Pride of America 4/7 Review Part 1 - Hawaii

BeachLuvrBC

First of all, I’d like to give a huge mahalo to everyone at CC. I felt very prepared thanks to all the great info I found on the NCL and Hawaii boards!

This was our first cruise and first trip to Hawaii (husband, daughter (15), sons (11 & 6), my mom, and myself). We were on Pride of America 4/7/07 -Easter Week. I know this is really long, but I hope it helps someone planning their Hawaiian cruise. Part 1 – What we did in Hawaii:

We stayed 3 nights at the Waikiki Beach Marriott pre-cruise, (not through NCL because I had points for 1 free night) and rented a van through Hertz for that time. Since we were still on east coast time, we were at Pearl Harbor first thing Thursday morning. We toured the Arizona Memorial, the Bowfin submarine and the Missouri. It was a very moving experience. Even my sons were in awe of everything they saw that day and thought it was the best part of our whole trip! We spent the afternoon on Waikiki beach in front of the Marriott. We liked the barrier there to keep the waves out.

Day 2 on Oahu we took a ride up to the North Shore, and were impressed with the large waves. Then we went on to the Polynesian Cultural Center. We did the Ambassador pkg with our tour guide, “Cousin Tim”. The different islands were interesting and the people were very nice and very talented. I did feel rushed from one exhibit to the next and missed some opportunities for the hands on exhibits, but this is the only way to get to all of the shows. We did the “fine dining” which was a buffet that was not very appetizing. I don’t recommend it. However, the Horizons night show was fantastic. I enjoyed the PCC, but it was a long day and if I get back to Oahu, I wouldn’t feel like I had to do it again.

Saturday morning, we saw the POAm sailing from our hotel room. We headed over to the port about noon. Embarkation was simple and quick. We had some lunch on deck at the Aloha buffet and spent the afternoon at the pool with some tasty drinks.

Sunday was Easter Sunday in Hilo. POAm had a catholic priest on board and offered Easter mass at 7am and 9:30am. We were grateful for the opportunity to celebrate Easter mass in Hawaii! We rented a van and headed to VNP. Because my youngest had pneumonia 3 weeks prior and started coughing again, we did a quick drive thru of VNP, including Chain of Craters Road. We only got out of van at visitor center/Volcano House and one of the overlooks. I didn’t want to aggravate his asthma. We were back on the ship early to get him to the ship’s doctor. We really enjoyed watching the glowing lava flow from the ship at night. There was much more than I expected.

Monday, Maui - My family had enough sightseeing at this point and with my little one’s coughing we decided to spend the day at Ka’anapali Beach. We stopped at a State Park right next to the Westin. I have to say, we were not impressed with this beach. We’ve heard that it was spectacular from several friends but we found the ocean to have a severe drop and undertow which actually knocked my husband down, no one went in. When the rain clouds came, we went over to the Hyatt for lunch. The resort’s grounds are spectacular! My family wanted to skip the rest of the cruise and hang out there. The beach here was similar to the beach where we sat earlier. We walked around Lahaina for a while, which was a cute little town, then headed over to the Old Lahaina Luau. We really enjoyed the Luau. The food was delicious, the scenery and sunset was beautiful and the show was great. We thought it was worth every penny and recommend this Luau.

Day 2 Maui, since the others wanted to hang out on the ship, my mom and I did the NCL excursion to Haleakala (not sunrise). It was amazing to be above the clouds, the crater was neat, our tour guide was very informative and entertaining, and the best part was seeing Tom Seleck’s house! We picked up the others and head over to the Iao Valley and Needle. We weren’t planning to stop there, but it was so close to the ship that we stopped there before returning the rental car.

Kona – We booked the Body Glove Snorkel and loved it. The water in Kona was clean, clear and beautiful turquoise and sapphire. The water in Pawai Bay was warmer than any of the beaches we went to. The Body Gove was excellent the staff was fun, yet very professional. They helped everyone feel comfortable in the water. They provided gear, noodles, floats. They provided delicious breakfast and lunch and would even bring out a drink to your float if you wanted. I just wished the trip was a little longer with more water time. Since it was over by 12:30, the rest of the family went back to the ship while mom and I walked along Ali’i Drive for some shopping and iced coffee. Then we took a quick dip at the beach by the pier.

