Help please re: Vancouver

My family is sailing to Alaska on Serenade on June 23rd to celebrate my son's high school graduation and my mother's 80th birthday. Money is really tight, especially with college looming. I need help with accommodations in Vancouver. We will be there on Friday the 22nd, the night before we sail, and again from June 30th through July 3rd so we can see Vancouver which is so far from our home in NJ. I am looking for a hotel that is nice enough but not top drawer. We'd like to spend under $150 American per night if we can. We do not have a sense of the city so we don't know if any areas are not safe. I have looked at some sites online with comments from people who have stayed different places but the opinions vary greatly. I also don't know what is near what. I am also looking for information about sights to see and transportation to and from the airport and dock. Any information would be appreciated. Hotels seem to be booking up already.

The only place I ever stay when I go to Vancouver (which is once a year) is the Pacific Palisades Hotel on Robson Street. It might be more than $150 a night, but the rooms are all suite and very large with kitchenettes. Were you planning on getting more than one room? If so, you might all fit into one room at this hotel. We love it there. Right on Robson street with shopping and restaurants. And not that you would want to, but you could walk to the port. It would be a 3 minute cab ride.

I don't know if you've seen this: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=413

Scroll through to find some information about Vancouver. I think that for under $150 US you would want to try Priceline. I haven't used it, but I think you can specify the area of the city you like (waterfront, Stanley Park, Yaletown or Robson Street are all nice, safe neighborhoods) and the number of ** for the hotel.

We love the Westin Bayshore and the Westin Grand, but we redeem frequent guest points to stay there, so I honestly don't know the going rate. All of the major chains have properties there, and there are some small boutique hotels that might fit your budget.

Vancouver is a fabulous city with lots to see without doing a lot of damage to your wallet. Stanley Park is gorgeous, although it sustained quite a bit of damage in recent storms. There's a nice small aquarium inside the park. There's a hop on-hop off bus that can take you around the park for a small amount. Robson Street is a boutique shopper's paradise, Yaletown is an up & coming neighborhood, Gastown has some neat historical stuff, including Storyeum, a politically correct re-enactment of the history of BC. Granville Island is an artists' community, Grouse Mountain & the Capilano Suspension Bridge are supposed to be fun (never done them), goodness, I could carry on for awhile!

There are tons of great eateries, too.

You'll have a wonderful time!

I don't know if you've seen this: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=413

Scroll through to find some information about Vancouver. I think that for under $150 US you would want to try Priceline. I haven't used it, but I think you can specify the area of the city you like (waterfront, Stanley Park, Yaletown or Robson Street are all nice, safe neighborhoods) and the number of ** for the hotel.

We love the Westin Bayshore and the Westin Grand, but we redeem frequent guest points to stay there, so I honestly don't know the going rate. All of the major chains have properties there, and there are some small boutique hotels that might fit your budget.

Vancouver is a fabulous city with lots to see without doing a lot of damage to your wallet. Stanley Park is gorgeous, although it sustained quite a bit of damage in recent storms. There's a nice small aquarium inside the park. There's a hop on-hop off bus that can take you around the park for a small amount. Robson Street is a boutique shopper's paradise, Yaletown is an up & coming neighborhood, Gastown has some neat historical stuff, including Storyeum, a politically correct re-enactment of the history of BC. Granville Island is an artists' community, Grouse Mountain & the Capilano Suspension Bridge are supposed to be fun (never done them), goodness, I could carry on for awhile!

Sounds like you like Vancouver as much as we do. We tend to go at least once a year. Don't forget that Granville Island is also a WONDERFUL Farmers Market. We have done Grouse Mountain and the bridge. Both fun, but only need to do them once. lol. Vancouver has to be one of my favorite cities. I could go on and on forever too.

We stayed at the Sutton Place (4*), on Burrard, for less than $150/night. Then we talked to another cruiser who got the Pan Pacific (which is at Canada Place) for less than $100, through PriceLine. That was a steal. I agree with Jean (critterchick) - PriceLine is the way to go.

Have fun! Vancouver is a great city! ~ LL

We stayed in Vancouver at The Metropolitan. It's been a couple of years, but I remember being pleased. Can't recall the price. It was within walking distance of Gastown and Robson Street, the two main tourist areas. We actually walked to the pier from there, but we are in decent shape and our luggage has wheels.

