Looking Ahead to 2009 - Cruise Critic Cruise on QM2 - holiday sailing - interested?

DcJohn

Ok, I realize this is way too far in advance for most people but, I am going to attempt to organize an Official Cruise Critic holiday cruise on QM2 for 2009. This would be an actual Christmas/New Year's cruise, and, not the week before or week after.

If you're interested, just post here. Keep in mind that nothing can be done until some time in 2008 but, I just want to see if there is interest before approach Community Leader Laura with the idea and, hopeful approval.

So even if you have a bit of interest, please post here and, we'll see what happens!

John

I'd consider it although a great deal would depend on the QE2 - if she's still about then I'd be much more likely to be on her and also where the QM2 would be - I don't fly for more than a couple of hours if I can help it and wouldn't really consider flying to a what should be a fairly dressy cruise with only a limited luggage allowance. If the QM2 were to do something like Southampton - New York - Caribbean - New York - Southampton then I'd be interested.

I wouldn't, I'm afraid, even consider it.

Cunard are unlikely to do anything other than the Caribbean at Christmas, unless we charter the ship (and that's not going to happen).

I can't see the interest in flying to do the Caribbean. It's not an area that is high on my "must see" list, and I don't like flying either.

I'll fly Upper Class (Virgin) or equivalent from New York as the price of doing a transatlantic. Otherwise it's a no go.

Were you to suggest a transatlantic then I would be much more interested. Sorry to be a party pooper.

Matthew

I'd book ANY Cunard ship from NYC for the holidays in 2009. Personally, I'm hoping they shake things up a bit and send over Queen Victoria but, I'll book QM2 or even QE2 (the latter I know is highly unlikely), nonetheless, if there is a Cunard ship in NY Harbor for the holidays in 2009, I will be on it! :D So, yes, to a CC group for the holidays in 2009.

We are booked on Victoria for 2008 so coming back to the States in 2009 is a very real possibility. And, to those who nay say about the higher cost of cruising during the actual holidays, some of us really enjoy it and don't mind paying for it. And, the OP did say this would be specifically for the holiday sailing...

Patrick

Christmas week is always more expensive. We did the Dec 9th Christmas cruise and it was well decorated.

We're not interested in paying so much extra for Christmas week.

We couldn't go on 9 December - We couldn't get the time off work. Work closes for two weeks over Christmas and there's usually at least three weeks between one term finishing and the next starting so whilst we could look at being away over Christmas we couldn't before Christmas.

We're new here. What is an Official Cruise Critic holiday cruise?

An official Cruise Critic cruise is one that is organized by a Cruise Critic member, in this case, DCJohn. The first step is to see if there are enough people interested in the same sailing date and ship. That's what is happening here.

Once there is a commitment of at least 8 cabins, the group leader (DC John) then contacts Laura who manages Cruise Critic. Laura then contacts Cruise Critic approved travel agencies who bid on the cruise and then Laura presents the best offer back to the group leader, DCJohn.

(However, in this case, there will be a wait, probably won't know until NEXT Spring since 2008 prices just came out now. Getting organized this early is a good idea though.)

Once DCJohn places a deposit, the cruise is then opened to the rest of Cruise Critic members for booking.

The advantages are often a nice savings off regular pricing and sometimes perks like onboard credit.

While I don't expect any bargins or much in the way of perks, I would be interested to see the pricing but only if it is a New York sailing. I have no interest in flying to Florida during the holidays and have booked Noordam for this Christmas/New Years for the holidays this year and will be booking Explorer of the Seas for 2008. My fingers are crossed that Cunard will have a ship for us here in the Northeast for 2009 for the holidays.

If that's the case, we would need at least 3 cabins.

Looking at my group for 08 the least expensive INSIDE is 3500+.. this is Xmas and New Years's. Not an insignificant chunk of change for folks.

The most successful group cruises are 7 nights or less with entry level price points under 1000 per person.

Looking at my group for 08 the least expensive INSIDE is 3500+.. this is Xmas and New Years's. Not an insignificant chunk of change for folks.

The most successful group cruises are 7 nights or less with entry level price points under 1000 per person.

Which would rarely include Cunard, except for possible weekend cruises that are only 4 nights. Cunard wouldn't place its ships in itineraries or dates that wouldn't sell.... And people do know what to expect pricewise when booking Cunard, at least I hope they would...

I worked for Royal Caribbean for 10 years in both individual and group reservations and I have a friend who works for Cunard in reservations. First, Cunard still offers lower rates to groups. Secondly, if people have enough notice, which this is certainly affording, they can plan and budget accordingly if they truly wish to take advantage of the offer.

That being said, since I am no longer a Royal Caribbean employee, I'd be interested in trying Cunard!

Which would rarely include Cunard, except for possible weekend cruises that are only 4 nights. Cunard wouldn't place its ships in itineraries or dates that wouldn't sell.... And people do know what to expect pricewise when booking Cunard, at least I hope they would...

I worked for Royal Caribbean for 10 years in both individual and group reservations and I have a friend who works for Cunard in reservations. First, Cunard still offers lower rates to groups. Secondly, if people have enough notice, which this is certainly affording, they can plan and budget accordingly if they truly wish to take advantage of the offer.

That being said, since I am no longer a Royal Caribbean employee, I'd be interested in trying Cunard!

That is a GROUP rate! Cunard does not offer group space on 4 night "taster" cruises. However, early and late season transatlantics do have group price points in the $1000pp range with favorable GAP.

And since you worked in FIT and groups, you know that holiday sailings often times have very few, if any GAP. It's the GAP which gives the amenities.

The biggest bang for groups comes once the group size is over 50 first and second passengers. But if the GAP aren't there, it is a moot point.

Not trying to start an argument about prices but, I know, speaking for my family, we'd rather skip a year (2008) and have a more memorable cruise on Cunard for the holidays in 2009. I still think it's worth trying to form a group.

Suppose it were two transatlantics with a Caribbean cruise sandwiched in the middle?:)

I'd not be interested in the Caribbean bit. And three weeks over Christmas is too much.

Quite apart from anything else, if there is a WCC meeting on a QE2 transatlantic that would take priority.

Let's face it.

QE2 transatlantic is top bill.

Matthew

I find myself agreeing with CCers from the more ancient shore of the Atlantic; I'm not interested in tourist islands at Christmas and flying is worst way to get to a ship. Why not back-to-back-to-back crossings so that everyone departs and returns from either New York or Southampton without having to board one of those airthingees? And everyone gets to argue with everyone else during the middle leg.

The best of all worlds (perhaps available only in the next world) would be back-to-back-to-back on the three different ships.

Paul

Yes, a holiday cruise in '09 would be great. It will be interesting to see how the ship itineraries work out. Remember by the end of '09 there will be 64,582 more berths out there competing for your money. Some lines might be retiring ships but I doubt that it would be significant. Therefore I would anticipate prices coming down, unless the world's economy really heats up.

Matthew,

QE2 is top bill for the right side of the ponders. Not for the left side of the ponders!

I ought it odd that Cunard would introduce the Vicky with a cold weather port itinerary, but hey! I'm sure it will sell!

Depending on length and price, it is conceivable. I hate to give up my own commisiion, (piddly though it may be- I just consider it my discount or rebate!) but if the group rate is better than what my single cabin booking would be, and is do-able for me, it is possible. The problem for me with Cunard is they tend to encompass both holidays, which makes it rather dear, both in terms of time and money.

We have done the Christmas cruise onthe Westerdam. We loved it and got a Deluxe Verandah Sutie for that one which was marvelous!

Karie,

count me as a 40% possible.

Archived