If you always wanted to know what a crew cabin looks like...

ohioNCLcruiser

Maybe you are the best one to ask. Some people say that crew members like to receive phone cards and chocolate bars etc. along with thier tips of course. What do you say? What do crew members like to receive along with their tips, or over and above their regular tips?:confused:

That's a suite compared to what I had in the navy onboard a submarine:)

Michael

Hagerstown, MD

Having been on a conventional sub (just to tour, not to live), and having done a circumnavigation on a 65' racing yacht- I would take the submarine. :D

And the cruise crew quarters would be to die for. That crew cabin was a tad bigger than on the sailboat, and we were 5 sharing it.

Maybe you are the best one to ask. Some people say that crew members like to receive phone cards and chocolate bars etc. along with thier tips of course. What do you say? What do crew members like to receive along with their tips, or over and above their regular tips?:confused:

stuff like that made my day. This one passenger was on the America and was part of a group that did a walking tour everywhere they went, then got pins from there to trade with people and she gave me one of her pins..she said its something small and meaningless prob..but I still have it. Stuff like that can make a stressful day just a little bit better. Most people have cell phones so I'm not sure about cards but small things like that are GREAT!

• Like 1

Well, so much for that poster from a few months ago that was trying to tell everyone that the crew slept 8 to a cabin. :rolleyes:

Truthfully, that cabin is bigger than the 2 bunker I had on the Manitou - as a guest.

Teri

Well, so much for that poster from a few months ago that was trying to tell everyone that the crew slept 8 to a cabin. :rolleyes:

Truthfully, that cabin is bigger than the 2 bunker I had on the Manitou - as a guest.

Teri

some cabins have 4 people, but the rooms are larger then this.

LOL...there are also better cabins for crew then Ohiocruiser has shown on here. It depends to your status and rank! There are ships where you even share by 9 a cabin and bathrooms are shared by over 100 people...just think about that! NCL has very good Crew Cabins!

Then I have been on the Wind/Dream Class ships where there are Officers Cabins bigger then the best suite for the Guests.

LOL...I would have accepted not to upset the Guest, but to be honest the crew can buy themselfes everything in the crew bar or on land. It is not the Dschungle in Africa! Everybody works for money and nothing else!

LOL...there are also better cabins for crew then Ohiocruiser has shown on here. It depends to your status and rank! There are ships where you even share by 9 a cabin and bathrooms are shared by over 100 people...just think about that! NCL has very good Crew Cabins!

Then I have been on the Wind/Dream Class ships where there are Officers Cabins bigger then the best suite for the Guests.

Are you talking about the SS Norway or a non NCL ship? That would be horrible.

Yeah, in poll after poll, the crew says "Money!" when asked what they want most as a gratuity. I figure a tip is supposed to please the person I'm tipping, not gratify ME, so instead of giving them a tip plus a chocolate bar or a phone card, I give them a bigger tip!

I remember a post from an old guy on another cruise board who hated autotipping because he wanted "to see the looks of gratitude on the faces of the staff" when he deigned to present them with cash. Now that was one sick guy.

• Like 1

It was the Norwegian Sea!!! But somehow we all loved that ship! We had the best time on there and it was the best crew...I just wished you could get once that crew being together like we had on her!

By the way is crazy Scott Hamby the HD of the POA???

It was the Norwegian Sea!!! But somehow we all loved that ship! We had the best time on there and it was the best crew...I just wished you could get once that crew being together like we had on her!

By the way is crazy Scott Hamby the HD of the POA???

ah the sea. Yeah looking at pics of old ships crew cabins Im glad I didn't work on one then. What ships have you worked on?

NCL Majesty, NCL Sea, NCL Dream, NCL Wind, NCL Sky, NCL Sun, NCL Star/Dawn, Celebrity Mercury, Cunard QE2, Cunard QM2, Holland America's Ryndam...hope I didn't forgett one...:)!!!

cool..how were the cabins on the qm2? Over what line was best and what one didnt you like?

NCL Majesty, NCL Sea, NCL Dream, NCL Wind, NCL Sky, NCL Sun, NCL Star/Dawn, Celebrity Mercury, Cunard QE2, Cunard QM2, Holland America's Ryndam...hope I didn't forgett one...:)!!!

When were you on the Majesty?

with regards to the cabin discussion, my experience as an officer is that the officers cabins are bigger in the older ships. This goes for cargo ships/tankers as well.

The crew cabins on the Norway was 3 or four bunks with thei bathrooms in the corridor.

The cabin i had on the Norway as a 1st officer jr was much bigger than the one I had as 1st officer on the Majesty.

The crew quarters on cargo ships are by far better than on cruise ships as every one has their own cabin.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
That's a suite compared to what I had in the navy onboard a submarine:)

Michael

Hagerstown, MD

I've never served, but I was thinking the same thing based on my tours of a sub and aircraft carrier. I was blown away by our standard balcony cabin with full private bathroom on our first cruise.