Classic Tuscany and Pisa?

I can give you a couple of hints about Pisa which may help free up some time for your other locations. We purchased tickets online (before our cruise) for a very early admission. There were absolutely NO lines and only about a dozen total tourists hanging around that early in the morning. You are advised to come about 30 minutes in advance of your tour and you can spend that time taking all the photos you want of the tower and field of miracles. The time in and on the tower will take you no more than one hour. You could pad in about 20 minutes for souvenir shopping, though it probably won't take you that long. I suspect you'll be perfectly satisfied with 2 hours (or less) in Pisa.

Here is the website for tickets: http://www.opapisa.it/boxoffice/first.jsp

It would be possible if you hire a private guide/car of do it on your own (this would take a lot of pre-trip homework). We have driven from Livorno to Sienna..worked our way back to San Gimignano (one of our favorite places in Italy) and than stopped at a few small villages along the back roads of Tuscany as we kept working our way back to Livorno. If you get an early start, you could spend a couple of hours in Sienna, have a quick lunch in San Gimignano, and than stop at Pisa on your way back to the ship. Its only a half hour drive from Pisa back to the port. Keep in mind that Tuscany is a very large area with many interesting villages and cities. After our first cruse to Italy (about 20 years ago) we have returned and spent many weeks driving ourselves around Italy and Tuscany. After all of our trips we still feel like we have hardly "dented" this wonderful country and will probably spend a few more weeks in Tuscany next summer.

Hank

Thank you for your responses. I think we are going to hire a private driver and do both. I know that I am going to love Tuscany and I realize that you need to spend time there to really see it and experience it. One day will just have to do this time around.

The purpose of this particular vacation is to introduce our children to Europe - we have spent quite a bit of time in England in the past but they have never been exposed to multiple countries, languages and customs and we really want them to see that there is a broader world out there. They have been introduced to Roman and Greek history in school so it is a good time for them to see some of it in person. Since they are just pre-teens, we chose Italy and the Greek Isle itineary to mix up touring with the beach... a little fun for all.

Archived