MSC Alcohol Policy

czechmate

During June Cruise Critic ran a very informative series relating to the alcohol policy of cruise lines. The final summary was that the vast majority of the major players were not allowing passengers to make use of alcohol purchased in the ships shop or ashore. You were expected to pay the bar prices for any alcohol consumed whilst onboard. MSC was not included in the cruise lines surveyed. I wrote an e-mail to "feedback" and asked for information on the MSC polica and never received a response.

I know that up until April this year MSC were quite happy for guests to bring their own alcohol on board, to consume alcohol purchased in the so called "duty free" shops, and even to take this to the dining room without paying corkage. I should be interested to learn if the "new faces" have decided to change this. Anyone sailed recently that can enlighten us?

Pity CruiseCritic did not wish to include them in the survey.

Just my opinion - but the dining room wine list carried reasonable charges for MOST wines and I could not see the point of taking your own - particularly when it was a white or sparkling and thus was not chilled....

Ahhh...too bad! When we sailed in May, they still allowed it. I even saw a guy (honest!) bring a bottle of booze in a brown paper bag into one of the bars. He ordered a soft drink, dumped the hard stuff in and was as happy as could be. This was done "under the table", but it was pretty obvious what was in the bag next to him. He had purchased it ashore.

I never have been able to figure out the people who can't go without a particular wine for a week. Or the people who go WAY above and beyond to figure out how to "smuggle" beverages on board. I carry a small flask, but forget to go back to the cabin to fill up...I'm too busy having fun with new friends to bother! And don't even get me started on the ones who bring cases of soda and/or water!!

I have found this board to be so nice and tolerant of each other...so please don't bash me for the previous statement and burst my bubble! LOL

nocaper

Thanks Mike...........Never read the Terms and Conditions before!! Trusting hey!! That answers the brought on board wonder if they will retain the purchases from the duty free shop. I do remember the young lady sealing the bottle we bought very tightly in a bag and saying to us "I have to do this - but its no problem you can open when you get to your cabin". Truth was the bottle was a present for our waiter Luigi who was celebrating his first wedding anniversary!!

no caper........as you say shame!! but agree totally with your other comments!! No BIG stick from me.

As checkmate reported most cruise lines policy is not to bring booze on board.

Every recent cruise we have been on.... I did not see anyone stopped or when they reported back to the board they had no problem.

It really depends on the cost of the wine on the ship if we even bring it on board.

I do wish more ship would have the "dine and wine" package. Friends of ours got it on a transatlantic crossing and cost was very resonable. The problem is the cruise lines didn't push it and it had to be purchased on the day we boarded.

Most time when we have seen people bring on cases of ??? is because it was a family reunion or a company having a party/meeting.

I came off Armonia yesterday. We took a bottle aboard at embarkation, no problem. We bought a bottle in the Duty Free shop on the first day of the cruise & took it back to the cabin, no problem. We took a few bottles aboard in various ports, no problem.

Nothing was mentioned at all regarding taking alcohol aboard or having it retained by the DF Shop until the end of the cruise. Others bought things all the time, including cartons of cigarettes and walked out the shop with them.

The wine package was good value. This was promoted in the embarkation hall, but I did not see anything mentioned about it once aboard, but then I wasn't looking, as we'd decided to have it. For 100 Euro you get 7 bottles of wine, 6 Italian, 1 French. 3 are Red, 3 White & 1 Rose, together with 14 bottles of water, either still or sparkling, your choice. The wines are a set selection. One gets a booklet of vouchers and you use them as you require.

All the wines were very drinkable, we kept waiting for the 'duff' one, but it never came. We are not wine buffs, but these were all fairly decent and I'd have any again. I will post the list of the wines and their specific details later, if anyone is interested?

Pam - Thanks for the news "hot of the press". Knew that we could absolutely rely on you for the full details.

The wine package sounds interesting! Hope that MSC keep it going when we sail in April, 2005!!

I brought both alcohol from the shore and bought it at the duty free shop. I even left it in plain view in my room because the lid wouldn't seal and no one ever said anything to me about it. (MCS Melody late JUNE.) Hope they keep it that way - not that I actually drank much - except the first night to keep the motion of the boat to a minimum... LOL - got sick anyway - but it was my first cruise so hopefully the next one we'll all be fine! :-D

• 2 weeks later...

Please post specifics and thanks,

Marge

All the wines were very drinkable, we kept waiting for the 'duff' one, but it never came. We are not wine buffs, but these were all fairly decent and I'd have any again. I will post the list of the wines and their specific details later, if anyone is interested?

I thought you might be interested in what was on the wine package we purchased on our Opera Med cruise last week:

White Italians:

Soave Classico d.o.c "Le Poesie" Cantina di Soave

Chardonnay i.g.t. "Ca' Viri"

Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi d.o.c classico superiore "Moncaro"

Red Italians:

Lyricus Rosso Piceno d.o.c "Colonnara"

Merlot Friuli Grave d.o.c "La Fornarina"

Red French:

Domaine de la Jeannette Rouge

Rose Italian:

Garda Classico Chiaretto d.o.c. Colli a lago "Selva Capuzza"

and of course 14 minerale waters included (your choice of flat or fizzy) from various well-known Italian sources

All very drinkable wines!

