Cruising with 3 kids

ShedQueen77

We're in the process of booking our second cruise with the kids this time. Our kids are ages 11, 5, and 3. Booking two cabins is out of the question unless DH and I sleep in separate cabins, which I do not want to do.

Are there any types of cabins available that will sleep this many? Particularly on Carnival? I'm assuming we'd have to book a suite just so we don't knock into each other getting dressed! :D But, do the suites sleep 5 people? I'm guessing we'd have to book WAY out to get a cabin if that's the case.

Am I insane for wanting to do this? You wouldn't believe how many nasty comments and raised eyebrows I get when I say we want to take the kids. "It won't be a vacation", "You'll go crazy with them in a 'closed space' for 5-7 days (like a ship is a jail cell or something :rolleyes: )"...

We aren't taking them this time, because it's our wedding/honeymoon cruise and our first besides. We want to get a decent feel for cruising in general before we attempt it with the runtlings. I'm feeling bad about leaving them behind this time and would LOVE to let them have the experience too. Maybe I should wait a few years?

Any advice or experience anyone would care to share? Thank you so much!

I'm not sure about the cabins that fit 5 on Carnival, but I know that some of the ships have adjoining cabins. I would think you would have to book pretty well in advance to take advantage of these.

The Carnival Triumph has some cabins for five. Our son and wife took three kids in a balcony cabin for five two years ago. It was tight, but they made it. However, we did help out by having one or two of the kids sleep with us in our mini-suite a few nights. I think most Carnival ships have cabins for five. They had a great time; kids were 5,5 & 3.

If you can find, and spring for, two connecting rooms, or a mini-suite, that would give you much more room. With all the beds down, and all the paraphenalia of a family, it got kind of congested. But they'd do it again.

I am sailing on the inspiration out of Tampa. We will have 5 in the cabin. Me, DH, DD10, DD8, DS5. We have a standard oceanview room. If you call Carnival they will give you a list of the boats that have rooms for 5 in one cabin.

Felicia

Holiday-class, Fantasy-class and Destiny-class Carnival ships all have cabins that sleep 5. We've done it twice on Carnival Victory - balcony cabin with twin beds combined to make a queen-size for DH and me, a convertible sofa for 1, a pull-down bunk, and a rollaway cot. The first time our kids were 13, 8 and 4, and we did just fine with all of us together. It does require a bit of juggling when your're all trying to get dressed, but it's doable. What we would do before dinner is have two get dressed first, then go out on the balcony while the others got ready. Another suggestion I've seen is for some to use the showers in the gym area to free up bathroom space.

Our kids have accompanied us on all our cruises. Carnival's kids program is very good - if your kids are like ours, you'll have a tough time prying them away from Camp Carnival. We had no problem finding time for just the two of us.

Hope this helps!

I haven't cruised with kids on Carnival, but I have on RCCL. If you can get connecting cabins, I strongly suggest that. We did that on our last cruise and it was heaven for my husband and I. Once the girls were asleep, we would be able to have some alone time... plus the extra storage really helped as well as the two bathrooms.

Jenn

If you're interested in looking at other cruise lines besides Carnival, both NCL and Royal Carribbean have family suites that sleep 5. We've been on NCL's Dawn in an AB Penthouse Suite that has 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, living area, and dining area. We LOVED it! The second bedroom would work out nicely for the 3 kids. We're going on the same ship, same type of cabin again this June. Link to pics is in my signature.

Happy Sailing!!! :D

You're not a nut. We've had 3 ADULTS and 2 kids in a Disney room...we did it by booking my SIL into a friends cabin then having her sleep in ours cause Disney didn't allow 5.

I could see doing it with 3 kids, no doubt. Carnival, RCCL and NCL all have cabins for 5. The ones on RCCL are NOT listed on the web site and they go fast.

Pending on what ship you do, it *may* be cheaper to do 2 Ocean Views on Carnival, than 1 suite for 5. This is the reason....

I just booked Sensation on CCL, it is $345 per person 1st and 2nd person in the room, $245 3rd and 4th. So you could get 2 Ocean Views on Sensation for $1625 total. Then you could have 2 bathrooms.

Just keep an eye out for specials and traveling during the lowest priced travel periods of the year.

We were told that Carnival does have family rooms which accomodate a family of 5. We have booked an oceanview guarantee to accomodate 5--2 adults, 3 kids. Carnival also has some family rooms located near the very top of the ship on the Spa Deck (category 6E)--I assume these rooms would also accomodate 5. We were told that our room would have the bunks and a rollaway and were guaranteed to receive a stateroom that would accomodate 5.

It was the least expensive option for us doing it this way as the 3rd, 4th and 5th passenger pay a reduced rate sharing the same room. If we would have reserved an adjoining stateroom, we would have to pay 4 adult rates as opposed to 2.

We are anxiously looking forward to our cruise in July and are wondering what room we will be assigned too!

Archived