Sunset Beach Montego Bay

Starfish923

Can somone please tell exactly which taxi I should take off the cruise ship? I'm a little concerned about security in Jamaica so exact instructions would be nice. I understand that going from the Sunset Beach is safe as they call in the taxi, but how do I know that the taxi going there is legit.

Thanks a bunch!

They will ask you where you are going before you even leave the terminal. Just tell them Sunset Beach & they will get you a JUTA taxi or van(we had a small passenger van) it was $2 pp we tipped $2 & went on our way!

Can you tell me what activities where avaiable to do there?

Snorkeling, paddle boats, kayaking, water park (we didn't use the water park) but we did try out the paddle boats. They were fun & you could actually do them with a few drinks in you! The kayaks looked like too much work! We saved our snorkeling for Grand Cayman. FABULOUS I must say.

Does sunset beach have lockers to put you valuables in? Also does it have a topless or clothing optional section?

No lockers, but never felt like we couldn't leave a beach bag & towels on the chairs & have lunch, grab a drink, etc. Although we were travelling with friends & someone was always around. They did have their own "security" guards. There is a topless (perhaps clothing optional, not sure) area & it is clearly marked.

Have a great cruise!

We are doing Sunset Beach Resort next month. We've done it before and had a great, although terribly rainy, day.

If you or your kids are planning on snorkeling, I would suggest to bring your own snorkel gear. Snorkeling isn't great there, but kids still enjoy it. The reason I would take our own gear is so that you could snorkel whenever you wanted. Last time, my kids had to wait in a line for about 30 minutes until someone returned the snorkel gear. Apparently they only have a limited number of snorkels (obviously it's the same with the kayaks and paddle boats) and you can only use it for 30 minutes at a time. We had three boys and it was almost impossible for them to snorkel together because people didn't turn in 3 snorkels at a time usually.

Anyway, we are just going to bring our own cheap set, and not have to hassle with waiting for their snorkels.

• 1 month later...
This is not a problem. They take the card with your entrance fee (I think $40.00 per person) and they put it away in an inside office. (It was returned to us in a sealed envelope with our name on it.) Enjoy your visit. Get fresh towels at the beach. The amenities were clean, food & drinks-good. Plenty of pool and ocean!! Slides and lazy river for kids of all ages. Clean bathrooms and dressing rooms. Probably could use a fresh paint job-my only criticism. (When they're done painting send them to my house-it needs fresh paint too! :D ) When you are ready to leave, return your towels and get your receipt for them. Go to the front desk where they will collect the receipt, return your S&S card, and get your transportation back to the ship. :)

Does anyone know if Sunset Beach takes CC?

Just did a search, and yes they do!:)

I don't mean to be a party pooper, but I wouldn't use your CC for any "small charges" in any foreign port. The less people that have access to your number, the less chance someone "sells" your CC number.

Dean

I vacationed at the resort back in 05, at that time the water park feature was under construction and I didn't even realize that there was the private excursion off the ship to use the facilities for a fee. The staff was very friendly, security was tight after nightfall and beach was never crowded (May). The grill was so/so, only 1 day was the jerk chicken included in the menu.

We thought the grill food was pretty good. We didnt try the hotdogs, but the hamburgers tasted like you grilled them in your backyard and fries were good. Jerk chicken was good but REALLY hot. Peal the skin off first if you want to taste anything for the rest of the day!! LOL

We thought the grill food was pretty good. We didnt try the hotdogs, but the hamburgers tasted like you grilled them in your backyard and fries were good. Jerk chicken was good but REALLY hot. Peal the skin off first if you want to taste anything for the rest of the day!! LOL

Do they serve chicken strips or nuggets?

We are doing Sunset Beach Resort next month. We've done it before and had a great, although terribly rainy, day.

If you or your kids are planning on snorkeling, I would suggest to bring your own snorkel gear. Snorkeling isn't great there, but kids still enjoy it. The reason I would take our own gear is so that you could snorkel whenever you wanted. Last time, my kids had to wait in a line for about 30 minutes until someone returned the snorkel gear. Apparently they only have a limited number of snorkels (obviously it's the same with the kayaks and paddle boats) and you can only use it for 30 minutes at a time. We had three boys and it was almost impossible for them to snorkel together because people didn't turn in 3 snorkels at a time usually.

Anyway, we are just going to bring our own cheap set, and not have to hassle with waiting for their snorkels.

Is the water calm or real choppy? My kids have never snorkeled before

Has anyone else noticed how many British and Austrialian people vacation there:confused:

It was funny, when we went almost everyone had a pip pip cheerio accent. We ending up sitting on the beach next to a British couple on their 40th anniversary. They were so sweet. Me and the wife were talking about Hugh Laurie and House most of the time.

And they waved "cheerio" from the water to us when we left:p

The water was calm the day we were there. A storm brewed and it started raining and lots of close lightening. It was kinda cool!! Obviously we got out of the water!! This is when we decided to eat. The chicken is whole pieces of chicken with bones and has jerk seasoning on it. Very spicy. Too spicy for kids!!

Is the water calm or real choppy? My kids have never snorkeled before

When we were there, the water was calm during the morning and choppy in the afternoon. The wind picks up a lot in the afternoon, so I would definitely do the snorkeling early. If you stay inside the jetty area, it should be fairly calm all day but you won't see much there except sea grass. To see the "real" stuff, you need to go outside the jetty and swim out to the reef. It's beautiful out there.

Has anyone used the spa at Sunset, either in MoBay or Ocho? I am thinking the prices are almost certainly less than those on board ship, and there is probably no hard sell, a la Steiner....

• 4 weeks later...
Is there an extra cost for the water park part?

No, it is all included. Our grandkids LOVED the water park! Even the adults did the lazy river, and my grandkids even conned ME into going down the slide. Once was enough, though, for me :D But they went down over and over! We were there on August 1st, and it wasn't crowded at all.

Has anyone used the spa at Sunset, either in MoBay or Ocho? I am thinking the prices are almost certainly less than those on board ship, and there is probably no hard sell, a la Steiner....

Might be worth looking into, though no info on their Web site (actually, no info for cruise passengers in general, which I find strange.) The only thing you have to factor in is that you pay $40 to get the better price. Of course, you still get all the other stuff, so it's a glass half empty/full scenario :)

Archived