Cruise price reduction

kat9661

My October Hawaii sailing went down by $400.00 per person and after calling my travel agent to adjust my price I was given a $368.00 per person deduction. My price through this agency was already $200.00 per person lower than the advertised price on Celebrity so I'm getting what I feel is a good deal so didn't question her about it. I'm not going to complain but wonder if my deduction should have been for the full dollar amount?

The difference may be in the commision. Also, I am surprised you got a lower price originally from the TA. I understood no one could discount their cruises?? :confused:

in UK TA discount Celebrity Cruises from their own commision when asked

David

Maybe the original price wasn't a discount, but the TA had booked the cabins when the price was lower, thereby able to offer the lower price after they went up.

I would definitly ask your agent about the difference. They've already got their commision and such, I don't see why it wouldn't reflect the whole amount.

We had this happen a couple years ago. We were told by the TA that they would reduce the price but not their commission. When we got our credit card statement they actually gave us the full amount. The price went down a second time and they never mentioned the commission, just gave us the full amount. Keep watching the prices as you may get another discount. Lucky you! :D

I understood no one could discount their cruises?? :confused:

That was my understanding as well ... but it seems to depend on your TA. Some offer a reduced price and others don't. On a recent booking that I made it worked out to approx. 5%.

I'm not going to complain but wonder if my deduction should have been for the full dollar amount?

Since your refund was 8% less than the $400 fare reduction, it sounds like the $200 discount was based on a percentage of the originally published rates. If that was the case, when the fare dropped, the refund would also be calculated based on the revised price, less the % discount.

e.g. if the originally published fare was $2500., then your discount of $200. was 8%.

If the fare dropped to $2100, the revised discount, based on 8%, would be $168., which is where the $32. came off of the $400. refund. Just a guess though.

Celebrity doesn't allow discounting in the US or UK.

They do allow discounting in the UK and indeed even take part in Cruise Evenings at TAs where discounting is part of the event. Every cruise we have been on is discounted

They do allow discounting in the UK and indeed even take part in Cruise Evenings at TAs where discounting is part of the event. Every cruise we have been on is discounted

Up to now I have been discounted on 4 cruises. To the price which is quoted on Celebrity Internet site

Also we get invited to cruise events at the Travel Agents

David

Mary Lou-

You are certainly welcome, glad you could get the refund too. I was shocked when I saw how much the price was reduced. We booked a year in advance, last October, and I watch the prices daily and this is not only the first reduction but a big one! We are really looking forward to this sailing, our first trip to Hawaii.

To those questioning pricing lower than what the cruise line offers:

I've used an online agent for the past 10 years and always get a lower fare than what's offered by the cruise line. It is my understanding that travel agencies are not allowed to publish a lower fare than the cruise line. I'll typically book through the cruise line web site to get my desired cabin and switch the booking to my agent at a later date.

Archived