Whats in the FLL airport??

We're flying out of FLL on a Wednesday (hoping for a slower day than a cruise ship day :p ), our flight is at 2:50 pm. We're renting a car from Alamo and used the discount code from Costco at a fairly decent savings. We're paying around $32 per day for a mid-size vehicle. The cost for taxi and/or shuttle would have been that much or more.

I did check out the price for a one way rental, pick up at MIA, drop off at FLL, it was around $40-45 as I recall.

After reading all these comments, I'm glad for our choice, we're not the type to be comfortable waiting around at an airport for hours on end. Been there, done that.... hated it. Since our trip is so short (Hi Jean :) ), we found it was even worth it to rent the car from the airport, park it at the port and have it there when we disembark. Not the best choice for a 7 day cruise, but we figure the parking fee is worth it to not have to hassle renting a car the morning of disembarkation.

We've never flown into FLL before, so this should be an adventure :eek:

Edit to add, the price I stated is inclusive of all taxes and other fees!

Flying into FLL isn't bad. It's flying out of there that is the pits. Has anyone noticed that all of the posts about FLL have been negative and no one has posted a contrary opinion? I don't think that any other topic on this board has ever not had at least a few posters defend what others have criticized.:)

I'm not sure which of the major car rental agencies have offices at the pier, but in Florida it is usually possible to rent a car at one location in the state and turn it in at another without paying a drop off fee.

Flying into FLL isn't bad. It's flying out of there that is the pits. Has anyone noticed that all of the posts about FLL have been negative and no one has posted a contrary opinion? I don't think that any other topic on this board has ever not had at least a few posters defend what others have criticized.:)

I'm not sure which of the major car rental agencies have offices at the pier, but in Florida it is usually possible to rent a car at one location in the state and turn it in at another without paying a drop off fee.

Actually, I will be that 1 person. We just flew back out of FLL 2 weeks ago, BUT it was a friday so not too many cruise ships. Just us (Brilliance) and I think it was Majesty on that day. Though it was good friday. We breezed through. The skycap came to the taxi and helped with our bags, we had already checked in online from the ship and absolutely no lines at the security. From reading everyones posts though I think we really lucked out. I was dying for a cup of iced coffee, got that at Dunkin donuts and waited the 2 hours for our flight.

Believe me I am not defending the airport or criticizing anyone, I am thanking my lucky stars that we had such an easy time of it!!:D

Actually, I will be that 1 person. We just flew back out of FLL 2 weeks ago, BUT it was a friday so not too many cruise ships. Just us (Brilliance) and I think it was Majesty on that day. Though it was good friday. We breezed through. The skycap came to the taxi and helped with our bags, we had already checked in online from the ship and absolutely no lines at the security. From reading everyones posts though I think we really lucked out. I was dying for a cup of iced coffee, got that at Dunkin donuts and waited the 2 hours for our flight.

Believe me I am not defending the airport or criticizing anyone, I am thanking my lucky stars that we had such an easy time of it!!:D

I'm glad to hear of your good experience. Our previous experience flying out of FLL was okay except for the lengthy security lines and that can happen at any airport. I think that the primary problem at FLL is not experienced by those who are able to check in upon arrival and go through security to the departure gates. However, those of us who have the misfortune to arrive at the airport before the hour when we are allowed to check our luggage and proceed through security are stranded in a desolate building devoid of almost any creature comforts including decent food and beverage facilities.:)

Any thoughts on how it might be flying out on a Monday? It's been a while since I've used FLL. Hopefully it's not too bad since I'll have a 3 year old in tow! :eek: Our flight leaves out at 12:40pm so we shouldn't have to wait around for long, at least I"m hoping.

That rent a car deal may work...but I am just wondering is 4-5 hours really worth it. If I can be lucky enough to get off the ship about 10am...(don't think they will arrest me if i hang out that long on the pool deck) get through customs and get a taxi to FLL....I may be looking at 11am. Is it true I can check bags then. that would 3 hours before the flight? If we could have a drink or two.....I maybe able to bear the wait. I will also pack a deck of cards. However I will look into the car idea as well.

Archived