Baked Alaska Parade etc.

Kindlychap

Which restaurants on which ship does one escape this dire tradition?

(I'm aware you are safe in the Queens' Grill on QE2)

Likewise, does one have to suffer musak in any restaurant?

(Again, I am aware that one is safe in the Queens' Grill on QE2)

Matthew

The Princess grill is a safe area as well. I don't know about the Britannia, but you do get it in the Caronia:(

A long time ago they used to have dinner dances in the Columbia - Now the restaurant's free of background music (apart from the BAP:D )

Matthew

Not in Caronia but the parade was faux baked alaska as they are no longer able to torch the Alaska for safety reasons.Do they bring you a flaming Alaska in the Queen's Grill? And pray tell do they have live music at dinner in the Grills? I do not remember if there was music in the Caronia diningroom but I find something playing softly in the background preferably some Baroque chamber music, helps to fill in a larger space.

The Princess grill is a safe area as well. I don't know about the Britannia, but you do get it in the Caronia:(

A long time ago they used to have dinner dances in the Columbia - Now the restaurant's free of background music (apart from the BAP:D )

Well, my friend who is dining in the Caronia next year will be pleased about lack of musak.

He'll have to suffer the BAP. I saw a notice somewhere in January "Bring your cameras!". Struck fear in me to the very marrow.

Matthew

Not in Caronia but the parade was faux baked alaska as they are no longer able to torch the Alaska for safety reasons.Do they bring you a flaming Alaska in the Queen's Grill? And pray tell do they have live music at dinner in the Grills? I do not remember if there was music in the Caronia diningroom but I find something playing softly in the background preferably some Baroque chamber music, helps to fill in a larger space.

No musak in Queens' Grill.

Individual Baked alaska is flamed at the tableside with cherries.

Lovely - provided the circus is dispensed with. You can't beat a pudding burnt in front of you!

Matthew

No musak in Queens' Grill.

Individual Baked alaska is flamed at the tableside with cherries.

Lovely - provided the circus is dispensed with. You can't beat a pudding burnt in front of you!

Matthew

If they provide cherries with the Baked Alaska do they bring you some Baked Alaska when you have Cherries Jubilee?

I find it amusing that they can risk setting fire to the Queens Grill but not the rest of the dining rooms. Is it closer to a fire station?

He'll have to suffer the BAP. I saw a notice somewhere in January "Bring your cameras!". Struck fear in me to the very marrow.

If he dines very early he'd be able to escape before it took place, it he dined very late he could still be on his starter when the BAP happened.

Of course if he wanted to miss it all together (and have a truly memorable experience:D ) you could suggest that he ate in The Lido on that night.

If he dines very early he'd be able to escape before it took place, it he dined very late he could still be on his starter when the BAP happened.

Of course if he wanted to miss it all together (and have a truly memorable experience:D ) you could suggest that he ate in The Lido on that night.

Knowing Fabio, he'll be eating solidly from 7.00 until 9.00, before retiring for Limoncello prior to the midnight buffet.....

Matthew

The parade was faux baked alaska as they are no longer able to torch the Alaska for safety reasons.

I'm puzzled. Why use a fake pudding yet still have real sparklers, etc? They also do other flambé dishes when they're on the menu.

I'm puzzled. Why use a fake pudding yet still have real sparklers, etc? They also do other flambé dishes when they're on the menu.

The pudding was real it just was not flamed. A bit on the soggy side by the time it was carted around the room several times then back to the kitchen and back to the tables on individual plates. loses a lot in the doing.

If they provide cherries with the Baked Alaska do they bring you some Baked Alaska when you have Cherries Jubilee?

I find it amusing that they can risk setting fire to the Queens Grill but not the rest of the dining rooms. Is it closer to a fire station?

I guess that the difference is that one is carried through a restaurant, whereas the Queens' Grill version is done on a dedicated tableside thingamy, with fire extinguisher to hand.

Matthew

Knowing Fabio, he'll be eating solidly from 7.00 until 9.00, before retiring for Limoncello prior to the midnight buffet.....

Would they serve that liqueur in The Lido? If he were to finish in the Caronia by 8-30 he could make last orders for dinner there and then be ready to start again at midnight. Failing that, if room service can provide Limoncello, he could retire to his cabin for a substantial snack before the midnight buffet (that actually starts at 11-30pm!).

Actually, I think the sparklers while not a danger to the ship sure can eat up a nice silk gown with the hot metal droppings as they twrill through the room.

Matthew

Don't worry, I'll make sure he escapes in time!!

No parades in Britannia on QM2. She has WAY too much class for that. No waiters parading about, although the restaurant heads (chefs) do line up on the stairwell , if I remember correctly.

