Whats in the FLL airport??

My flight after my cruise does not leave until 2pm. I am thinking we will have some time to wait at the airport if we get off the ship in a timely fashion.

My question is ..Are there bars or restuaraunts there? Any interesting gift shops?

My advice. Stay on the cruise ship as long as possible. I forget what terminal we were in but there was one small restaurant/bar "Key West something.." a magzine rack (literally, not a store) and then a small store with snacks and t-shirts. We got off the boat at 10pm in Miami and were sitting in the airport for 2.5hrs. BORING!!

It could depend on what terminal you leave from. We flew American and once we were passed security there was nothing but a crappy sandwich place. There may have been a few things before heading through security.

There was very little before security, after security there was a dunkin donuts, a bar, a cheeseburger place and that is all that stands out in my mind. I was on Southwest so I don't know if there are other things elsewhere in the airport.

Thank you everyone..Thats what I was afraid of. We are flying southwest as well. I hope I can just find a seat on the ship and just people watch until they kick us off.:) I really dont want to sit in the airport and be bored after having a great cruise.

Thank you everyone..Thats what I was afraid of. We are flying southwest as well. I hope I can just find a seat on the ship and just people watch until they kick us off.:) I really dont want to sit in the airport and be bored after having a great cruise.

Don't worry. The Southwest terminal there has several options. It's a relatively new facility.

Sue, that helped alot. I also read there that a company called bags to go offers check in for southwest at the port. It says it cost 20 pp. It has to be arranged at baggage claim upon arrival at FLL. I just may do that. Thanks again.

Sue, that helped alot. I also read there that a company called bags to go offers check in for southwest at the port. It says it cost 20 pp. It has to be arranged at baggage claim upon arrival at FLL. I just may do that. Thanks again.

Post if you use it and how it works, I would have loved to get rid of the bags earlier. I kind of bought too much and we had to buy another bag on the ship which made for some tricky maneuvers with all the luggage.

You have a outstanding selection of Nothing, Nothing, and Nothing. Be sure to visit Nothing in the Concourse A.

ROTFL - This is my favorite post of the day. Thanks for the smile :D

I will say this. PLEASE use curbside check in. Go up, get a porter from your airline, pay him $10 or so and he will get you everything you need from his stand while you wait by the curb with your bags. He then gives you your boarding passes (if you need them) puts the luggage tickets on while you watch and takes them away. Then you walk past everyone else waiting in line outside and inside and go straight to security. What are people doing waiting in those long lines? I don't get it?? A few dollars goes along way for us.

I will say this. PLEASE use curbside check in. Go up, get a porter from your airline, pay him $10 or so and he will get you everything you need from his stand while you wait by the curb with your bags. He then gives you your boarding passes (if you need them) puts the luggage tickets on while you watch and takes them away. Then you walk past everyone else waiting in line outside and inside and go straight to security. What are people doing waiting in those long lines? I don't get it?? A few dollars goes along way for us.

Sounds great to me. That was also my favorite post of the day. tooo funny!!!

Last time I flew out of Ft. Lauderdale, there was a big back-log of luggage to be screened so they were restricting people from getting their boading passes depending on when your flight was scheduled; e.g. those with later flights had to stand (no place to sit) until TSA screened the luggage of those with earlier flights. It was Terminal 4 and it is smaller so maybe that is the problem.

My experience was two years ago and I am hoping things are better when we fly out of there this Friday.

More airlines these days are starting to offer check-in right there where the ship docks. Soon you'll be able to get your boarding passes and hand over your bags as soon as you get off the ship.

And on a side note, leave your 80-pound bags at home. You have no idea how many guys get hernias, stressed backs and knees lifting your luggage. And this happens even more in airports which thrive on cruise passengers. Those little handles and wheels may make it easy for you to drag the bag around, but they can't be used in the bin of an aircraft. ;)

This is great IF you are there within the time you can check it 3 hrs. before flight. However, we were there early in the morning (along with 4 other ships passengers) not permitted to check in. We had to always be with our luggage and this airport was horrible. People everywhere!!! They are not equipped for so many passengers at one time. We flew USAir and we didn't see any nice spots to eat. We opted for drinks and chips out of a machine!! Hope it works out better for you!! This is one airport that we would like to avoid:( Have a great cruise.

The entire airport terminal is no bigger than just the Jet Blue terminal at JFK. It was one of the smallest airports I've ever been in, but great because everything is close - no 10 minute runs to catch a plane.

I had my laptop with me and was so thankful I did.....

Archived