Cruising with 2 year old....Help!

ck53

LOL

I grew up in the Suburbs of DC so I got go to places like Williamsburg, and Gettysburg, and the Smithsonian, and Philadelphia, and so many other places. And my parents took me to Boston. We now live in Florida but I remember being able to see and feel and touch just makes what I learned in school make more sense so I just want to be able to give that to my son.

The European cruises can do the same thing and it's something I need to consider in the future but only with knowing that things can go wrong and ports can be missed and definetly good cruise insurance.

I spent about one month in 1964 in the northeast. Would I could not figure out was how Washington had time to fight a war, given the number of places he slept and ate. Given all the places claiming "Washington slept here" or "Washington ate here", he must have been very busy sleeping and eating.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all - my son will be 2 1/2 years old when we cruise with RCCL and one of my concerns is what he will sleep in. Some of the rooms have a pull out couch which might work (pullman beds are definately out). We have a pack'n'play but I'd be afraid by then (he's only 15 mos. now) he'd be too big and climb out of it.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

• 4 weeks later...

bring a pack-and-play sheet with you, and your child's normal blanket... they use regular twin size sheets/ blankets on the cribs on board.

Don't forget the stroller for nap time- my 1 1/2 year old not only napped in hers, but was so tired at night that she went to sleep in it and let us enjoy the shows while she slept peacefully in the stroller!

HAVE FUN- don't forget this is your vacation too! most kids can adapt easily, mine have always loved the extra attention they get from crew members and other guests, and we have had nothing but great experiences cruising with our kids!

As someone who took her then two year old on a cruise, here is my two cents worth (note that a lot of this has already been mentioned)

Bring snacks -- I know this may sound silly on a cruise ship where you are fed constantly, but hungry toddlers are fussy. Excited toddlers do not always eat, then they are hungry later and they don't understand why there aren't any cheerios at the dinner buffet.

I concur with all the people who said bring plenty of diapers, wipes, and also some plastic bags to dispose of dirty diapers in

Bring toys, coloring books etc. I particuarly like wonder colors by crayola. The markers only work on the coloring books themselves. (My son got a hold of a regular pen while we were on the QM2 and wrote all over the desk. I have no idea how they got it out, but I guess they did.)

I think a portable DVD player along with a few of his favorite dvds is a good idea. I have one for my son when we travel--it keeps him occupied.

Even if he is too old for the children's program, you can still take him to the children's pool/center/play area. You just have to supervise.

Bring an umbrella stroller--both for on shore and the ship.

In my experience formal dining and toddlers do not mix. (I took my son everywhere when he was a baby. He almost never cried. As long as he got his bottle, he was never a problem. Then he learned to walk. He still doesn't cry a lot, but he doesn't do well sitting still for very long.) I would suggest taking your grandson to the buffet or other casual dining venues on the ship.

I had a good time with my son on our first cruise. He still talks about "the big ship." We are going again in November. I hope you have a good time too!

Archived