Does service suffer at a table for two?

noblepa

Thank you all so much for your excellent feedback on this. DH and I have decided that we will try to change our original choice to a table for 2, rather than the bigger one. You have been so helpful and I think that we will be glad that we have changed it. Thanks!

Have been reading this thread with great interest as we are first time cruisers this August on Rotterdam. When I read about the person with hearing problems choosing a table for 2, I shared it with my husband who is also hard of hearing, esp in a crowded noisy room. His question was" If we have to wait at a table of 8 for everyone to arrive, what happens when some of your table mates don't arrive at all for a meal? Do we sit there a long time waiting before being served?"

Also, do you feel isolated and missing out on fun etc if you have a table for 2?

I have a severe hearing loss that a $6,000 pair of hearing aids can't compensate for in a noisy area. I have wonderful conversations with one or two people, but beyond that, I'm at a loss. What has happened often in similar situations is that some people in the group are uncomfortable in not being able to talk to me across a big table, and I'm frustrated at not being able to hear most of the conversation going on. A table for two solves those problems.

Whether you feel isolated is really an individual situation. I don't, but I can imagine many others might.

It has never occured to me to request a table for two, maybe because I rarely cruise with my DH, My usual cruising buddy is very outgoing and enjoys meeting new people, whether in the dining room or the Lido. When I traveled with my mother, years back, we were also at tables for six or eight.

Guess I was surprised to hear from so many 2tops. Are these mostly couples, rather than friends traveling together? Do singles ever request tables for one? Or are singles automatically grouped together? Have been at tables with threesomes, but don't recall ever being at a table where there was a single. Just curious, I guess.

Yes, Sundagger, that is exactly how my husband feels in a noisy situation. He can appear to be either rude or arrogant because he doesn't reply to conversation he can't hear. If he wore a hearing aid perhaps people would understand but his condition is what is called " cocktail party syndrome" and hearing aids would only make it worse. And as he is in his 50's, people don't automatically assume age related deafness.

Oh well, I am so pleased to have heard from so many of you about the table for 2 and have put in a request for it with my TA. She says it is not a guarantee that we will get it but I am hopeful as we are not sailing until August.

Thanks again to you all for your thoughts on this.

We always enjoy at table for 2 and never feel that we are missing anything. My husband and I both work 60 hours+ a week and hardly ever see each other. We have been married 13 years and still actually enjoy each other!!:)

Everyone is different, I personally think it is sad that a married couple cannot enjoy dinner just the 2 of them . We have often seen couples in a restaurant eating together and not talking at all, just staring into space. We have always vowed not to be "that" couple.

Vacation is a time for us to relax and reconnect. We socialize enough in the lounges and at home. Our cruises are special and just for us!

That is why we like cruising, there is something for everyone!

Yes, Sundagger, that is exactly how my husband feels in a noisy situation. He can appear to be either rude or arrogant because he doesn't reply to conversation he can't hear. If he wore a hearing aid perhaps people would understand but his condition is what is called " cocktail party syndrome" and hearing aids would only make it worse. And as he is in his 50's, people don't automatically assume age related deafness.

Have him speak to a competent audiologist. Today's hearing aids not only increase the ability to discriminate but also feature multiple "programs" to focus unidirectional microphones, specifically designed for restaurant (and similar) environments.

Do singles ever request tables for one? Or are singles automatically grouped together?

Singles aren't necessarily grouped only with other singles; they request a table size and are placed as best the maitre d' can.

And I have known of a single or two who request a table alone. The person might be placed at a table for two or four, then invites various others to the table as guests for an evening.

We have never felt "out of it" at a table for two. When we eat in the dinning room for lunch or breakfast we sometimes get a table for four and visit but not always. We have had very nice conversations with another couple at a twotop next to us but never felt obligated to visit if we weren't in the mood. Traveling with my cousin last year we sat at a table for eight. Two ladies were always there when we arrived and were sipping their cocktail. The second couple sat down later, three out of the seven days, and the fourth couple never appeared. We all learned to order individually and not wait until the table was full. The service there was not as attentive as we have received at a table for two. In this case the waiter devoted most of his attention to the full tables of eight. More opportunity for an additional tip perhaps?

Have him speak to a competent audiologist. Today's hearing aids not only increase the ability to discriminate but also feature multiple "programs" to focus unidirectional microphones, specifically designed for restaurant (and similar) environments.

Thanks for that suggestion. It has been years since DH saw an audiologist so it is time and as you say, things have improved so much. It would be wonderful for him if he could find something to help him in social situations. I sure appreciate your help!

Archived