Dunns River Falls- getting there, and with a child

SUWife

I have two questions. First what is a cheap and easy way to get to the falls? We don't want to do the cruise excursions because they were costly and paired with other things. Is there a good company to book just a tour with? Also my stepdaughter will be almost 5 at the time. Will she be able to do this? I want her to get to experience the falls, but if it's too much for her we can leave her at Camp Carnival, and then get her as soon as the falls are over to see Jamaica some.

We booked with Phil Lafayette and had a great time. He was fun and informative... and his prices were very reasonable as well!

I don't remember seeing any small children at the Falls, but that doesn't mean there weren't any. There are some deep areas and some areas that are a little hard to climb, but you could help her very easily if you have someone watch her while you go up first so you can pull her up. The water rushes pretty hard in a few areas, you'll have to watch that.

Take a water camera and have fun! :)

I didn't like yardie. I just checked their website and all their falls tours are coupled with something else. I just want to do a falls tour, nothing else.

SUWife, you should email them and see if they'll do something for you that's only to the falls. If Phil doesn't have anyone else booked that day, I bet he would do it for you. If not, he might send his daughter to pick you up and take you. Just an idea, but I wouldn't give up if you don't see exactly what you want on their sites.

Try google-ing Ocho Rio's but read somewhere that 8 is the min age we went horse back ridding ds is only 7 and had a great time!

We did a boat tour because you have sooooo many people asking to take you on tours it can be a little overwhelming. Book someone online before you go and make sure they are licenced (JUTA) I belive they only let licenced people into the gaited port area.

We climed the falls on our honey moon there were stairs so mabye you could take turns? Beautiful area but lots of local people trying to sell stuff there is a market area with alot of people!

The ocean is at the base a few feet from the bottom so you can swim too.

Hope this helps:rolleyes:

We used Marva Shaw and booked through KnowJamaica. I have already posted extensive and very positive reviews about our late March Falls/Tubing/Beach excursion she offered and would highly recommend you consider her. But your question about children is something I wanted to comment on.

Our particular tour with Marva consisted of 3 families, with one of the families consisting of 2 women and 2 very young children. Marva did an excellent and efficient job of customizing the day for all 3 families without any delay.

We all did the Dunns Falls first ... IMHO the climb would be a bit difficult for a 5 year old, especially if they are not very athletic or daring ... the water is rushing very fast in spots, the rocks are slippery and a few points along the route require some climbing dexterity ... even with a guide!

The tubing down the White River should be completely fine for a 5 yo ... the inner tube "hole" is covered by a plastic disc, so your butt is actually resting on it as you float (and you hold hands to stay together and the water is not fast or deep). Our kids loved it and one of the children and adults from the other family joined us for the float, while the younger child and parent were driven over to Reggae Beach. Marva shuttled all of the families back and forth quite easily since the 3 sites aren't that far apart.

The Reggae Beach visit is great for kids because the waves aren't that strong and the sand is very very soft. I would strongly consider booking your entire Ocho Rios day with Marva Shaw and do your shopping at another port! You won't regret that decision.

I didn't like yardie. I just checked their website and all their falls tours are coupled with something else. I just want to do a falls tour, nothing else.

Just like the other person said contact them,they are flexible and will deliver.

We did it thru Mark Morris last week and had a great time. We also did the tubing and some sightseeing but if you were his only family, I'm sure he would do what you wanted.

If you are adventurous, maybe you could get a taxi and go just to the Falls on your own. It wasn't that far from where we docked.

In my opinion, the falls would be a difficult climb for most 5 year old girls. There are some areas that you really have to take a high step to get up and the water is splashing down toward you at the same time. We saw a couple little children and they seemed to be struggling getting a foot hold. It didn't seem like the kids were enjoying it, nor the parents since they had to get their own foothold and really help the kids.

Frankly, I'd wait and take her when she's a couple years older and a bit taller to make the climb. As another poster suggested, you might consider tubing, but make sure you get with a group that uses some type of bottom to the tubes so she doesn't fall through.

My 6 year old did it with no problems. She was right behind me and used me like a rope and just walked up the rocks. Since I was in front she didn't really need to ever do a high step. We all enjoyed it but I think she enjoyed it the most since she was carefree about it.

• 2 weeks later...
I have two questions. First what is a cheap and easy way to get to the falls? We don't want to do the cruise excursions because they were costly and paired with other things. Is there a good company to book just a tour with? Also my stepdaughter will be almost 5 at the time. Will she be able to do this? I want her to get to experience the falls, but if it's too much for her we can leave her at Camp Carnival, and then get her as soon as the falls are over to see Jamaica some.

I am traveling with 3 5 year olds and I have just booked an excursion with Marva Shaw. We are going to Dunns River Falls, River tubing and Reggae Beach. I have spoken to her personally and to another company and they both assured me that they were both perfectly safe for my 5 year olds.

When are you going?:)

Archived