Shore Excursions

We will be on the Mariner this summer and are first time cruisers. Do you think it is better to prebook the excursions and also wonder if anyone has had any good or bad experiences on the following excursions we are considering or maybe some we didn't look at....

Captains Choice Wildlife Quest and Beach trek-Sitka

Tracy Arm

Four Glacier Exploration by Helicopter

Aventrue to Glacier point by Speedcat

Fishing from Cabin Cruisers

Thanks

We did the Four Glacier By Helicopter tour out of Juneau last summer on our cruise. By all means try and do this, even thought it's on the pricey side. I thought it was worth every penny. It's really the best way to see what Alaska is really all about and the only way to actually walk on the glaciers. If it's the same trip, you land at a dog training camp and get to meet some of the dogs that train for the Iditarod, then take a very fun dog sled ride. The views from the helicopter are unbelievable.

Oops, forgot!! The Captain's Choice in Sitka, was a waste of time and money. The boat ride out was kind of fun but we were deposited on a deserted island and there was nothing there to see or do. You would be better off to just go into town and do things on your own. Sitka is very charming, lot's to see and do. And, yes, do Tracy Arm, that was fabulous. The boat picks you up off the Mariner early morning and you re-connect at the next port. Yes, I would book on line. Some of the more popular tours fill up quickly, besides, you then don't have to go through the hassle of trying to do it on board. Your first day on board is busy enough, getting settled, learning your way around the ship etc. Especially since this is your very first cruise make it as easy as you can. Take advantage of the Observation Lounge, my most favorite place on ship. Have fun, wish I were going again.

I agree with greytstuff above. Book early and don't miss Tracey Arm. I personally like wildlife and book up for whale watching, sea otters and so on. I stuck with the Regent organised trips, they were well done, had drinks and snacks available usually and went like clockwork.

You really cannot go wrong. It is a superb cruise on and off Mariner.

Archived