I thought you might be interested in what was on the wine package we purchased on our Opera Med cruise last week:

The same as ours on Armonia with one exception. I'll give a little more information, for those who may be wine buffs:)

White Italians:

Soave Classico d.o.c "Le Poesie" Cantina di Soave

"Well balanced dry wine with hint of almonds and slightly bitter aftertaste"

Chardonnay i.g.t. "Ca' Viri"

"Fine & elegant wine with delicate fragrances of acacia's honey"

Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi d.o.c classico superiore "Moncaro"

"Delicate vinous bouquet, dry & harmonic flavour"

Red Italians:

Lyricus Rosso Piceno d.o.c "Colonnara"

"Bright ruby colour, vinous bouquet, full and smooth flavour"

Merlot Friuli Grave d.o.c "La Fornarina"

We did not have this one. Instead it was:-

Cabernet i.g.t. Venezie " Friulvini"

"Intense ruby red, distinctive vinous bouquet, dry & persistent palate"

Red French:

Domaine de la Jeannette Rouge

"Delicate dry wine, colour purplish, slightly scented flavour"

Rose Italian:

Garda Classico Chiaretto d.o.c. Colli a lago "Selva Capuzza"

"Rose colour with ruby glares, delicate bouquet with floral and fruity scent, fresh aroma with almonds aftertaste"

and of course 14 minerale waters included (your choice of flat or fizzy) from various well-known Italian sources

All very drinkable wines!

Indeed all very drinkable. We found we didn't need the 2 waters [75cl bottles], just drank one between us at the table & took the other back to the cabin for the next day.

The suggested wines on the menu were around the 18 - 24 Euro mark [most 20 or 22 Euro], still not badly priced, but made the wine package look even better. The 3 other couples on our table hadn't seen it on offer in the terminal. You could purchase it onboard that evening. I showed them the details, but they didn't buy it saying they would never drink a bottle a night between them. Hmm, well they all did, and then thought it would have been better to have had the package [easy to say though after having seen & had our opinion of what they tasted like.] A gamble taken that paid off, they could have been awful to drink, but weren't, not one bottle.

Pam

Marge

It is the ONLY place for all important reading!!

Anyone who has read my postings know I have more thumbs than fingers or the brain and fingers do not work at same time!!

Main things is this -INVITATION to Marge and Ernie, "Cod" and husband you are hereby invited to Cabin 12005 for a party!! What we drink and where it was bought can be decided later. Main thing is you seem great folks and am sure this is going to be FANTASTIC fun cruise for all!!

Cheers - hiccup!! Pardon

Barry

Thanks czechmate, it's a deal. I'm glad SOMEONE has quarters for a party. I'm afraid that our guaranteed inside wouldn't work!

I look forward to meeting everyone who has been putting in their two-cents on this board and who has made learning about MSC, Opera, etc. so much fun.

One thing is for sure - or so I believe - we are never going to produce a more entertaining laughter filled review than bdintertech. :-) Keep going back again and agin and each time is as good as the first!!

The thing that really shouts to me is "No one is going to spoil this cruise for me" and that is a brilliant attitude.

OK, cod and everyone...... that is going to be on 'this' cruise where to meet for a pre-cruise GTG (get together)?

Checkmate where are you in relationship to Palm-Aire?

Marge & Ernie will be at Fairfield Fort Lauderdale at The Fairways of Palm-Aire on 2601 Palm- Aire Dr. North, Pompano Beach, Fl. (we are on the coastal waterway) 15 mi from Ft. Lauderdale airport. I don't remember from the pier but if you rent a car and Alamo takes you to the pier for 'free' it's not far.

There are so many neat places in FLL to meet. Let's hear some suggestions!!!!

Marge

Hi Marge

We arrive at Fort Lauderdale Marina Marriott thursday. From there we can get to any local point you designate.

Sure that you have far better local knowledge than do we so we appont you our official party point organiser.

Sure that you have far better local knowledge than do we so we appont you our official party point organiser.

OK I just organized.... saw the photo of deck,maybe a bar, at the Marina Marriott looks perfect for a GTG. We'll see if there are more suggestions as we go along.

Your 12.7 miles south from our place. Hope everything is still standing in Florida after these two hurricanes.

Hi Marge

That is a super area at the Marina Marriott and yes there is a bar too!! Could be a great place if no other suggestions come up in meanwhile.

How would you all feel about a pre-sailing party in our cabin starting say 17.30/18.00 on Saturday 2nd?

The storms were BAD and this morning we hear that a third hurrican could be building and heading for Florida. Charley left out travel agent in Orlando with

2 trees in his home and without power for 5 days. Sent him a message last night that we sincerely hope he fared better.

Hi Marge

How would you all feel about a pre-sailing party in our cabin starting say 17.30/18.00 on Saturday 2nd?"

We asked for first seating which is suppose to be at 6pm your 18.00. But would sure want to see the great view from your cabin when we depart at 7p. I vote for 18.30 I guess we'll miss first seating.

I think we should also meet for the pre-pre-cruise around 4p for cocktails. I don't see any nice wide viewing area like some ships. How is the location of the Lord Nelson or would BYBLOS be open?

Archived