Baked Alaska Parade etc.

Kindlychap

The "chefs' parade" has even a negative side effect: Our waiter brought out two courses together and informed us "take it or leave it" (in slightly kinder words) as the kitchen staff would do the parade and thus not prepare or give out any dishes any more.

No parades in Britannia on QM2. She has WAY too much class for that. No waiters parading about, although the restaurant heads (chefs) do line up on the stairwell , if I remember correctly.

Besides, how could they parade without knocking over the harp player, the chamber music trio or the string quartet, always, always playing live on the dais at the entrance on the second tier. The music wafts gently over diners on the lower tier without being intrusive.

Nope. She's a class act. I can't speak for what the old folks with the marriage to "traditions" do in the grill or on her older sister.

Mary doesn't go for all that fol-de-rol. Sh'e much too dignified!

:rolleyes:

Karie,

who is not big on harp and chamber music, but it sure beats musak!

Sounds very dignified. I'd have made a complaint to the Maitre'D, and if that hadn't been taken seriously, the Hotel Manager, if I had such appalling service as reported by carlmm.

Matthew

PS - Ken should remember that the Captain on QM2 also eats in Steerage. Much the same as Mauretania - the basic restaurant operating with sittings for dinner.....

I don't think by any stretch of the imagination you can compare M grade on QE2 with Britannia on QM2 - or call that dining room basic :rolleyes:

I don't think by any stretch of the imagination you can compare M grade on QE2 with Britannia on QM2 - or call that dining room basic :rolleyes:

Ken...I'd guess that one can call it basic when one hasn't seen how spectacular it is...;) I'd personally be heartbroken if I got upgraded to the Grills on QM2 and had to eat somewhere else.

Cheers, penny

Penny's Affair to Remember QM2 review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

QE2 August 2006

tmpphpaSuTni.jpg.d9127e839d89614db2ad71548439ae34.jpg

it was also International night, hence the flags (just to add more flamable materials to the mix - I have a couple more pics, with views of the BA itself, but its taken long enough the get this one from its original size of 6M down to a Cruise Critic acceptable 35K :D (using a nice free site called resize2mail.com)

(sorry if it seems fuzzy, but the was at the end of the meal :D)

Karen

I did see Greener (Cruise Director) come along to try and share a table with Norman Wisdom and being sent away as "only four stripe officers may eat here".

Assuming Sir Norman was dining in the Queens Grill and invited Alastair, it would seem a bit pompous to turn him away on account of not having enough stripes!

(I know you're not a fan of Alastair's but I thought he was pretty good.)

As for the Baked Alaska Parade, I am pleased to report that it is in fact not in evidence in the Britannia Restaurant aboard QM2 at the moment, though sadly there is still the "chef's parade" which is only slightly less obnoxious.

I am hoping that perhaps it has been done away with on QE2 as well, but apparently not.

Assuming Sir Norman was dining in the Queens Grill and invited Alastair, it would seem a bit pompous to turn him away on account of not having enough stripes!

(I know you're not a fan of Alastair's but I thought he was pretty good.)

As for the Baked Alaska Parade, I am pleased to report that it is in fact not in evidence in the Britannia Restaurant aboard QM2 at the moment, though sadly there is still the "chef's parade" which is only slightly less obnoxious.

I am hoping that perhaps it has been done away with on QE2 as well, but apparently not.

Doug,

My strong impression was that Greener was gatecrashing. Otherwise I'm sure that Mr. Wisdom would have spoken to the Maitre'D. He didn't give the impression that he was a big star, which is nice.

Matthew

Why do cruise lines carry on with this?

Maybe it's just me but I think that they are so cheesy - if I know that there will be a parade at dinner I will forgo my dessert and leave before it all kicks off (and it is so annoying to miss out on dessert:p ).

I remember cruising on the Norwegian Sea in the Caribbean where the waiters were actually trying to encourage lady diners to get up and dance with them. Some seemed to enjoy it but it almost put me off cruising right at the outset!

