My Lucky 13th Cruise on Paradise....

Sirwinston

:) I just wanted to post a review of PARADISE cruise on 04/09/07. This was my 13th cruise, 2nd on Carnival.

We had a great time. We used early check in on the QUEEN MARY. Then we went out for a bit to return @ 11:30. Local Security told us we could not carry two large bags that did fit the 17 x 24 rule. ( according to Carnival it is O.K. to carry any bag that is 17 x 24, length does not matter.) But no problem once inside the terminal. I think securtiy may be doing this to help the porters make money.:confused: Also we had no problem bringing on board 3 bottles of wine.

We boarded with our luggage and found a quiet spot on deck until the room was ready @ 1:30. I went down to try and get time and size of table switched @ 1:00 p.m. at the Elation dinning room. The Maitre d' Presler took down my name for a wait list. He refused a tip for his efforts told me to return @ 3:00 to find out what he could do.

We then went to our room,a lovley cat 12. I think I have spoiled my spouse for life with this move.All of the pre arranged "gifts" were there ready and waiting with lovely Birthday decorations. We quickly unpacked and just enjoyed the room. If you can swing it I highly recomend this grade of room. They sell out so I suggest booking in advance. (you can always cancel 60 days out with no penalty). lovely marble, real wood, nice balcony, huge counter with mirror, jacuzzi tub, real size bathroom.

When I went by the Maitre d' I recieved a card telling me my time had been switched but the table was to be announced. I have travelled on more expensive ships but I must say Carnival is very well orgainized and I found most of the crew (except one sales girl) to be very helpful and friendly. The boat drill was very smooth and fast, even though you walk from the muster station to the boat.

Our steward Patrick was excellent and took only minutes to bring ice for Bon Voyage champange. Also the pre-ordered canapes were very gourmet. We had a very nice sail away and I called and waived to my friends who work with me @ Sir Winstons on the QUEEN MARY. I am not rich but this cruise was a special splurg for my 44th B-day. Also a suite on Carnival cost what an inside room cost on some cruise lines :rolleyes: .

We then went to dinner. To my delight the maitre d' was able to get us the table for 3 (#124)we wanted. In all honesty, because I work as a fine dinning waiter, making conversaition with table mates feels too much like what I do every day for a living. I highy recomend that you board early if you want that special table. I did remember $ the Maitre d' at the end of the cruise.

The food in the dinnig room and our waiters Attila and Hillgillard (sp?) were excellent. food much better than the HOLIDAY cruise I took in 1995. My companion said it was at least as good as QM2 Britannia and I agree. :)

We took the Catalina Kayak Expedition shore excursion which I had prebooked. I prebooked and prepaid almost everything for this cruise, even drink tickets, and on board credit. All of which either arrived in the cabin or dinning room table as planned. This was an experiment to pre pay the true cost of a cruise not just the cabin fare. The shore excursion was excellent , we got to see the natural side of the island. Our guide Thomas was very helpful and you learn a lot about the shore We saw Bald Eagles. The tender ride back was fun. Also done by local company. A special thanks to Mother Nature for good weather on Catalina and Ensenda.

We had prebooked a tour in Ensenda that was cancelled due to low bookings. Once again with no hassles that appeared as a credit to my sail and sign account. Instead we went with a local tour operator and ended up doing the horseback riding on the beach which also turned out very well. I believe it was with Los Dunas tours which also does cheap clean shuttles into town. Ensenada sure has improved since my first visit in 1979.

We only ate dinner in the Elation resturant. All of our room service breakfasts were delivered on time and complete @ 8:00 a.m. as requested using the card in the stateroom.

My 11 year old boy loved camp carnival. We let him do the late night party. The staff brings them back to the cabin @ 3:00 a.m. :) He also enjoyed one dinner with the youth staff. He did not want to leave when I picked him up the last night of the cruise.

There were about 1000 people under 18 on this spring break cruise. I think my splurging on the room helped us to have a nice quiet place to hang out. But I did not see any drunk in public behavior. Also even though the kids took over the pool areas I did not see any really bad behavior.

The one show we saw was very fun and high energy.

We did have one day of rough weather on our "fun day at sea" There was a whipping cold wind that made laying out by the pool no fun. Also we were a rocking and a rolling. The Information desk was happy to give out seasick meds for my spouse. My son and myself are good sailors and I sort of enjoy the "ride". The mom of a friend my kid had made was happy to hang by the pool with them. For me it was an nice indoor day. Also my one lunch at the PARIS resturant this day was very good.

The ship itself was very well maintained and has many very nice touches like mosiac tile and art glass . Also lovely well maintianed teak deck and rail everywhere. No ugly green or blue decking material.(like R.C.I) The workmanship is very nice while a bit "Vegas".

A pleasant surprise was the refund check (for unused O.B.C) the last morning of the cruise. Once again like clock work.

We decided to let Carnival off load our luggage. Once again no problems and we were in our car by 9:00 a.m.

Cruising Carnival from Long Beach was great cruise. I look forward to going on the CARNIVAL PRIDE in the near futre, but most likely in a cat 8. It is easy to understand why Carnival is the worlds leading cruise line.

Thank you for the report on the paradise. You dont hear about that ship very often. We cruise on her May 14 and I have a question. Was your cabin at the front of the ship and if it was, how was the ride in the room and was it windy being so close to the front. We are in V5 . Cant wait and very excited to boad the ship. Thank you again.

Archived