Review of POA 7/25 sailing, long

Palmist

Originally posted by Jeconk

You cannot get Alamo's best price online. You have to call their Hawaii offices direct and use the code 6T.

I've been meaning to ask about this and you have just given me the opportunity. How do you 'use code 6T' ? Do you call up, request the rates, and then whisper psst! code 6T? I've seen people refer to codes like this before but never tried to use one.

I booked all my rental cars with Alamo online (for Kauai, Hilo, and Kahului) and entered the 6T code in the "rate code" box. I tried it with and without the code each time and always got better rates on midsize cars with the code (26.88+tax). If you want other sizes, there may not be any savings. So yes, you can do it online. People who are costco members report that the costco's member-only rates are better. If you want your spouse to drive the car as well, thrifty might be a better deal because they don't charge extra for this. Alamo charges $7 for extra driver.

As for car pick-up. At all the ports above, we just come out and either the shuttle is right there waiting, or there was someone with sign and clipboard, or look for the "rent-a-car shuttles" sign and wait. We didn't have to call and confirm any of this and they had our name on the clipboard at Hilo (where they're out of cars and weren't letting anyone with no reservation on the van.) If the Alamo shuttle isn't there, ask the National guys. They are sister companies and sometimes use the same van.

We returned our car after the first day in Kauai, but someone else reported having to pre-book the overnight parking spot there if you want to park inside. (Do a search or look for some recent POA reviews.) In Kahului, there is plenty of free parking about a 10-min walk away (gated area with the gate open and 24-hr security). There were some spaces right across the street from the pier but those are always full.

For returning the car, just return the car and take the shuttle back to the ship. If you're planning to return at unusual hours, ask when the shuttles run when you pick up the car. (i.e., the shuttles run until 9:30pm in Kauai)

I was interested in knowing a bit more about formal nights. Which nights are formal nights? Which restaurants do formal and which stay resort casual? Does it apply to the 2 main resaurants only or also the 3 specialty restaurants?

Thanks!

I was interested in knowing a bit more about formal nights. Which nights are formal nights? Which restaurants do formal and which stay resort casual? Does it apply to the 2 main resaurants only or also the 3 specialty restaurants?

Thanks!

Formal night was Tuesday, optional in all the restaurants.

I agree. Hubby wants to cancel but we will lose $218 in cancellation insurance if we do (I guess it's already lost anyways when we purchased it, but it's kinda like admitting defeat). I'm still hoping things will get better in the coming months:)

I'm in the same boat as you are, but I have a little more time to decide. However, I'll lose $100 in the air ticket deposit ($50 each). Fortunately, my final payment is not until October, so I'm hoping for the best (at least SOME improvement), but preparing for the worse. If things don't get better, I'll probably have my TA look for a late booking special for Tahiti or the Panama Canal. I'd rather do Hawaii this time around, but would rather have a good cruise experience than just a fair cruise experience.

I'm in the same boat as you are, but I have a little more time to decide. However, I'll lose $100 in the air ticket deposit ($50 each). Fortunately, my final payment is not until October, so I'm hoping for the best (at least SOME improvement), but preparing for the worse. If things don't get better, I'll probably have my TA look for a late booking special for Tahiti or the Panama Canal. I'd rather do Hawaii this time around, but would rather have a good cruise experience than just a fair cruise experience.

For those already booked on the POA and considering backing out (assuming things don't improve), you have to decide if a not so great cruise experience will spoil a week visiting at least 3 of the Hawaiian islands, we went to Lanai so we saw 4 islands. There are full no sea days on this cruise and the 1/2 day at sea is spent scenic cursing the Na Pali Coast! The ship’s amenities are not so important with this itinerary. However, if you expect to be pampered and feed consistently good food, this cruise may not be right for you.

Archived