Letting go of my hair blower!

I usually develop a close bond with my hairblower. We share good and bad hair days.:D

The one I have now has been with me for the past 8 years! it is a monstrosity

but I have always found a spot for it in my suitcase. I have to face reality

though, it is starting to fail and I need to start looking for a replacement. I

have been reading about the benefits of the new Ionic Hairblowers , the fact

that they dry 40% faster and not only leave the hair silkier and shinier but

are also less damaging on the shaft. Has anyone found this to be true. The

research I did recommended the foll. Hand held hairblowers:

1.Conair Ion Shine 1875 $21.95 2. Super Salano (pick of the pros.)

$121.00 3. T3 Toumalin travel dryer with dual voltage

Any advice on this painful process would be appreciated!:p

There are definite advantages to the professional dryers, after all, they do use them 10-15 times more per day than the average person.

Conair puts our a pretty good mid-range professional dryer. I have one model now, but the product name has been rubbed off :rolleyes: (the dryer is silver). I have another that is heavier, but shorter than most dryers. I originally bought it for travel, but it's too heavy to pack the brand is Rusk and it's a hyper-ionic. I love the shorter length of the dryer, I almost took it back because of the weight, but now use it almost exclusively.

I've seen the Solano dryers around for years, had a couple myself, I found a link with the dryer at a lower cost:

http://www.solanohairdryer.com/

Also, check with your hair stylist. I know my husband (and I used to before I retired from the bus.) pick up professional hair dryers and resell them to clients. Not just because of price (we did add a bit for our troubles, but not full retail) a lot of times there is not a full range of dryers available to the public. I'm not crazy for beauty supply stores, their prices are usually way over retail, higher than most salons will charge.

Don't feel bad. I let mine 13 (yes, 13) year old one go and bought a Wahl Compliment Ionic dryer. I bought it at Wal Mart for $25 and it came with a diffuser, a curl brush, and a few other things I'm not sure what they are! :)

I normally do not use a blow dryer, but on the rare occasion I do, I've been pleased with it.

I usually develop a close bond with my hairblower. We share good and bad hair days.:D

The one I have now has been with me for the past 8 years! it is a monstrosity

but I have always found a spot for it in my suitcase. I have to face reality

though, it is starting to fail and I need to start looking for a replacement. I

have been reading about the benefits of the new Ionic Hairblowers , the fact

that they dry 40% faster and not only leave the hair silkier and shinier but

are also less damaging on the shaft. Has anyone found this to be true. The

research I did recommended the foll. Hand held hairblowers:

1.Conair Ion Shine 1875 $21.95 2. Super Salano (pick of the pros.)

$121.00 3. T3 Toumalin travel dryer with dual voltage

Any advice on this painful process would be appreciated!:p

I have the Conair one and LOVE IT! My hair comes out silky and shiney, with bounce and oh gosh cannot say enough about it. I got mine on sale on drugstore.com for like 15 dollars US, but would pay 22 for it in a heartbeat!

I have only been able to handle brush/dryer combinations. I LOVE this dryer. It has made my growing-out hair easier to style and I only need one hand.

http://www.conair.com/1quarter-inch-ceramic-ionic-brush-p-108.html

I bought one of these, http://www.conair.com/infiniti/product_info.php?products_id=312&pcID=82&CAsid=2834e5f4e54136f095c230504376742b

but I think I'm too uncoordinated to use it. Now I see they have a modified model which I may try out..

--Judy

(disclaimer: I am a total hair klutz)

I bought a Conair IonShine 1875 at the CVS discount retail store for about $12-15 and a ceramic core brush (at a job lot store) last summer (they've added more features to the newer version out). My new hairstylist at the time bought had bought his at a CVS store and was able to do my hair with just the dryer (with the concentrator, which I didn't have) and a metal core brush (no curling iron!). I'm not as good with it as he is, but I try! I think my hair is a bit softer and shinier than it was before. Plus, I've had less static cling this winter! I put my old dryer in the pile to bring to Salvation Army next time I go!

I have really thick long hair and love the Conair Ionizer! I've had it for a couple years now. The only recommendation I'd make if you buy one is try to get the lightest weight one...mind is kinda heavy, and I noticed they're making them lighter now.

