Alaska on Mariner questions

sjrhdavis

As a first time cruiser, I have been reviewing these boards and some of the more general boards, but I have a few questions specific to the Mariner in Alaska that I wasn't sure about (I hope these aren't stupid questions):

1. I see a lot of discussion on other boards about getting pictures taken at various points on the cruise (formal nights, when getting on and off the ship, etc.). Does this happen on Mariner and if so, when?

2. I also have seen a lot of descriptions about day time activities on sea days on other boards, but wasn't sure which of these activites would be going on on our cruise (trivia, newlywed game(?), naturalist talks, etc.).

3. I am travelling with my two girls, ages 8 and 6, who are experienced and well-behaved restaurant goers. Can anyone tell me how the kids menu is on Mariner? Would kids be able to go to Signatures at all, or is that simply not doable?

Thanks for your help.

They do take pictures--at embarkation, formal night, and various other times during the cruise. I actually like Regent because they are not nearly as pushy about this as some other cruise lines. If you want to have your picture taken, fine--if not, that is fine too. And I didn't feel pressured to buy any though I did buy the formal night picture--didn't know when my two boys would be in suits again.

There is tons scenery to look at all the time--it is just too beautiful. I don't think you will have any problem finding stuff to do in sea days.

My sons are well-travelled and well-behaved. They went on their first Regent (then Radisson) cruise when they were 12 and 16 and had a great time. That is a bit older than your daughters, but my sons would have probably ordered from the regular menu even at ages 6 and 8. There are a whole lot of choices. Every night there is a pasta choice and you can always get steak or chicken. I don't think they will have any problem finding food they like. And they will really like the desserts. Haven't eaten in Signatures, so can't comment on that.

Hi, we were on Mariner a couple of years ago when my daughter was 10. There was plenty for her to choose from. They would offer the kids menu with pasta and chicken fingers, etc. and she would also look at the main menu. That was the year that we first allowed her to stay in our suite and order room service. She really was not interested in Signatures (although she has always dined with us in the main dining room since she was 5) and since we felt comfortable with her staying in the room, we agreed for her to order from room service. It worked out fine. We talked her through the menu first and she had sliced cold carrots for her first course and medallions with no sauce and a baked potato for her second course. A hot fudge sundae was dessert. There has been no looking back! Your daughters may be a little young for that, so I would think twice about Signatures. Our daughter would have tolerated it for one night but it is really more fancy than the dining room and most kids really would not be at their best there (and consider the other guests there for their special dinner). I don't know if they have babysitting on the Mariner, but that might be something to check if you and your husband really wanted to eat in Signatures - which I agree is delightful.

As far as things to do during the sea days, we love sea days. Sometimes we find that all the lectures and other interesting things they have on the agenda interfere with our loafing and reading! Don't worry at all. They won't do really goofy things like the Newlywed Game, but there is Trivia and Bingo if you like that. Several lectures, an outdoor buffet, that kind of thing.

You will have a great time!

NJBelle

We were on Mariner to Alaska last summer (late June) an they do a great job with pics. Not only on board but at every port. Of course, you can always decline and you are definitely under no pressure to purchase. They are displayed almost daily and you can make your choice at your leisure. I love pictures and always get few as mementos of the trip. We were with Bill Handel's (KFI Radio Talk Show Host) Group and he and his wife have 11 year old twin daughters who had a fabulous time in the kid's program (Mariner Club?). They had their 11th birthday on board and they were given a royal birthday party and dinner that evening. It was neat to see the group of young people at their own table having the birthday celebration. You will not be disappointed with what Mariner has to offer for kids. Enjoy it all, Alaska is awesome beyond belief.

I agree with the other posters. The photographers are around much of the time but really are not pushy, They take the usual formal pictures on boarding and at parties and they are displayed throughout the cruise for you to buy if you wish.

As far as activities are concerned, on the Alaskan cruise there was a wonderful naturist, I think I remember her name as Terry Bream. A fund of knowledge presented in a most interesting way both as theatre talks and as commentary on the areas we were passing through. There are trivia quizzes just after afternoon tea and just because it is Alaska do not dismiss the pool activities out of hand. In late May it was warm enough for the pool deck when we cruised. They will have a magical time looking out for whales, sea lions and so on.

I cannot answer for children's menus. Signatures IS formal but I am sure there would be no bar to children, though I suspect there is no children's special menu. And I think the same would be true of Latitudes. The waiters will make a fuss of them in Compass Rose and Veranda though, as many of them have families and children which they may not have seen for a long time.

Have a wonderful cruise. What a marvellous experience for youngsters. I wish such had been available years ago when I was a youngster!

I've been cruising with my children for many years. They are now 8 and 11. What we find works really well, and assuming you are cruising when the Mariner's program is onboard, is to let the kids have room service for dinner, where they can order off the dining room menu if they like, and then have dinner with your spouse.

My kids find it fun...and also a way to show their independence (though I do check on what they order and make sure they are eating properly)...while not having to live through the ordeal of "another" dinner lasting "forever" with a lot of boring talk which keeps them from the kid's program.

Since we spend a good bit of the day together and we have dinner together most nights at home, it works well for us.

I did inquire about taking them to Signatures, for a special dinner, and was told it would be fine. (My kids opted out, however. They had a date with the kid's program.)

As others have said, photos are available without being pushing and there are quite a few activities on board.

If you have Terry Bream as your naturalist, you are in for a treat. She is exceptional.

Archived