I have to say because I never stay in a hotel in Vancouver, I couldn't tell you which ones to stay in!:rolleyes: I do have to agree to look at hotel reviews, CC reviews, and try Priceline. A lot of people recommend the Hampton Inn and Suites. Do not stay east of Howe St., I would say. Granville St. can be just crazy with partiers at night, and further east is a bit dicey. I was at an event Saturday night at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, but I KNOW that would be way more than $150, LOL!

Storyeum went out of business, sorry to say, Jean. That happened several months ago.

Will you have a car to get around in? I live in North Vancouver, so highly recommend the Capilano Suspension Bridge (would love to get you on that, Jean:p ) and Grouse Mountain. Stanley Park is a must, although you can no longer walk around the entire seawall. There were horrific wind storms this past winter, toppling trees out by Prospect Point, and a landslide recently has made them close part of the wall until they stabilize the slope.

Please feel free to ask anymore questions!:) West Vancouver's Ambleside Beach area is a great place to spend an afternoon, and the cruise ships all sail by there on their way to Alaska. Great pics can be had of the ship, the Lions Gate Bridge, Stanley Park, and the city.:cool:

Priceline can be a great way to go, but please keep in mind that you are ONLY guaranteed a room to accommodate 2 people. If you need to be certain that you will get a room with 2 double or 2 queen beds for 3 or 4 people, then Priceline is NOT the way to go. Yes, some hotels will try to accommodate your request, but you have to be willing to live with just one bed if that's what you're assigned.

I am using Marriott Rewards points to stay at the Residence Inn in downtown Vancouver this September. The one suite will be perfect for the 3 of us.

Good luck,

Susan

Although we've enjoyed the Westins in Vancouver, we stayed at the Listel Hotel the last visit, and really enjoyed it! Nice big rooms, pleasant place.

What dock are you leaving from? Canada Place is really close in and is lovely. Ballantyne Pier, however, isn't so pretty, and it much further out. It's in the container ship area. That's where our honeymoon cruise on Radiance started.

Things to do...the Aquarium there is good, but it's a bit spendy. Granville Island is wonderful, lots of shopping and things to window-shop for, and a nice big market with prepared food, ingredient-food (does that make sense?), and stuff. :)

We just took taxis or transit around, but we never came from the airport (we take Amtrak up), so I don't know the options for that.

Have fun!

I reflect pretty much all that dirtgirl has to say. I tend to work with the more affluent hotels in the city, and I can guarantee their rate per night is more than your budget, but great deals are out there on Hotwire and Priceline.

I know Lorna did get a screaming deal at the Sutton - it's a five star hotel in the city as well.

If you do meander into the Aquarium, watch this...so cute

(i've just posted it on three other threads!)

Michelle, that has to be one of the cutest things I've ever seen!:)

The Serenade sails from Ballantyne Pier, so you definitely DON'T want to stay near there - not that there is anywhere near there to stay. Do not stay in East Vancouver. We are sailing from here too in August - I wish RCI had Canada Place!

Michelle, that was beyond cute!

You know, an alternative to hotels for your post-cruise stay would be a B&B. The first time we stayed in Vancouver, we stayed at a B&B called the Pennyfarthing Inn. It's in the Kitsilano district, so south of the main part of the city, but it was very easy to get around from there - we mainly took the bus, with an occasional cab. Here's a link to the website: http://www.pennyfarthinginn.com/

We stayed in the Abigail room, which is on the top floor with a private bath. The two rooms that share a fridge might work for you (remember prices are shown in Canadian).

The place had a shabby old English feel, and there are several house cats and a dog (no dog when we were there, and yes, that's why we randomly picked it out of dozens available). The cats are not allowed in the guest rooms (although guests do try , and the website does say that they've only had one incident with allergies, so you should be safe if that's something to worry about.

The breakfast in the morning is to die for - full egg or pancake, usually with a gourmet twist. The best way to describe Lyn, the innkeeper, is Basil Fawlty in drag (she's quite a bit nicer, actually, but has a few eccentricities, as we all do).