Kauai – Unanimously our favorite island. Rented a van and drove up the north shore straight to beautiful Ke’e Beach. Settled at Ha’ena State Park for a while and saw Bethany Hamilton surfing there. She is amazing. Headed back to the Opaeka’a Falls and Wailua River (missed the last boat there). Then went on to Spouting Horn then Poipu Beach. We loved Poipu Beach and thought it was the best we saw in Hawaii. Got there too late to really enjoy much time there, but had a gorgeous sunset.

Kauai Day 2 – Mom and I did the NCL excursion to Waimea Canyon. Having an air tour over the Grand Canyon just 2 weeks prior, I’d have to say that Grand Canyon was much larger, but I thought Waimea Canyon was more colorful, prettier, even had a waterfall.

Last Day on Honolulu – We had a 9:30pm flight, so we booked a room at the Waikiki Marriott again ($191) and went there straight from the ship. We hung out on the beach and at the pool, took showers and had dinner there before heading to the airport. We paid the AAA nightly rate but it was worth it for us (6 people) to be able to relax, enjoy the beach and weather, shower and eat before heading home. We were also happy to know that in case our flight was cancelled (NJ was experiencing a Nor’Easter), we already had a place to stay.

Hawaii is just beautiful. There is way too much to do and see in such a short time. The scenery is like nothing we have ever seen before. The people were very nice and gracious. Exploring the culture was wonderful. If we were to go back, I would do a land vacation to Maui and Kauai (we loved Poipu Beach area). We do spend a lot of time at the beach in Southeast Florida, and been to the Caribbean several times so I was a little disappointed with the beaches in Hawaii. I thought the water was cold and kind of rough. We are so grateful we had the opportunity to get there. Hopefully, we can get back there someday (without kids)! Look for my next posting on our experiences on Pride of America.

Thanks so much for the review. My DH, DD and in laws will be going in May for our first trip to Hawaii so I am reading everything that I can. If you don't mind me asking a question, did you hear anyone onboard talking about the new luau that NCL offers? I know that it won't be the "best" that there is but I like the idea of not having to drive ourselves. Thanks for the help and I'll look forward to reading the rest of your review.

Thank you so much for your review. We sail in about two weeks and I'm still reading everything I can. :rolleyes:

• Can you please tell us what you thought of the ship?
  • Where did you dine and how was it?
  • Was there a BBQ on deck on Saturday?
  • Which nights did they serve lobster or prime rib?
  • What type of cabin(s) did you have? Were they clean and well stocked?

Thanks again and congratulations on your first successful cruise! ;)

Ali

My family is going in May. We are attending a luau at Ka'anapali Beach and I am worried about driving back to Kahalui at night. Since you just came back, can you please tell me:

1. Did you take Highway 30 back to Kahalui?

2. Is it difficult/dangerous to drive that highway at night?

3. Is it very winding, narow and/or right at the edge of a cliff?

Really appreciate if you could provide me with some info so that I can decide whether I should drive or take a shuttle.

Many thanks.

My family is going in May. We are attending a luau at Ka'anapali Beach and I am worried about driving back to Kahalui at night. Since you just came back, can you please tell me:

Really appreciate if you could provide me with some info so that I can decide whether I should drive or take a shuttle.

Many thanks.

You're asking about taking 30 around the north side (Kahekili Hwy)? First, you absolutely MUST NOT take this road at night if you haven't driven it several times and aren't very used to narrow, winding, dark, one lane roads with blind corners, steep dropoffs, and other challenges. Period.

Yes, it is dangerous at night. And even during the day, it's a challenge. Beyond that, it not only will not save you time, it would take you twice as long as just driving back to Ma'alaea and cross island to Kahului--and that's during the day when you can see where you are going.

Yes, it is very windy, narrow, and a good part of it is right on the edge of the cliffs.

We've driven it (west to east) during the day, and it is very scenic and stunning, but you won't see that at night.

Our preference is always for rental cars, but you will need a DD if you do that. There's not a whole bunch of shuttle information available yet, but I know it's been discussed lately. I think it's been mentioned at $20 p/p one-way, but I'm not positive. An advanced search on this forum only for "maui shuttle" and going back 3 months should yield at least some information. There are not bunches of shuttles lined up at the pier waiting to take pax all over the island.

