we could dine late and sleep in the next day. And if we wanted to be up early one day then we could dine earlier the night before, see the early show and head off to bed at a decent ( :eek: Aye right) time. Will have to see how that pans out....

The points of view expressed are very good to see. I'm looking forward to reading more on here in the coming months. I've also, thanks for the advice "Juden2307", found and added to the Roll Call for the 10th of October. So hoping to see and hear from some of you folks in person. Will wait and see if there are any invitations from anyone to dinner when we get onboard. Also, would it be too cheesy for me to bring my kilt or should I just stick to the tux?? what to wear, what to wear... :rolleyes: ;)

Dai,

I have friends onboard as I type (though they are back in Southampton and are disembarking today) and they say that The Ligurian Restaurant is now fully Freedom Dining and the need for booking a table in advance has been removed, allowing diners to simply turn up at the restaurant door when they want a table. They can, if they choose, still book for that day and the following day in advance as before.

I was on her in September and these changes had not been made then so I am assuming they have come in across the Caribbean season and the refit that has just been completed.

Feebee_71 ;)

Also, would it be too cheesy for me to bring my kilt or should I just stick to the tux?? what to wear, what to wear... :rolleyes:

Kilt every time, looks far better that a plain DJ.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

• 2 weeks later...

You will have a black and white night on a longer cruise - over 13 nights... it will be one of the formals - usually the last formal night, with a better than usual gala menu.

A lot of the men wear the white tux jacket with their black tux trousers for a change - thus - black and white....On our table of 8 3 out of 4 men wore white jackets.... ladies in black or white dresses with black and white opposite wraps, flowers etc etc. You always get a couple of ladies who 'don't play along' and wear a vivid colour dress - orange or red.... attention seekers!!!

The men sometimes wear a different bow tie as well for fun, black with white spots or stripes or diamonds, etc, and some men wear a black shirt with white bow tie....

i'll attach a photo of our group onboard last year

Sue

I hadn't realised that the Freedom Dining option would have been quite as topical but I like the views expressed by others.

There are a several different considerations to this, my first worry is that the 'freedom' may not be as carefree as the name is supposed to sound. And to quote the moncled mutineer :

• "Every night is like a "first night on a cruise" on Freedom. You have to introduce yourselves - try and remember names - and ask and answer the same old questions."

I agree that might get a little bit 'testing.' But at the end of the day it's going to be a learning experience. My motivation for booking this option was when we were going to have an at sea day we could dine late and sleep in the next day. And if we wanted to be up early one day then we could dine earlier the night before, see the early show and head off to bed at a decent ( :eek: Aye right) time. Will have to see how that pans out....

The points of view expressed are very good to see. I'm looking forward to reading more on here in the coming months. I've also, thanks for the advice "Juden2307", found and added to the Roll Call for the 10th of October. So hoping to see and hear from some of you folks in person. Will wait and see if there are any invitations from anyone to dinner when we get onboard. Also, would it be too cheesy for me to bring my kilt or should I just stick to the tux?? what to wear, what to wear... :rolleyes: ;)

Hi meandhim2, i have done both freedom and club and much prefered freedom because it was exactly like it said on the tin!

You do not get stuck with anybody that you dont want to be be with, You dont feel like you need to explain if one night you do not turn up for dinner and can do whatever you please when you please without feeling guilty and you get to meet alot of other people....its much better in my opinion.

Mind you i have only ever done freedom on Princess cruises where the dining hours are slightly longer 6-10pm. I am looking forward to it on ventura. I think a gratuity of £1.50 pppn is added to your account for the privilage though!

Lou

You will have a black and white night on a longer cruise - over 13 nights... it will be one of the formals - usually the last formal night, with a better than usual gala menu.

A lot of the men wear the white tux jacket with their black tux trousers for a change - thus - black and white....On our table of 8 3 out of 4 men wore white jackets.... ladies in black or white dresses with black and white opposite wraps, flowers etc etc. You always get a couple of ladies who 'don't play along' and wear a vivid colour dress - orange or red.... attention seekers!!!

The men sometimes wear a different bow tie as well for fun, black with white spots or stripes or diamonds, etc, and some men wear a black shirt with white bow tie....

i'll attach a photo of our group onboard last year

Sue

These formal nights are getting more and more complicated! What other theme nights do we need to be prepared for?

We are on the Baltics cruise in June.We booked 11 months ago and as yet have not been informed of a cabin No or early or late sitting for dining.

Is this normal with P O ? I did send them an email ,and they said I will be allocated a cabin between Making the booking and arriving on board the ship.

We are on the Baltics cruise in June.We booked 11 months ago and as yet have not been informed of a cabin No or early or late sitting for dining.

Is this normal with P O ? I did send them an email ,and they said I will be allocated a cabin between Making the booking and arriving on board the ship.

I to am booked on this cruise, i booked through a TA & i really should have booked direct with P&O. I have prearranged my shore excursions direct via telephone, and was told that all my documentation would be sent out about 3 weeks prior to departure, they even told me that i was late sitting as requested. So i presume that cabin No will be with them?.

Mark

We also booked a year in advance and got our choice of cabin midships balcony), dinner sitting (club late) and table size (6). May be you got your cruise at a discounted price because its not confirmed?

These formal nights are getting more and more complicated! What other theme nights do we need to be prepared for?

There is usually a 'tropical' night on a smart casual evening, when men and woman wear flowery shirts, hawian type, and woman dresses, or tops with a white pair of trousers or skirt for example.

here we are on a tropical night:

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/JuneAndSueFromCrowsNest/photo#5193656071137398786

Archived