Ship time vs local time

croozchick

I am planning a 10-day Mexican Riviera cruise on msRyndam this December. Are the departure and arrival times that are listed on the itinerary actual local time in each port city? I would like to book some independent shore excursions, but have been warned to pay attention to time zone changes, because ship time is not changed to local time when crossing time zones. I don't want to make a mistake and miss an excursion. :confused:

Thanks,

CC

msRyndam Dec 2007 -- 10-Day Mexican Riviera

Star Princess Dec 2006 -- Western Carribean

Diamond Princess June 2006 -- Alaska Inside Passage

because ship time is not changed to local time when crossing time zones.
I'm not positive about the Mex Riviera cruise, but I've never been on a HAL cruise where the ship time did not change as we crossed time zones, and consequently we were always on local time when in port.

HAL almost always adjusts the ship's clock to the local time. It's only RCCL (I think) that feels it's passenger's aren't able to cope with a changing clock! :rolleyes:

It's been our experience that any local tour organization you book with will be well-aware of the ship's docking & sailing times.

It does change and those are local times of arrival/departure on your documents. On the 7 day Oosterdam itinerary, the clocks move forward an hour the first sea day to match Cabo San Lucas and Mazatlan time. Puerto Vallarta is actually an hour ahead of the other 2 cities but the ship itself doesn't change time again so that we had to be aware of local time vs. ship time in that particular port. Since you'd be hitting that 2 hour time change first, I'd assume the ship time would move ahead by that during your first 2 sea days then ratchet back by an hour once you leave PV.

It does change and those are local times of arrival/departure on your documents. On the 7 day Oosterdam itinerary, the clocks move forward an hour the first sea day to match Cabo San Lucas and Mazatlan time. Puerto Vallarta is actually an hour ahead of the other 2 cities but the ship itself doesn't change time again so that we had to be aware of local time vs. ship time in that particular port. Since you'd be hitting that 2 hour time change first, I'd assume the ship time would move ahead by that during your first 2 sea days then ratchet back by an hour once you leave PV.

This is the one and only exception I am aware of as it relates to HAL.

Also be aware that when we change our clocks, some of the islands in the Caribbean do not observe DST and this creates some confusion, depending upon the time of year.

and for everybody who is coming from ,for example ,Europe,take care that the ships are using the 12 hour system. When we were on the Noordam ,the 21 march,we lost our table mates (from Sweden) because in Puerto Rico, they read "0.30 ,everybody on board".They didn't noticed the pm, so they were out till late in the evening, because they thought the ship would leave by night.Very sad!:eek:

burny

We have done several Mexican cruises as well as several repositioning cruises that included some of the ports that you will stop at. A couple of times the ship's clock were not changed to co-incide with the local clocks. You won't know this until the night before. It's rare, but it does happen.

Archived