NCL Sun, a good way to go??

Liesje

Thanks for your opinion. We agreed the food was average. I know that food is subjective. Perhaps it would help to compare to resturants that guests enjoy. I would consider the buffet food of Shoney's quality or Dennys. Neither of which I would pay for given any other option. SOmeone else compared Le Bistro to Ruth Chris. Perpahs a fair comparion. I do not personally care for RUth Chris as I prefer gourmet food not just a steak with potatoes.

I love Le Bistro but don't think it quite matches up to Ruth Chris; actually, like you, I am not a fan of Ruths. That being said and I feel your appraisal of the buffet is pretty accuraate as well, maybe a little better than Shoney's or Dennys. When can you get lox or harring on the breakfast buffet at the places you have mentioned? That all being said, we have found the food on all mass marketed lines except maybe HAL to be very similar. One ship will have a better buffet but the main dining room won't be as good, another will have better desserts but not many good veggies. For anyone who prefers gourmet food, cruising certainly will not satisfy your pallet. Of course I am talking about the main cruise lines, not the upscale. Remember the kitchens are cooking for 1500 to 3000 people every day and night. NMNita

I've posted this previously but our experience (my DW and I, 50's) was, on the whole, very positive. We were on the 4/1 to 4/8 cruise and had a great time. We thought the entertainment was exceptional and the dining room food was very good. The rooms were slightly smaller than we're used to (port side, toward aft balcony) but that was more than made up for by the exceptional storage space in the cabin. We thought that we wouldn't like anytime dining but we were wrong. We loved eating at different times. The wait staff was wonderful-friendly and very helpful. They would constantly tell us that if we didn't like something, they would bring another dish. This was our first NCL cruise and it was way better than I thought it would be. The plus is we got to spend time pre and post cruise in New Orleans. What a wonderful city.

We just got off the Sun and are still 'mourning' it, lol :p I wrote a review that didnt get alot of 'love' but that's cool - it's still out there for anyone to read.

We enjoyed the Sun, especially if you live a hectic life - We are 40 and 39 respectively and work an dhave kids and all that jazz and that portion of our lives came to a screeching halt! We loved it!

No it's not chocked full of minute by minute activity, but that's what we wanted. We were able to explore each other and be a couple.

In terms of family, I thought it was cool. We saw all kinds of configurations and they seemed to work. It was special during photo nights to see three generations together.

The ship was quite efficient, the people pleasing. It does take a special person to work on a cruise ship because it is a humble job and you are leaving yourself open to someone who might think that they are 'privledged'.

So I recommend the Sun - it left us feeling mighty sunny, lol

we sail on the sun march 25 through april 1, 2007. the sun is lovely ship and and the crew and staff were wonderful, friendly and very professional

we enjoyed the jean ann ryan productions. we tried some of the specially

restaurans; ii adagio, east meets west, pacific height delicious and exceptional.we also enjoyed the meals in the seven seas and four season as well as the garden cafe.we enjoyed the large gym which had plenty

equipment and nice size fitness room. the hightlight of our cruise was in

guatemala the townspeople came to the pier, they played music and danced for us and the cabs and vans and even the police and ambulance

were ther and when the ship departed they blew their horns and sirens. what a wonderful sent off. sun is a clean ship. i hop this will help you. keep on cruising.:p

We absolutely loved sailing on the Sun. Our cruise was a repositioning from Los Angeles to New Orleans, 17 days through the Panama Canal. We enjoyed every aspect of the ship and the cruise, from cabin to duvets to food to cleanliness to friendly staff--- on and on. I'm sure that some people find their own favorite things on board some other cruise line or ship, but face it, there is no such thing as perfection. I am certain, however, that the captain, Mikael Hilden, has influenced everything that happens on that ship and you can tell that nothing is out of control. The staff clearly enjoys their employment, and every one that we met seemed to be part of a team, no matter what their job was. The cruise just FELT right, like you knew that everything is in calm, competent control. We are looking forward to future cruises on the Sun, even though it is not the newest ship in the fleet, nor the biggest. And speaking of size, at least the Sun can fit through the Panama Canal! Do not have any qualms at all about sailing on the Sun--the overall experience will exceed all your expectations.

we enjoyed the large gym which had plenty equipment and nice size fitness room.
Does the gym now look like this?

31459ib.jpg

Or is it a smaller and more oddly-shaped room?

Trying to work out whether they've swapped the rooms around in the refit.

Archived