QE2 August 2006

Attachment 42215

it was also International night, hence the flags (just to add more flamable materials to the mix

Karen UK

Thanks for adding the photo now how can anybody fail to be impressed with that! it just adds to the atmosphere, There was a voice over at the start of the last Baked Alaska parade, Our table was all hyped up and all over the place with excitement:eek: (think the wine helped) we didnt feel at all rushed, and awaited the start of this most marvelous parade with eager excitement.

On the other hand on the Melody in 2005 they had a "Chefs parade" everything stopped when they came out, l had enough by the time we were applauding the potwasher:rolleyes:

Perhaps we should have a poll on this.

Have to say I was surprised there was a parade esp as i was on qe2 - it was the first one I had come across (though there is perhaps a vague recollection of another, only because I remember being told by the waiter i had to have BA for dessert as the chefs had made it :eek: I wondered why they bother with the menu then (with what ever chocolate delight I had already selected for that night :D)

The biggest problem is that service takes a noticeable downturn as they all go off & get ready. (if you want to get to the show early, dont bother with dessert!)

but that late, after all that wine, near the end of the cruise, who really notices:D

And it made a good photo opportunity!

( I have several out of focus shots that evening - including the horses (should have mentioned before this was in Mauritania) - must take that picture on entry to the restaurant this year!!! (i.e. before all that wine :D))

Karen

QE2 August 2006

[ATTACH]42215[/ATTACH]

it was also International night, hence the flags (just to add more flamable materials to the mix - I have a couple more pics, with views of the BA itself, but its taken long enough the get this one from its original size of 6M down to a Cruise Critic acceptable 35K :D (using a nice free site called resize2mail.com)

(sorry if it seems fuzzy, but the was at the end of the meal :D)

Karen

Karen,

You don't have to do that any more!

The boards had an upgrade with a new feature that they will resize the photo for you automatically. Once in a while it doen't work. Usually if you wait and minute and try again. it is fine.

By horses, do you mean horse racing on the ship? with dice?

no there is a display / statue (?) of horses in the mauritania restaurant

Karen,

You don't have to do that any more!

The boards had an upgrade with a new feature that they will resize the photo for you automatically. Once in a while it doen't work. Usually if you wait and minute and try again. it is fine.

Thanks Karie, I will now see if I can find it and get it to work to post the picture of the horses!

Nah, it doesn't want to play,

"2006_0822_009_MauritaniaHorses.JPG:

The Dimension limits for this filetype are 620 x 280. We were unable to resize your file so you will need to do so manually and upload it again. Your file is currently 2848 x 2136."

perhaps its just too big!

but at least being at home I have proper software that will do the resize in one operation (the website I mentioned earlier took 3 or 4 goes to get it small enough).

The fuzzy picture of the Mauritania horses

2006_0822_008_MauritaniaHorses_reduced.jpg.4d4ac7b26308d8bc5c89862f36eff807.jpg

Karen

The last time we encountered this barmy pretence at entertainment was on the Funchal on a shorty around the Scottish Highlands

The cruise was billed as the Splendour of the Highlands and after we left Tobermory we sailed down the Sound of Mull and dinner was called as we turned south for Islay and Jura in a splendid Scottish evening - except that the pompous Maitre D' had ordered the curtains closed throughout dinner for the sake of this flaming nonsense, due about an hour and a half later.

We weren't having any of that, thank you! - and the curtains were opened.

Along came our waiter who was told politely that whilst we knew he was under orders that we were the customers and we would decide.

Then along came the Maitre D' to try to throw his weight about. He got told in no uncertain terms that no way were we going to eat in a curtained room, given the slendid views outside, and as it was "tips" night it gave the perfect opportunity to tear up his envelope before his very eyes in front of the whole restaurant, when he overstepped the mark and started making personal comments.

