Napier -distance from port to town

uktog

We are keen to do a wine tour and also see the Art Deco town. On the basis our wineries tour will get back about lunchtime and we do not leave until 1700 how easy is it to walk from the cruisehip into town or are taxis readily available. I have struggled to find an independent tour that will cover both options but maybe you great floks can recommend someone

Which cruise line are you on? We were on Holland America last November. The town of Napier provided a shuttle bus into the centre.

The port is only about a mile away. You could walk it if you wanted to.

It is a commercial port and pedestrians are not allowed, so I think you will find some sort of shuttle provided.

Do make the time to look around the town. The information centre has a 'do it yourself' walking tour brochure available for a few dollars which was really good. You can easily do this in a couple of hours. Also, don't miss the earthquake exhibition in the museum.

Napier was a lovely stop. Enjoy!

324724680_dfecae7950.jpg?v=0

324724671_968facfde8.jpg?v=0

324714930_6282dad3c7.jpg?v=1166786220

324698998_6645b2249b.jpg?v=0

Hi UKTOG

If you need some help re tour companies for the wine and art deco tour then try following the link from the Banner Ad at the top of the AUS/NZ pages for Mount Classics, their web site has a list of tour companies in napier who can most likely help out with your tour.

Regards Pheonix

Kia Ora & Haere Mai a Aotearoa (NZ for the pakeha),

If you're going into Napier there are numerous activities to partake of.

As you've indicated, there are numerous vineyards in the Hawke's Bay region you could visit but if you've been to any other vineyard, whether France, Germany, Canada, Italy, Chile, California... what you see and the process of winemkaing differs very little from one locale to another. The only exception I would say is in the Champagne region of France near Epernay where you can visit the 29kms of "caves" under ground at Moet et Chandon.

Vince's Vineyard Tours, which is owned by a guy by the name of Vince Picone has 10 seat A/C coaches. For NZ$50 the tours leave at 1pm returning at 5pm and he takes you to 4-5 different wineries in the region of Hawke's Bay. Perhaps he could customize timings for a group to fill the sailing timings. His email address is:

If you're in Napier, and the weather permits, I'd recommend a trip out to Cape Kidnapper's, a gannet colony about a 40 minute drive south west of Napier...perhaps Princess might even have a shore excursion there. It is the largest most accessible mainland gannet colony in the world.

Learn about the 1931 earthquake that devastated Napier by visiting the Hawke's Bay Museum right on the waterfront across from the beach. You can also experience the exhibits from Nga Tukemata and Ngati Kahungunu. If you visit the museum, ask for Josephine Hughes who is the exhibits director for the museum. You can tell her that her cousin Ron in Canada sent you. She'll get a kick out of that.

You can also learn of the Art Deco architecture that prevails throughout Napier by taking a walking tour, many of which are offerred. Through Napier there are various opportunities to visit Maori marae and experience the "powhiri" (Maori welcome) and "wero" (the challenge).

If the ship gets into Napier early enough, you might have the opportunity to do an early morning hot air balloon ride. (Doubt if the ship would offer this so would recommend going with an independent to meet you at the ship...google it to findstuff).

For more info on the Napier/Hastings/Hawke's Bay area you can get a lot of info at their website:

Hope you enjoy your port of call in Napier, and...

Ciao for now!!!

Kia Ora, Kia Ora (we will have em fluent by the time they get there captR)

I can't add much more to captainrons good post

Favorite winery tour: Mission Estate would have to be my favorite winery tour. the monks taking it were funny and very informative of the history of the place and the wine making process. The tour was free

http://www.missionestate.co.nz/

Favorite Attraction: Swimming with the dolphins, Marineland. I fluked getting on this when I was up there a few years ago (Book well in advance). It was a 30 -45 minute swim with the dolphins (seemed like hours) done in a small group with a couple of the trainers. Recently the oldest dolphin has died and there is some doubt if dolphins will continue there.

http://www.marineland.co.nz/whatson.php#swims

Favorite Scenic: Te Mata Peak. A short drive from Naper/Hastings passing through Havelock North there is a Peak that rises 400 Metres above the surrounding flat land. Amazing views

th_55027_1386238_Te_Mata_Peak_Napier_122_561lo.jpg th_55028_2665980_Te_Mata_Peak_Napier_122_379lo.jpg

I could quite easily retire here

Kakete

Scott + Mihi

:)

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I won't be cruising until February, but I have booked a tour with Hawkes Bay Scenic Tours Ltd. They seem to offer just about everything in one tour. Check out their web site -- www.hbscenictours.co.nz

Jean

I'm considering this tour company, as they also seem to include a lot of variety:

Ferg's Fantastic Tours

fergy@xtra.co.nz

http://www.fairwaytours.co.nz

We are traveling on Celebrity Mercury, arriving in Napier on Feb. 06.

Joyce

We are traveling on Celebrity Mercury, arriving in Napier on Feb. 06.

Joyce

Good move to have something booked

Waitangi Day is on Wednesday 6 February 2008. It is a national holiday celebrating the signing of a treaty between the Maori and the Pakeha (europeans)

Kia Ora,

As I've said before, these boards are a bevy of info. Thank you all for your postings we will be sailing with HAL in Feb.07. You have all made my "homework" exciting. I am sailing with a group of 6 and have been their main informant for what to do and see, and I'm learning a few new words.

Kakete,

Sandy (how did I do on the language:):)

For ZSandy25 (well done) ... spotted this on the NZ Customs web site

The following are some greetings and common phrases in Maori which you may hear or wish to use during your stay in New Zealand:

Greetings

Kia ora - Hi

Tēnā koe - Hello (to one person)

Tēnā kōrua - Hello (to two people)

Tēnā koutou - Hello (to three or more people)

Question

Kei te pēhea koe? - How are you?

Responses

Kei te pai ahau - I’m good

Ka nui te ora - I’m great

Me koe? - And you?

Farewells

Haere rā - Goodbye (to someone leaving)

E noho rā - Goodbye (to someone staying)

Ka kite anō - See you again

Hei konā - See you later

Archived