Our Day In San Juan

judyf

San Juan, Puerto Rico: Wednesday, 4/4/07 2:00pm to 6:30pm-all aboard

We were on the 4/1 sailing of the NCL Dawn. Mother and daughter, late 60's and late 40's. Hope this helps someone planning a port visit.

I wasn't sure what we were going to do in San Juan. I had read about the trolley tour and we were going to do that. When we got off the ship there were many drivers offering an 1 1/2 hour tour for $10 pp, can't go wrong with that price. My mother couldn't walk much so this was the best bet for us. Our driver was very nice and spoke great English. He drove us around Old San Juan and we did two stops and had about 20 minutes at each stop. One was by Old San Juan Beach it was really nice we had great views of the waves and ocean. Nice little public area here and a few gifts shops.

Our next stop was by Fort El Morro, what great views there was from here. We didn't go into the fort but was glad we made it up to it. I had a tamarind Piraguas as someone suggested on cc and it was good. After this stop we had a choice to be dropped off in Old San Juan shopping area or to be taking back to the ship. We choose to stay and do some shopping. I'm not a big shopper so we just looked through some of the stores on our way to Hard Rock Cafe. I did find a silver store and got a really good deal on a silver chain I've been looking for, that alone made getting off the ship worth it. Then we found the Hard Rock Cafe I had a hurricane and got my glass to add to the others I have. We stayed there relaxing with mostly locals at the bar for 90 minutes or so. I was going to stop at Senor Frogs but by the time we left HRC it was too late. We were back on the ship about 6pm or so. Got a few bottles of rum just before we got on the ship in the terminal, pretty good prices.

This was my first time in San Juan and I was expecting worst from all I had read about this port. It wasn't bad at all. I would have loved more time to actually go into the fort and also time to go to a beach. Next time.

Do you remember seeing Segway scooters in front of El Morro fort? I read on the boards that a man was running Segway tours in front of the fort. I was just curious to see if he is still running them. I am cruising in June to San Juan and some people in my group want to do Segway. Glad to hear that you had a good time in San Juan. We are not sure what to do either, so a $10 pp sightseeing tour may be our route, as well.

We just got a driver at the pier his name was Ernesto.

Can't remember if I saw Segway scooters as I wasn't really looking.

The Sliver shop was on the street where the tour dropped us off at. We found it as we were walking to Hard Rock Cafe. I will look for my reciept and see if I can find the name.

Here is a link to my San Juan pictures.

http://family.webshots.com/album/558671373vahfXI

I found my receipt.

I bought it at

Silver Planet Fortaleza

Calle Fortaleza, Old San Juan.

They had some great pieces. I'm always looking for something different and they had some really nice stuff. I wish now I got a few more pieces there but being the first port visit I didn't.

Their prices were good too. I buy a lot of silver and I find at some of the places you go off a ship the prices are double, that wasn't so here. Well worth a stop here if you're looking for silver. I found St. Thomas had mostly gold and the one silver shop I found, the prices were through the roof. I wouldn't but anything there at those prices, plus they didn't have as much and different things.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Gosh.... I cringe whenever I see someone post " all the bad things I read about San Juan" etc......

I guess its not for everyone..... but we absolutely loved this place.... it was clean. The people were super nice..... and we totally enjoyed our 3 days precruise stay. Can't wait to go back :D

Gosh.... I cringe whenever I see someone post " all the bad things I read about San Juan" etc......

I guess its not for everyone..... but we absolutely loved this place.... it was clean. The people were super nice..... and we totally enjoyed our 3 days precruise stay. Can't wait to go back :D

I feel the same way. I guess it's all what you do and what you're looking for. I had a great time and there's plenty more I would love to see and do.

I feel the same way. I guess it's all what you do and what you're looking for. I had a great time and there's plenty more I would love to see and do.

We are going on the Carnivale Miracle in June and not getting there until 3PM. How far is the beach. I was hoping to go staight to the beach so my kids could go swimming. What time does it get dark? If we do the beach first and wait until dark to go to old San Juan will all the shops be closed and is it safe to to walk around at night? Thanks in advance for any questions answered.

We are going on the Carnivale Miracle in June and not getting there until 3PM. How far is the beach. I was hoping to go staight to the beach so my kids could go swimming. What time does it get dark? If we do the beach first and wait until dark to go to old San Juan will all the shops be closed and is it safe to to walk around at night? Thanks in advance for any questions answered.

I'm not sure I would use "clean" to describe San Juan, but the adventureous will have a good time. San Juan is as safe as any other city in the US. Just don't wander into the slum on the far northern shore between the 2 forts. You need to go looking for trouble to get any.

The beaches are not the most accessible from port. You can take a cab to Isla Verde Beach, but it is a squeeze given your late arrival time. I would skip the beach altogether and save it for another port. It gets dark around 7:30 in June.

I'm not sure I would use "clean" to describe San Juan, but the adventureous will have a good time. San Juan is as safe as any other city in the US. Just don't wander into the slum on the far northern shore between the 2 forts. You need to go looking for trouble to get any.

The beaches are not the most accessible from port. You can take a cab to Isla Verde Beach, but it is a squeeze given your late arrival time. I would skip the beach altogether and save it for another port. It gets dark around 7:30 in June.

Well, we thought OLD San Juan was pretty clean.....I can't really comment on the rest of the city..... it is big and crowded and has freeways like any other big city so parts probably are pretty dirty.....we only ventured out of the old city once (other than to and from the airport) to Pamela's for dinner and it was dark....

found parts of Mazatlan much dirtier as well as parts of Jamaica and Belize PLEASE NOTE I SAID PARTS..... we actually loved all these places. I have only found 1 or 2 places I have travelled to my disliking.....and it was not necessarily due to the cleanliness but more the overall feeling and the people...... Nassau is definately on my list of "don't have to go there again.....as well as St. Thomas USVI.

Anyway to the posters questions..... I agree - not really a beach day.... opt instead to explore old San Juan.... we walked all over day AND NIGHT but just use good sense and stay to the main streets (avoid the dark alleys) just like you would anywhere else.... we saw many police at night and felt perfectly safe.

Hi Lilygrace, we are on the same cruise as you. Our roll call is just now starting to take off, we'd love for you to come over and join us - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=331

. It gets dark around 7:30 in June.

I just want to interject that the "slum area" is north of the barrier wall where the less privlidge live. The streets in OSJ are as safe as any touristy city is going to be but that bad area isn't really in a place where people would just wander into by mistake either. The city isn't "dirty" I don't think but rather old. Many of these buildings were built in the 1500's and are still being used today. A must see, the old cathedral still in use today. It's always open for guests to go in and worship if they need. The cemetary by the fort is cool to wander thru and the fort is full of wonderful history.

Just don't try to make eye contact with many of the homeless. They don't bother you but it is depressing and sometimes may make your tummy churn

Archived