question for bepsf re: Noordam 8086

St. Louis Sal

Brian,

I believe you've had this cabin before. I know you mentioned about it being an adjoining cabin and therefore losing one closet. Is there anything else about that cabin you could tell me? I had an SS guarantee and was just assigned 8086. HAL had earlier offered us an upsell to an SA but for the price I thought I'd rather take another cruise (1299 pp) but now am wondering will I like this cabin or should I have taken the upsell? Were there any problems with noise in that location?

Thanks for any info you can share; I leave on April 21 from NY thru the Panama Canal to Seattle. It's a long cruise and I just hope our cabin is a good one. This is the first time we've had a guarantee and only took it because back in the fall it was the only thing available in SS.

Thanks again,

St. Louis Sal

Brian - Be sure to tell Sal about your "visitor" on the Reunion cruise. ;)

Cousin Susan -

Troublemaker...

;)

Sal--

8086 is in a great location beneath the Lido Restaurant - no noise from above unlike those forward of the glass elevators where you may hear the occassional thump or scrape from deckchairs in the midship Lido.

As you say, most SS's have 3 wardrobe closets:* two with shelves that can* be folded up to store long hanging, and a third with fixed shelves, short hanging and the safe.* 8086 and other adjoining SS/SY's lose the long hanging wardrobe closet adjacent to the front door, creating a small alcove for the adjoining cabin door. * All else is exactly the same as any other typical SS/SY.

I'm with you - I'd save my $1200 from the upgrade for Spa/Laundry/Pinnacle/Excursions, etc.* The Stewards, Front Office Staff and Phone Concierge can take care of all your needs just as well.

As Susan alluded, a lost soul haunted us in 8086 (and others elsewhere on Deck 8) through the latter half of our cruise after a death occurred onboard and his family left the ship with his body in St Thomas.* We hope that his spirit enjoyed the rest of his cruise and found his way back to his home & family when we returned to New York.

Enjoy!

Brian, thank you for the quick and helpful reply.

So the connecting door is immediately as you enter, eliminating the first closet? I guess I was picturing it where the third closet is, close to the dresser.

I will watch out for the phantom visitor although I do hope he found his rest when he returned to NY. I don't think I'll mention it to my DH.

2kitties, what's up about the furniture??

I know noise can be an issue. On our last cruise on the Ryndam we were above the Explorers Lounge and occasionally heard some faint music. Also our next door neighbors had some pretty loud conversations on their balcony and used their cell phone to check on their business when they had service. I think people don't realize how their voices carry. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for peace and quiet.

SakeDad we did actually consider the upsell for a few minutes anyway. Get this: in addition to the SA they offered us a PS for $4000 pp. I told my DH it was a bargain (that's what I always tell him when I buy things on sale.) But just not worth it in our opinion although it certainly would have been a once in a lifetime experience. We decided no to both of the offers. No upgrade fairy appeared and I think we will be happy with 8086. By the way they offered those about a week or two ago so roughly a month or less before the cruise. I just looked yesterday and found the cabin number so I don't know if they assigned it immediately after we turned down the upsell.

Have a great day all of you,

St. Louis Sal

St. Louis Sal- We are also on this cruise and were upgraded from as SY GTY to 8086. We were also offered the upsell of $1299 and thought it was ridiculas. Over the last ten days or so they have steadily been creeping down in price and yesterday we changed to an SA. You might want to check back with HAL to see what their latest offer is. They had a coupe of SA's left as of 4/10.

Jeff

Jeff, we were indeed offered another upsell today and we decided it was worth it so now we are in 7080. I've never done the guarantee thing so it has been interesting. I usually like to know exactly where my cabin is and I've felt kind of up in the air without knowing.

Are you doing the NY to Seattle? Looking forward to seeing you; perhaps we will meet.

Brian, I appreciated your info about 8086; now I will never know if it could be "haunted".

St. Louis Sal

Brian, you should suggest that she contact Holland America before reserving that room, to see what kind of furniture that will sliding above Sal's head.

2Kitties--

1.* This is a stateroom that was assigned to them as a result of a guarantee booking.

2.* If you could read a deckplan and remember from when you were aboard the ship (if you really were...) you'd realize that this stateroom is beneath the carpeted area inside the Lido Restaurant - No chance of furniture sliding around willy-nilly on the deck above as you claimed occurred on your cruise.

I suggest you read what is actually posted rather than superimpose your own misery onto something that has nothing to do with you.

:cool:

St. Louis Sal,

This was our first experience with a guarantee as well. I had my TA calling Hal every couple of days or so to see if there was another price drop. I finally caved in. It got to be so easy to justify spending more money (ya!).

We will be doing the full NY to Seattle run in 7060 across from the Neptune Lounge (just a quick jump across the hall for more food--just what I need). I'm sure we'll meet up sometime. If my memory serves me from the last time on Hal, the Neptune has some kind of meet and greet on one of the first days out. Hope to see you then-

Jeff

Jeff,

Never thought about having my TA call for price drops. Actually my TA is out of the office-she's on Brilliance of the Seas on a cruise to the Panama Canal! I'm planning to talk with her when she gets back to see if she has any insight or suggestions.

You're right about the cost, it's like looking at new cars. The longer you look after awhile the sticker shock wears off and suddenly the prices don't look so bad. We were mighty tempted by the PS but you have to draw the line somewhere :D

I'm sure we'll run into each other-April 21 is fast approaching.

St. Louis Sal

We were in 8086 or 8088 on Westerdam last year for 2 wk Bk-to-Bk! Loss of that space for the 3rd closet didn't bother us at all!!! We put suitcases there & snorkel stuff, etc. There was PLENTY of space even without the extra closet. Never heard any kind of noise above us -- or at least I cannot recall anything. We slept so good on that bedding!!!

Am waiting on a balcony guarantee on Volendam now -- sure would be GLAD to get a cabin like that 8086!!!

Archived