4 Day Sale for Charters

hammybee

I just received an email informing me of a 4 day sale for the chartered 1/26 Zuiderdam and 5/30 Westerdam sails for new bookings.

I do not recall seeing this kind of promotion in the past. Clearly the supply of cabins for these far off chartered cruises exceeds the demand, thus the sale.

Makes me wonder how charters react when it becomes necessary to reduce the price well before final payment date.

I don't understand. If the ships are chartered, who is offering the four day special? The 'entity' which has chartered the ship or HAL?

If HAL, how can they be selling cabins if the ship has been chartered?

I'm sure I'm missing something here.

Does the e-mail tell you who chartered? Would be nice to know if you are going to be sailing with an almost full ship from what sort of group?

You really got my curiosity going so I looked for both cruises. I couldn't even find the cruises listed. Do you think it is a ploy to get you to call who ever sent the e-mail so they can tell you "I'm sorry those cruises are sold out. Can I interest you in a similar one doing the same itinerary?" Or do you think who ever chartered the ship needs to sell off some cabins? Or I guess it could just be a misprint :) Let us know what you find out.

I just received an email informing me of a 4 day sale for the chartered 1/26 Zuiderdam and 5/30 Westerdam sails for new bookings.

I do not recall seeing this kind of promotion in the past. Clearly the supply of cabins for these far off chartered cruises exceeds the demand, thus the sale.

Makes me wonder how charters react when it becomes necessary to reduce the price well before final payment date.

I don't see that the Westerdam is a charter but the Zuiderdam 1/26/08 sailing is indeed a charter by (I think it was) Out and About Travel. Ladies only.

Sorry for not making it clear......the email is from the company who chartered the the entire ship, both ships. I am on many, many email lists and like to know who is chartering and when.

The risk for filling cabins transfers from HAL to the charter. And this is the first time I recall seeing a charter having a sale on cabins.

Susan:

I am interested to know how you know which ships are chartered. Is there a website, etc. I can look at?

I am considering a Veendam cruise in Nov. and have a feeling a large group may be onboard.:eek: Is there a website to look up large group sailings also?

Thanks for any info you can give. Deb C.

Sorry for not making it clear......the email is from the company who chartered the the entire ship, both ships. I am on many, many email lists and like to know who is chartering and when.

The risk for filling cabins transfers from HAL to the charter. And this is the first time I recall seeing a charter having a sale on cabins.

Who has chartered the ships?

Susan:

I am interested to know how you know which ships are chartered. Is there a website, etc. I can look at?

I am considering a Veendam cruise in Nov. and have a feeling a large group may be onboard.:eek: Is there a website to look up large group sailings also?

Thanks for any info you can give. Deb C.

I am not Susan but I can tell you there is no single or reliable source for which ships have been chartered or by whom. For awhile, there was a woman who, as a hobby, used to track group bookings for all mass marketed cruise lines and occasionally listed some charters too. It is my understanding she has since gone onto another hobby.

Groups can often be identified by googling the ship name and date of sail and going 10-20 deep on the results. Not all groups or charters advertize on the internet, but most do. It's kind of interesting to see so many varied group bookings on all the cruise lines. Of course a group can be as small as 8-12 cabins and often includes CC group cruises too.

Hammy--

I think that some of the specialty charter cruise companies have taken bites bigger than they can handle this year, as I have also received "sale" offers from RSVP Cruises (one of the "Boys" cruises ;)) for sizable discounts on their QM2 Transatlantic charter later this spring.

I say we start a "CCers Club" that takes full advantage of these "fabulous" charters when they aren't selling so well. I too have received MANY "discount" emails on many chartered sailings. I say if they aren't selling then ANYONE should be able to take advantage of the savings....so if we start a CC group that does that we can all save $$$$....of course you have to be willing to cruise with said charter....gay/lesbian....jazz lovers...Broadway...Harley Davidson lovers...nudists....:rolleyes: etc...

I love the entertainment Olivia brings onboard and have previously enquired if they would prefer to limit their cruises to women. They encouraged DH ( who happens to look like a bear :) ) and I to book.

The charters who sell to the public do not discriminate. One does not need to ride a Harley to join a Harley cruise :)

Archived