In any case, you absolutely cannot plan to drive around the north side at night. There are locals who won't consider driving it at night, so that should give you some idea about how difficult it is.

beachchick

You're asking about taking 30 around the north side (Kahekili Hwy)? First, you absolutely MUST NOT take this road at night if you haven't driven it several times and aren't very used to narrow, winding, dark, one lane roads with blind corners, steep dropoffs, and other challenges. Period.

Yes, it is dangerous at night. And even during the day, it's a challenge. Beyond that, it not only will not save you time, it would take you twice as long as just driving back to Ma'alaea and cross island to Kahului--and that's during the day when you can see where you are going.

Yes, it is very windy, narrow, and a good part of it is right on the edge of the cliffs.

We've driven it (west to east) during the day, and it is very scenic and stunning, but you won't see that at night.

Our preference is always for rental cars, but you will need a DD if you do that. There's not a whole bunch of shuttle information available yet, but I know it's been discussed lately. I think it's been mentioned at $20 p/p one-way, but I'm not positive. An advanced search on this forum only for "maui shuttle" and going back 3 months should yield at least some information. There are not bunches of shuttles lined up at the pier waiting to take pax all over the island.

In any case, you absolutely cannot plan to drive around the north side at night. There are locals who won't consider driving it at night, so that should give you some idea about how difficult it is.

beachchick

Hi Beachchick,

Thank-you very much for your advice. I apologize for not being clearenough on my route. I did not mean Highway 30 around the north side. My intended route is Hwy 30 South and then Hwy 380 North. Is this routedifficult/dangerous to drive at night? Are conditions the same as aroundthe north as described by Beachchick? I am totally unfamiliar with Maui sowould really appreciate some info so that I can plan appropriately. Thelast thing I want is to end up in driving conditions as described byBeachchick. Thank you so much.

Thanks so much for the review. My DH, DD and in laws will be going in May for our first trip to Hawaii so I am reading everything that I can. If you don't mind me asking a question, did you hear anyone onboard talking about the new luau that NCL offers? I know that it won't be the "best" that there is but I like the idea of not having to drive ourselves. Thanks for the help and I'll look forward to reading the rest of your review.

Bettyboop - I didn't hear much about the luau. It must have been well attended because the ship was quiet, the closed the Liberty Restaurant and we were able to eat at Lazy J without a reservation. I think it was at Smith's and only for NCL passengers if I heard correctly. Betty - I think you may be my twin, I'm a Betty (not Elizabeth), born in '66.

canada - I took the route you meant - Highway 30 south to 380 north. It was an easy drive, even at night and there were other cars on the road.

• Can you please tell us what you thought of the ship?
  • Where did you dine and how was it?
  • Was there a BBQ on deck on Saturday?
  • Which nights did they serve lobster or prime rib?
  • What type of cabin(s) did you have? Were they clean and well stocked?

Juneau - See my review part 2, I just posted it. I do not think there was a BBQ on deck Saturday, but I may have missed it. They served lobster and prime rib in the main dining rooms on Wednesday for our sailing. People were waiting outside the restaurants for the 5:30pm opening.

I hope I referenced your quotes correctly.

BeachLuvrBC,

I have always felt like part of me is missing.....maybe you are my twin. If you are rich you ARE my twin. LOL I am also Betty not Elizabeth. My b-day is actually Sept. 20, how about you? I hope that you are the older twin. I like being the youngest.LOL

My 21 year old daughter is going to cruise with us this time. She's cruised before but never with my DH and I. We are all so excited. The luau is the only excursion that we booked through the cruise line. I know that it isn't the best in Hawaii but it serves our purposes and no one has to be the designated driver. Thanks for the reviews I have read both of them and if it is possible I am even more excited now.

Hi Beachchick,

Thank-you very much for your advice. I apologize for not being clearenough on my route. I did not mean Highway 30 around the north side. My intended route is Hwy 30 South and then Hwy 380 North. Is this routedifficult/dangerous to drive at night? Are conditions the same as aroundthe north as described by Beachchick? I am totally unfamiliar with Maui sowould really appreciate some info so that I can plan appropriately. Thelast thing I want is to end up in driving conditions as described byBeachchick. Thank you so much.