We left the restaurant and were asked if we would care to dine in the crew restauarant - the old first class facility - which we did - no curtains - complimentary wine and a splendid evening sail uninterrupted by that kind of nonsense.

The following morning at breakfast we were treated like royalty by the stewards. They obviously hated the pompous little twerp and were very grateful that someone had taken him down a peg.

Cruise lines need to remember that it is the customer who pays their bills, and not to try to bully them into participating in activities which certainly are not "tradition" when it is not necessary for good shipboard reasons

I too have seen officers dining in the Queens Grill on many of my cruises on QE2.

On a Fjord July 2005 cruise Captain Rynd who was taking over as Catpain from Nick Bates at the end of my cruise was having dinner in the Grill with a Director of the Cunard Line (who arrived in Amsterdam & stayed on board for 2 nights only). Then on my last US / Canada cruise Captain David Perkins was dining in the Grill with his mother & friends. I also saw the Chief Medical Officer dine with fellow QG passengers at their table.

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

The last time we encountered this barmy pretence at entertainment was on the Funchal on a shorty around the Scottish Highlands

The cruise was billed as the Splendour of the Highlands and after we left Tobermory we sailed down the Sound of Mull and dinner was called as we turned south for Islay and Jura in a splendid Scottish evening - except that the pompous Maitre D' had ordered the curtains closed throughout dinner for the sake of this flaming nonsense, due about an hour and a half later.

We weren't having any of that, thank you! - and the curtains were opened.

Along came our waiter who was told politely that whilst we knew he was under orders that we were the customers and we would decide.

Then along came the Maitre D' to try to throw his weight about. He got told in no uncertain terms that no way were we going to eat in a curtained room, given the slendid views outside, and as it was "tips" night it gave the perfect opportunity to tear up his envelope before his very eyes in front of the whole restaurant, when he overstepped the mark and started making personal comments.

We left the restaurant and were asked if we would care to dine in the crew restauarant - the old first class facility - which we did - no curtains - complimentary wine and a splendid evening sail uninterrupted by that kind of nonsense.

The following morning at breakfast we were treated like royalty by the stewards. They obviously hated the pompous little twerp and were very grateful that someone had taken him down a peg.

Cruise lines need to remember that it is the customer who pays their bills, and not to try to bully them into participating in activities which certainly are not "tradition" when it is not necessary for good shipboard reasons

Tbird -- I would ask you if it was sunset because that can be a very uncomfortable to one's eyes. Perhaps the curtains were drawn because of that. If it wasn't an early seating, there is not much else to look at in the dark on the open seas.

We were in a hotel in Las Vegas a couple of weeks ago and the morning sun was brutal. We had to ask them to close the blinds for us. Too hot and intensely bright.

--Judy

Captain Bates told me he is allowed to dine in the Queen's Grill only if INVITED by a passenger, and not many think to ask him.

The Captain has two tables: one in Mauretania, the other in Caronia. On formal nights he alternates tables with the Staff Captain attending to the other table.

Can I hint that I want to be invited again this year?

Julia

no there is a display / statue (?) of horses in the mauritania restaurant

The fuzzy picture of the Mauritania horses

[ATTACH]42305[/ATTACH]

Karen

The sculpture is White Horses of the Atlantic

One can see the inspiration on a breezy day at sea, in the white spray being blown off the top of the swell by the wind. With a bit of imagination, the blowing spray can resemble a horse's head and mane.

Karen,

I'm not sure about posting inline pictures, but if you do the "manage attachments", I have maybe twice had it not do the resize. I usually just try it again, and it works.

Karie

who has never EVER been able to figure out how to resize and do thumbnails even though she heas several great graphics programs!

And I can even write basic HTML!

For Judy and Steve -

If you have never sailed in our northern latitudes you perhaps do not appreciate that unlike Las Vegas, twilight lasts for quite a while, and sunset is one of Scotland's glories, especially amongst mountain scenery.

We time twilight in hours, not minutes.

Archived