If you always wanted to know what a crew cabin looks like...

ohioNCLcruiser

Old post I know but I don't think DS ever had more than 1 room mate back when he had to share. He hasn't shared in many years but he's had some small rooms to himself also. He's also had passenger rooms to himself. It all depends on what ship you are on and your rank or position.

We booked a nice cabin on RC Song of America to Bermuda back in 1996. Friends booked the cabin next door. My sister in Arizona was interested in coming. She worked for an airline, so air fare wasn't a problem. Our friend was ship's doctor, and he phoned us from Bermuda to say the ship had room is my sister wanted to chance it and fly east. Well, she did, only to find out the morning the ship sailed that there were no more free cabins. Since we were all at the pier, the only choice was to ask if someone with a cabin that sleeps 3 was willing to switch with our cabin that slept 2. The check-in desk somehow sent around the query, and only response was from a couple who would gladly switch. We had a high deck cabin; they had one on deck 4. Were they happy! We were fine with our new cabin, until the ship sailed. After sail-away, went down and found we were directly over the engines!!!! The room rattled so much, a crew member had to stuff pillows around the TV so it wouldn't move. Between the noise and vibrations, couldn't sleep at all. Next day, we insisted someone come to check, and chief engineer came. Said there was nothing he could do. I said I wouldn't put a dog in that cabin. He said the crew slept in similar situations, and they got used to it! Worst experience I ever had but at least I was getting off in a week. Poor crew.

Funny about the size. I don't think its really that small.

Somewhere around 1994-1996 we sailed in an inside cabin on a 2 night cruise to nowhere from NY on a Premier ship and I am pretty sure that it was smaller than that.

We each had a narrow "bunk" on either side of the cabin and the door was vented (as in not at all sound proof.)

We still had a great time, met some nice people and had some very good food.

We have moved up a bit since then but still agree that we just want to cruise. Ocean view and balcony cabins are nice but if we find an itinerary and date that we really want we will easily select an inside stateroom if it means we can cruise more times for less $.

Happy cruising to all!

We were on the Star a couple of weeks ago, and our waiter told us, she was in a room for 5...YIKES...talk about cramped....

My first cruise was a transatlantic with my dad. Our cabin had bunkbeds and was shared by strangers. Steerage, I guess. I was five, so it was all fun

My first TA there were 4 of us who had toured Europe for the summer.In order to get our VW back with us we booked two cabins on a freighter that had 6 cabins for 12 pax. They were the biggest cabins I have stayed in on a ship.

• 6 years later...
1 hour ago, seaqn1 said:

I know this is an old thread.. 

But would just like to know what is the cabins like Norwegian Getaway for crew?

I am joining there next year as a cook

That would depend on your actual job title.  As a "cook", if I remember correctly, you will have a cabin not much larger than the one posted by the OP, but with a possible 4th bunk.  I can't remember all the titles up the ladder in the galley, but I think that some of the supervisory cooks will get a 2 person cabin, and the chef tournants get singles (shared toilet and shower with the adjoining single), and not until you get to the head chef and above positions do you get a true single.

Good luck.  Where are you from?  Have you talked to people who have worked as galley staff on cruise ships?

• Like 1

On 4/17/2007 at 10:36 AM, mikedw said:

That's a suite compared to what I had in the navy onboard a submarine:)

Michael

Hagerstown, MD

Thank you for your service ❤️ My son was in the Navy....Go Navy. And I LOVE those uniforms

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Alegeeter said:

I was led to believe that all crew on the Away and Away+ ships have their own cabin with a shared bathroom between two.

Each cabin is significantly smaller than the pictures above but at least there is privacy!

Me too although I didn't ask the person who told me that on BA if that was for ALL employees.

1 hour ago, Alegeeter said:

I was led to believe that all crew on the Away and Away+ ships have their own cabin with a shared bathroom between two.

Each cabin is significantly smaller than the pictures above but at least there is privacy!

1 hour ago, dexddd said:

Me too although I didn't ask the person who told me that on BA if that was for ALL employees.

I've heard that before as well, but I'd be real interested in how they squeezed all those singles into the ship.  Most ships, the small singles (about 8' x 6' ) are for first line supervisors, and they almost universally hate the shared toilet/shower, because if the person in the other cabin leaves the door to the toilet/shower locked, and then goes on shift, there is no way for you to get into the toilet/shower, without finding a supervisor to unlock the other cabin's door.  It also doubles the number of toilets in crew areas, so that becomes a cost/maintenance issue as well.