Baby (Not PottyTrained) in Pool?

mdanovich

How strict is the Dawn with the policy? I'm concerned that it'll be hot and baby would want to just stick her feet into the water. She'll be 11 1/2 months old at the time of sail.

thoughts? has anyone brought a blow up pool to bring?

NCL's web site says:

According to United States Public Health (U.S.P.H.) regulations, no diapers of any kind are permitted in the swimming pools or jacuzzis, including those marketed as "swimmers."

Based on what I've read here on CC, they ARE strict about it - for good reason. You might want to consider bringing along a small blow-up pool for your child.

Although I agree with the rule against non-potty trained babies in pools, I question as to whether the USPH really does prohibit this? The reason why I ask is that a friend of mine called her local health department (in NJ) to complain about babies being allowed in diapers in her condo pool, and the health department said it was perfectly legal.

I do know that it IS illegal in California. I wonder if it's a state law? I wonder too.. if the cruise ships are mistaken about the prohibition (although, again, I'm glad it's in place).

I did a google search using the words "USPH" "diapers" and "pools" and was unable to find evidence that it is a federal law. The only mentions are in relation to cruise ships-- which seems odd. Find it odd that this law would ONLY apply to cruise ships. Can anyone shed some light on this?

hope they keep them out, if they have an accident, the pool would have to be closed, emptied, cleaned, and refilled. All the other passengers would be out of luck for many hours, or all day easily.

If they don't catch it time, look out! E Coli is not a friendly little critter!!!

In Ontario Canada at the YMCA, babies are allowed to wear 'Little Swimmers' diapers to their swim classes.

This is kind of related...I am always grossed out by pools that have swim-up bars. People sit on stools in the water for hours at all-inclusive resorts drinking their money's worth and you rarely see anybody leave and use the washroom. Yewwwwww! That bothers me far more than a baby or 2 with Little Swimmers on. Just IMO....

I think the reaason for not allowing swim diapers on cruise ships is that they are salt walter pools and have limited filtration systems. Not like the fresh water pools on land. I think they have to meet some sanitary standards but they do not have chlorine in them.

Luanne

In Ontario Canada at the YMCA, babies are allowed to wear 'Little Swimmers' diapers to their swim classes.

This is kind of related...I am always grossed out by pools that have swim-up bars. People sit on stools in the water for hours at all-inclusive resorts drinking their money's worth and you rarely see anybody leave and use the washroom. Yewwwwww! That bothers me far more than a baby or 2 with Little Swimmers on. Just IMO....

I agree with you about the swim up bars.. however (yeah, I know, this is gross) urine contains water, ammonia and ureum plus kreatine, kreatinine and amino acids. These substances aren't known to cause harm to swimmers. (But it's gross)

The real problem is feces. Even a small amount can cause Giardia, E. coli, Shigella and Cryptosporidium. I got curious and looked up these swim diapers, and the CDC says they may not be all they're cracked up to be:

Swim Diapers: A False Sense of Security

The use of swim diapers and swim pants may give many parents and pool staff a false sense of security regarding fecal contamination.

No published scientific information exists on how well they are able to keep feces or infection-causing germs from leaking into the pool.

However, it is unlikely that swim diapers are able to keep diarrheal stools, the high risk event, from leaking into the pool.

Be aware that swim diapers and swim pants are not a solution for a child with diarrhea or a substitute for frequent diaper changing.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthyswimming/newsletters/vol1no1.htm

Ewww... Ewww... and more Ewww.:eek:

I'm all for babies having a good time but I, and hopefully many others, can see why they wouldn't be allowed in the pool with diapers, swimmy pants, or whatever.

There is a kids pool on the Dawn in the aft of the ship. If I remember correctly, they do have a small kiddie pool? Someone who has been on recently might be able to help more, but that would probably be the best spot to let the baby sit on the edge and get her feet wet.:)

I have heard of others that say they've brought a blow up pool along, but I often wonder how they fill it and where they dump it? If they dump it back in the water after the baby's been in it all day, doesn't that kind of negate the purpose? Again, maybe someone who has taken one can help out more. I would think it would be less of a hassle to use the kiddie pool in the aft.

Have fun!:D

How strict is the Dawn with the policy? I'm concerned that it'll be hot and baby would want to just stick her feet into the water. She'll be 11 1/2 months old at the time of sail.

thoughts? has anyone brought a blow up pool to bring?

I have seen very small blow up pools on peoples balconys. I guess they fill it from the faucet in the sink?

It's due to lack of chlorine.Because the pools are salt water they spread ecoli if theres a accident.I've always questioned the statement"the u.s. health department regulation says no kids with diapers etc..."Thats funny you fly a foreign flag and don't answer to any other U.S gov't body?You Don't answer to the Taxation Dept for all the duty free stuff etc....Anyway it's still gross but they should just say it's cruiseline policy instead of some gov't agency.

It's due to lack of chlorine.Because the pools are salt water they spread ecoli if theres a accident.I've always questioned the statement"the u.s. health department regulation says no kids with diapers etc..."Thats funny you fly a foreign flag and don't answer to any other U.S gov't body?You Don't answer to the Taxation Dept for all the duty free stuff etc....Anyway it's still gross but they should just say it's cruiseline policy instead of some gov't agency.