Depending on how able your mother is, you can get up to 4th Street or down to ____ (can't remember name, it's the main drag out to the University, as I recall, Carol, HELP!) to catch the busses, which are clean, prompt and safe.

There I go again, on and on....

Great suggestion Jean - Kitsalano is a very local and safe area. Close to the beach - and there is some great dining there too.

4th will get you to the University, or you can go down to Cornwall that runs all the way along the beach. Not as touristy as the seawall (which is in rough shape right now, and slated for August before it will be even near repair).

If you do meander into the Aquarium, watch this...so cute

OMG! I wonder if that is the same 2 otters we saw doing the exact same thing when we went to the Vancouver Aquarium a couple of years ago! Maybe it's a daily show they put on. :D

To the OP: Sorry, can't help with your request. We have stayed at the Granville Island Hotel twice and loved it. Used the Grayline hop on-hop off bus for transportation around Vancouver. It might depend on the time of year but I don't think you can get a room there for $150US.

Good luck. You've had lots of great suggestions. I know there are a couple of Best Westerns which is what we like if we use a "chain" so you might check those out.

We stayed at a Sheraton downtown when we went on our Alaska cruise. I cannot think of the name of it right now but it was not far from the port. it was a cheap and short cab ride. It was in a very safe area and when I was looking for hotels, I was watching for this one to have specials, they always seem to

Great suggestion Jean - Kitsalano is a very local and safe area. Close to the beach - and there is some great dining there too.

4th will get you to the University, or you can go down to Cornwall that runs all the way along the beach. Not as touristy as the seawall (which is in rough shape right now, and slated for August before it will be even near repair).

And possibly the best of the restaurants we've eaten at in Vancouver (which is loaded with great eateries) is Quattro on Fourth (don't know if it's still around), right around the corner from the Inn!

Yes, Quattro on Fourth is still there. I pass it on my way home from work, and have wanted to try it.;) It is a bit of a hike from home, though.

The other road that goes out to UBC is 10th. Cornwall becomes Point Grey Road, then you have to turn south to get to 4th. I've been driving that route for YEARS!:D UBC also has the Museum of Anthropology, and the Chan Centre for the Performing Arts. There is also a nude beach out here, if you are into that kind of thing. ;) I've been out here since the early 1980's, but have never been down there!

When we were in Vancouver last spring, we did the trolley tour which gives you a good view of the sites. You can get off anywhere you want to stop and then rejoin the tour for the rest of the circuit. The site that most impressed me was the Dr. Sun Yat Sen Memorial Garden. This is a Chinese scholar's garden from, I believe, the Han Dynasty. The tour also runs through Stanley Park and Granville Island.

My general rule for a good, reasonable meal in Canada go to an ethnic restaurant. We had dinner one night at Han's House of Noodles (that's the name:) ) with one of the best Chinese meals we ever had for less than $20 CDN for two. That restaurant is on Robson St. There are a lot of other restaurants along Robson as well.

Enjoy your trip!

We've stayed at the Westin Grand and got it for around $150 Cdn. The rooms are tight once you put the sofa bed out, but you do have a big bathroom, tiny balcony, and a separate bedroom and living area.

Viv

If this gives you any help at all, I won the Vancouver Marriott Pinnacle on Priceline last year for $82/night US for my inlaws. They had it for two nights and the total with taxes was $191.16 for both nights. I have seen reported as low as $70 plus taxes on Priceline. The Vancouver Hyatt Regency was recently reported at $75 for the night of 04/14/07.

Check out betterbidding.com if you want to try bidding for it on Priceline.

The only wrinkle for your reservation is that on your return trip it falls over our July 1st holiday. You might pay a premium then.

You all are the greatest! Knowing about the neighborhoods really helps. I have no concept of how big Vancouver is. Do I need to rent a car? And I just realized that the day after we get off the ship is Canada Day. Does this give you any other ideas? I hope I didn't plan to stay too many days, especially with an 18 year old boy in tow.

Sailing to Alaska and have booked the Sylvia hotel, older hotel apparently overlooking the bay and 5 minutes from Canada Place.Rates are very reasonable. Check them out.

The Sylvia is an old Vancouver favourite and has good access to Granville Island and downtown, as well as the beach. When I was at university, it was where the moms would always stay when they came into town for the weekend.

Viv

Archived