I have only been able to handle brush/dryer combinations. I LOVE this dryer. It has made my growing-out hair easier to style and I only need one hand.

http://www.conair.com/1quarter-inch-ceramic-ionic-brush-p-108.html

I bought one of these, http://www.conair.com/infiniti/product_info.php?products_id=312&pcID=82&CAsid=2834e5f4e54136f095c230504376742b

but I think I'm too uncoordinated to use it. Now I see they have a modified model which I may try out..

--Judy

I might have to check one of those out for my sis, she has two left hands when she blow dries her hair. She has two sisters who are stylists (me - retired) and the other sister in the middle of us, so it's a bit of an embarrasment for her:( !

I'll tell you one trick to use when drying your hair with a round brush and dryer (not the combo you show, I've never used one) - think of the brush as a roller instead of a brush. Instead of trying to dry your hair like you see them do in a salon (many of them can't do it to themselves), roll the brush down like you were doing a set. I don't use the round brushes until my hair is almost dry, I leave the brushes in my hair until they cool down. I get a more long lasting style this way, even better than I get at a salon. My hair is fine and flat and I can get a whole lot more body out of it than anyone else in the world.

I have as many as 8 brushes in my hair at one time, sounds like a lot, but I only take about 15 minutes total to do my hair.

Karen,

I have the Conair Ionizer that you listed. I bought it after my trusty hairdryer of 10 or more years finally kicked the bucket! I have to say that I LOVE it. It has certainly cut down on the drying time in the mornings! Plus, my hair is silkier and shinier.

I also have an ionic brush/dryer combo that I also use and love, depending on what style I'm after.

I might have to check one of those out for my sis, she has two left hands when she blow dries her hair. She has two sisters who are stylists (me - retired) and the other sister in the middle of us, so it's a bit of an embarrasment for her:( !

I'll tell you one trick to use when drying your hair with a round brush and dryer (not the combo you show, I've never used one) - think of the brush as a roller instead of a brush. Instead of trying to dry your hair like you see them do in a salon (many of them can't do it to themselves), roll the brush down like you were doing a set. I don't use the round brushes until my hair is almost dry, I leave the brushes in my hair until they cool down. I get a more long lasting style this way, even better than I get at a salon. My hair is fine and flat and I can get a whole lot more body out of it than anyone else in the world.

I have as many as 8 brushes in my hair at one time, sounds like a lot, but I only take about 15 minutes total to do my hair.

Happyks -- thanks for the tip! I've seen stylists work with brushes like that. I'm not sure if we are the same age, but do you remember the beer can size rollers? That's what I used to use to get my hair straight and smooth. I used to put all of my hair into a pony tail on top of my head and then use two giant rollers. My hair was waist length and took a day to dry! Ah, those were the days.

--Judy

Happyks -- thanks for the tip! I've seen stylists work with brushes like that. I'm not sure if we are the same age, but do you remember the beer can size rollers? That's what I used to use to get my hair straight and smooth. I used to put all of my hair into a pony tail on top of my head and then use two giant rollers. My hair was waist length and took a day to dry! Ah, those were the days.

--Judy

Oh, yeah, I remember the beer cans and ironing your hair on the ironing board! My hair was too fine for the beer cans, though and I used to sleep on huge brush rollers, ouch! I had a lot of stiff neck days then :rolleyes: , my mother would say "it hurts to be beautiful".

"Hairblower" = hairdryer obviously, but this is the first time I have ever heard the term. A Canadian thing?

I have very thick hair, every time I get my hair trimmed the stylist comments on it. It also has a lot of natural curl, so for me, dryng my hair becomes an exercise in "how much curl do I want today". :p I will only use a brush if I want less curl - a smoother look - and honestly I've not done that look lately...generally just scrunch as I dry, and then tame the curls with a curling iron. I use the Conaire Ion dryer - it is less than a year old and I don't think it works as well as my last dyer. I also have a small Remington travel dryer, that works better than the Conaire - so I may be throwing the Conaire out soon!! :cool:

It is so nice to know that I am not the only one who has a 'relationship' with my hairdryer!!! I NEED it!!

I have had it for years....do not even know what brand it is off the top of my head....but it has a diffuser, which I use daily.

My hair has natural wave to it and with the diffuser, I can accentuate the curls without frizz. So, when we go on vacations, it has to come with us. I do not trust hotel / ship dryers, so my trusty friend is there in my bag.:)

It is almost time for a new one....but am scared!!! Love all of your information...will have to check some out!

Archived