Drinking in Mexico

SharC

I am more careful in Cozumel and avoid anything with ice cubes. We've gone to Sr. Frogs, Carlos and Charlies and also Paradise Beach and ate at all of them with no problems. Stay with bottled drinks and eat sensibly and you shouldn't have a problem.

My doctor gave me some trial size boxes of Cipro when I told him we were going to Mexico. It is a super strength immodium. I drank bottled water, ate at decent restaurants and still needed to use it. I tend to get "tourista" any time we travel, I think it's a combination of things ganging up on me!

My dear hubby ate and drank at the same places and he was perfectly fine. Perhaps all the tequila he drank killed any bugs in his system:)

The Cipro is fantastic- two doses and you're good to go (so to speak).

BTW- it is not called Montezuma's Revenge in Mexico-they call it tourista because it only affects the tourists. Or maybe they just think we're crappy. Wow, I am on a roll today...

I've been to Mexico twice before and just avoided drinking the water and I was fine. :) The weird thing is that their water isn’t exactly bad, it just has different organisms then ours so our stomachs can't handle it, theirs can though...

We were returning from Houston in May. While waiting for our flight I found an article in the local paper regarding E-coli, one cause of Montezuma's Revenge.

They sampled pico gallardo, salsa verde (green salsa), salsa roja (red salsa), and guacamole at a number of restaurants (10 or 12) in a Mexican town whose name I have forgotten.

The results were:

• pico gallardo - 70% of samples had e-coli
  • Salsa Verde = 80%
  • Salsa roja - 90%
  • Guacamole - 100% :eek:

I may have the red and green reversed but the figures are correct according to the article.

Let the buyer beware! (And carry your Immodium AD :) )

We enjoy eating in smaller restaraunts but exercise caution in our choices Always wipe the top of the bottle or can and use a straw whenever possible.

and a snazzy trick... if the ice cubes are round with holes in the middle, they've been made with purified water. We go to Mazatlan every year, and I agree with KarFest... it's just different. Some people are OK and some people just don't travel well. And pharmacies are on just about every street. If you're not feeling well, you can go and speak with the person behind the counter (usually licensed) and they will recommend something to make you feel better ! Our British friends get "dickie stomachs" (funny... their way of saying their not feeling great !) whenever they come to visit us in the states.

Just a note that Cipro is an anti-biotic and some people are highly allergic to it. Of course, it's by prescription only, so your doctor will know if you are allergic or not. Immodium AD and anti-vert work well too.

Kathy

My doctor gave me some trial size boxes of Cipro when I told him we were going to Mexico. It is a super strength immodium. I drank bottled water, ate at decent restaurants and still needed to use it. I tend to get "tourista" any time we travel, I think it's a combination of things ganging up on me!

My dear hubby ate and drank at the same places and he was perfectly fine. Perhaps all the tequila he drank killed any bugs in his system:)

The Cipro is fantastic- two doses and you're good to go (so to speak).

BTW- it is not called Montezuma's Revenge in Mexico-they call it tourista because it only affects the tourists. Or maybe they just think we're crappy. Wow, I am on a roll today...

• 7 months later...

We just returned from the P.V. area. 7 women for one week. We drank bottled water and even brushed our teeth with it. When going out, we looked for other gringos eating or drinking there, then asked the waiters if the ice was good. If it is a touristy place, they do not want people to get sick, they want them to come back. We just avoided the small carts. None of us got sick at all the whole time.

Archived