Besides, how could they parade without knocking over the harp player, the chamber music trio or the string quartet, always, always playing live on the dais at the entrance on the second tier. The music wafts gently over diners on the lower tier without being intrusive.

Nope. She's a class act. I can't speak for what the old folks with the marriage to "traditions" do in the grill or on her older sister.

Mary doesn't go for all that fol-de-rol. Sh'e much too dignified!

:rolleyes:

Karie,

who is not big on harp and chamber music, but it sure beats musak!

Besides, how could they parade without knocking over the harp player, the chamber music trio or the string quartet, always, always playing live on the dais at the entrance on the second tier. The music wafts gently over diners on the lower tier without being intrusive.

Background music:eek: That's almost as bad as the BAP:)

No parades in Britannia on QM2. She has WAY too much class for that. No waiters parading about, although the restaurant heads (chefs) do line up on the stairwell , if I remember correctly.

Karie,

Sorry to be the bearer of sad tidings, but on our September crossing last year, there was a parade through the Britannia, albeit without the baked Alaska. It seems that the decision on whether to parade or not lies with the senior Restaurant management.

However, I do agree that QM2 has much more class than most (but, as will no doubt be pointed out, I have not yet been on QE2!).;)

David

I for one love the Baked Alaska Parade with music, sparklers and all that goes with it, QE2 wouldnt be the same without it, Indeed last year it was still alive and well in the Mauretania. Being seated at the Captains Table we all had a superb view, and lm sure that our waiters, Hans and Basil, had the biggest sparklers for all to see.They even produced a mini Baked Alaska specially for me. l couldnt wait to get my teeth into it:eek: . There did appear to be much more smoke than usual this time, and how nobody gets set alight to is a beyond me. One of the Maitre Ds did tell me that on those nights of the BAP the fire alarms are switched of during the parade.

As mentioned there is (was ?) no Baked Alaska Parade in the Britannia Restaurant on the QM2 but a parade by the chefs, cooks, kitchen helps.

Personaly I found this much worse than the Baked Alaska Parade which has at least some tradition and some sense as in presenting the final dessert in a supposingly festive way.

The "chefs' parade" has even a negative side effect: Our waiter brought out two courses together and informed us "take it or leave it" (in slightly kinder words) as the kitchen staff would do the parade and thus not prepare or give out any dishes any more.

Personally I think Baked Alaska is abominable!:eek: I don't rmember it being paraded around Britannia on QM2...thank goodness...maybe I just missed it which is fine.

Cheers, Penny

Penny's Affair to Remember QM2 review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

Penny, being on the exact same cruise as you, I can back you up in regards to their being NO Baked Alaska parade in Britannia during that week on the QM2. Thankfully.

That being said, Baked Alaska was one of the menu items for dessert one night and I did have it. I love Baked Alaska - sorry Penny!:o However, there was no parade behind it.

The only thing I can remember them doing is the introduction of the kitchen and dining room staff and the chef on the last night. I'm just thankful they didn't break out into song like the crew on HAL does. Cunard is so much more civilized.:rolleyes:

David

Who in four months can report back on whether the Caronia Restuarant on the QE2 has the parade or not!

I for one love the Baked Alaska Parade with music, sparklers and all that goes with it, QE2 wouldnt be the same without it, ........

Different strokes for different folks - a QE2 tradition???

Indeed last year it was still alive and well in the Mauretania. Being seated at the Captains Table we all had a superb view, ........

Does the captain really eat in Steerage on QE2 :eek:

Ken

I love the BAP and don't like BA. It is a delight to see the 'new to cruising' people when they do the parade. Don't forget that the passengers are not all

seasoned cruisers and all these traditions are new to them and all add to the Cruise experience.

Does the captain really eat in Steerage on QE2

Yes Ken he does, some nights he will dine with us, If he cant make it he sends somebody else,and he takes us to his cabin for drinks;) He is also known to dine in the Caronia, but as for the hallowed Grills experience dont know if the crew are allowed to eat there:eek:

Do l understand it to be that you are not a fan of this Great Tradition of the Baked Alaska Parade:D

cheers

Yes Ken he does, some nights he will dine with us, If he cant make it he sends somebody else,and he takes us to his cabin for drinks;) He is also known to dine in the Caronia, but as for the hallowed Grills experience dont know if the crew are allowed to eat there.

As far as crew in the Queens' Grill is concerned, I have seen Capt. McNaught and David Hamilton eat with Mr. Rosenberg. Otherwise I've never seen anyone there.

I did see Greener (Cruise Director) come along to try and share a table with Norman Wisdom and being sent away as "only four stripe officers may eat here".

Matthew.

PS - Ken should remember that the Captain on QM2 also eats in Steerage. Much the same as Mauretania - the basic restaurant operating with sittings for dinner.....

Archived