Cruiselines must follow US health guidelines if they wish to visit US ports. That is why they are inspected by the CDC to make sure they are following federal sanitation and health guidelines.

Although I agree with the rule against non-potty trained babies in pools, I question as to whether the USPH really does prohibit this? The reason why I ask is that a friend of mine called her local health department (in NJ) to complain about babies being allowed in diapers in her condo pool, and the health department said it was perfectly legal.

I do know that it IS illegal in California. I wonder if it's a state law? I wonder too.. if the cruise ships are mistaken about the prohibition (although, again, I'm glad it's in place).

I did a google search using the words "USPH" "diapers" and "pools" and was unable to find evidence that it is a federal law. The only mentions are in relation to cruise ships-- which seems odd. Find it odd that this law would ONLY apply to cruise ships. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Illegal or not every cruise line claims it is. I beleive regular pools such as a condo or a public pool is different because of the filter system. At least that is the information we have gotten in the past. NMnita

For the brief time the baby is in the pool it would probably be safe enough for the short period with swim pants plus a bathing suit over top. Usually parents have a pretty good idea for their baby's 'timing'. From my experience a baby is only in the pool for a short dip to cool off and then out again. And to address the baby's safety, you may want to opt for a blow-up pool to avoid the baby coming into contact with any infections brought into the pool by adults and not being properly treated by the pool's disinfectants. I guess there's 2 issues, adults catching something because of babies and babies catching something because of adults. Something to think about...

This is the main reason I now avoid pools and hot tubs on a cruise!!! YUCK!!! On our last cruise we saw mothers putting babies in the pool and hot tubs -- after that I was totally turned off to going in them! Thanks, moms, for ruining this part of all my future cruises...:mad:

The reason I avoid hot tubs in hotels and on cruises...I've seen too many big, hairy men (women too, not necessarily hairy) sit in them far longer than they should and without showering off first. Just seems to me to be a tub of bacteria. I can't imagine sitting there myself let alone bringing a baby into that.

We were at the pool at the MGM in Las Vegas and someone had an 'accident'. They cleared the pool (which is very large at 1000 ft. long and called the lazy river) and it couldn't be used for a couple of hours until the water tested safe. We didn't go back in even though we had rented a cabana with tubes for the day....

For the brief time the baby is in the pool it would probably be safe enough for the short period with swim pants plus a bathing suit over top. Usually parents have a pretty good idea for their baby's 'timing'. From my experience a baby is only in the pool for a short dip to cool off and then out again. And to address the baby's safety, you may want to opt for a blow-up pool to avoid the baby coming into contact with any infections brought into the pool by adults and not being properly treated by the pool's disinfectants. I guess there's 2 issues, adults catching something because of babies and babies catching something because of adults. Something to think about...

You are missing the point: it is against the law and a rule that is posted by all cruise lines and strictly enforces. For many reasons the blow up pool is the only answer.....NMNita

We were just on the Dawn 3-22 through 4-1. We already knew about the rule and did not take DD into the pool. We did, however, dress her in her swimsuit up on the pool deck in order to keep her cool (and because it was adorable). We kept her in the shade, but also put a damp towel on her sometimes just in case.

Actually, there are only two ships I know of which do have an area for babies to swim (the Disney Wonder and Magic). They are able to do this by using a small pool with a continuous filtration system rather than an actual body of water.

With all the new features being added to cruise ships, I'd love to see this one used more often too! It makes things easier for people with young children as well as for people who want to keep babies out of the pool. The mini-pool on the Disney ships doesn't take up a lot of space either!

Just seems to me to be a tub of bacteria. I can't imagine sitting there myself let alone bringing a baby into that.

In 2002 we were on the Majesty and a 20ish year old guy had fallen down some cliffs in Bermuda. His whole body was like road rash. He couldn't walk and was in a wheelchair. One evening he gingerly got himself out of the wheel chair and into the hot tub. I asked him if he was nuts. He told me that the doctor at the hospital had told him to take warm baths.

EEEEWWWWWWW:eek:

In 2002 we were on the Majesty and a 20ish year old guy had fallen down some cliffs in Bermuda. His whole body was like road rash. He couldn't walk and was in a wheelchair. One evening he gingerly got himself out of the wheel chair and into the hot tub. I asked him if he was nuts. He told me that the doctor at the hospital had told him to take warm baths.

EEEEWWWWWWW:eek:

Bacteria soup....(instert gagging sound here) :eek:

I've realized we've kind of deviated away from the OP's question. My little granddaughter is 11 1/2 months old and they are so sweet at that age. I'm sure if you sat on the edge of the pool or on the steps with her on your lap and let her kick her feet for a while, I can't see how anybody could object to that. It's pretty harmless. It would cool her off and should not offend anyone. That would save you having to try to pack a blow-up pool when you already have enough stuff to take having a child that age. I don't think you were asking about a full-fledged hour long swim.

Enjoy your trip and treasure the memories, time goes by so quickly.

Maybe we should start another thread "Why I avoid hot-tubs":-)

Archived