Oh my goodness. I certainly did mistunderstand which part of which roads you were asking about. No, driving 30 down and then picking up 380 will not be a problem at all. The only "challenging" part (and really, it's not much of a challenge) is a bit of the coast between Lahaina and Ma'alaea. I say "challenge" simply because there are a few twists and turns (but not bad ones) and you are close to the water. The only thing to be careful of is that you make sure you take the correct turnoff for 380. It's pretty well marked, so I doubt you'll have any problems at all. You can take 380 to 350 and go left to go pretty straight on to the cruise docks, or take 380 all the way to 36 and turn left, then when it branches you'll go left again onto 32. I'm sure there are signs for the cruise ship pier.

Phew, glad to know you were asking about the easy way to get back to Kahului.

beachchick

Beachchick,

If I am going from Lahaina south back to the port..is it quickest to go from Hwy 30 to Hwy 380 then left on 350 back to the port or Hwy 30 to 330 and over? I assume it doesn't really matter but since my itinerary is pretty busy I want the quickest route possible.

Also, I guess after reading one of your other posts you might recommend that if I am travelling the west coast that maybe we should travel from port south and around the west coast and hit Lahaina (quick drive/walk through) first and then head to Kaanapali/Black Rock for 45 minutes-1hour snorkel and continue up to Honolua Bay for a quick snorkel and take the 340 that way so we are not right on the edge of the cliff?

I had planned to do it the other way as I know snorkeling is better in am than afternoon...so was going to take 340 to 30 and then travel to Lahaina last and back around south to port. Confused yet??:rolleyes:

What do you think?

Debbie

Beachchick,

If I am going from Lahaina south back to the port..is it quickest to go from Hwy 30 to Hwy 380 then left on 350 back to the port or Hwy 30 to 330 and over? I assume it doesn't really matter but since my itinerary is pretty busy I want the quickest route possible.

The fastest and most direct route is to take 30 to 380. Then take 350 to 32. You'd turn left onto 350 and right onto 32 for a very short little jog over to the entrance to the cruise pier. Or you could take 380 to 36 to 32. You'd turn left on 36 and then follow the signs for the cruise pier (a short way left on 32 I think). Taking 30 all the way across to 32 would put you into Wailuku and require you to drive all the way across town. Definitely not the most time effective. (330 doesn't technically start until the junction of 32.)

Also, I guess after reading one of your other posts you might recommend that if I am travelling the west coast that maybe we should travel from port south and around the west coast and hit Lahaina (quick drive/walk through) first and then head to Kaanapali/Black Rock for 45 minutes-1hour snorkel and continue up to Honolua Bay for a quick snorkel and take the 340 that way so we are not right on the edge of the cliff?

If you plan to drive around the north, then yes, this is what I would recommend. If you're doing it for the scenic drive, great; if you're doing it to try to save time, not the thing to do. Not only will it not save you time, it will take at least twice as long to get back to Kahului then if you doubled back down to Ma'alaea and back up 380.

I had planned to do it the other way as I know snorkeling is better in am than afternoon...so was going to take 340 to 30 and then travel to Lahaina last and back around south to port. Confused yet??:rolleyes:

Nah, not too confused. There's certainly no rule about not going around the north from east to west, but you have to realize that you aren't going to get to Honolua quickly. If you're taking the north route for the scenic drive, then you need to plan to stop and actually enjoy the scenery. If you're doing it to save time, again...not going to help you there. Even going as "fast" as possible with no stops to enjoy the beauty, it will take you well over an hour (I'd guess 1-1/2 hours or so) to get from Kahului to Honolua. It's not a time-saving route, but one for enjoyment.

What do you think?

I think that you should not take the north route unless you are doing it for the pleasure of it and don't mind that it's a challenging road which takes quite a bit of time (although not as much time as the road to Hana).

If you're taking it for the pleasure, then I still think you should take 380 to 30 to get to the west side. You can drive straight up to Honolua, then down to Ka'anapali, then enjoy Lahaina. It's only 20 minutes (25 max) from Honolua to Lahaina, so you really wouldn't have too much back-tracking to go around the north in the afternoon. Or you could do your plan A (Lahaina-Ka'anapali-Honolua) if you get a nice early start.

Debbie

Hope that helps a bit.

beachchick

Archived