Bringing Beer

So, what are the odds of getting beer on board in your checked luggage? Suggestions? Tips?:confused:

Looks like some get the hard liquor on in plastic water bottles. Any thoughts on what to pack in the same suitcase?:rolleyes:

I'm not an experiened cruiser so this may not work, but you could try putting your beer in a soda fridge pack and just tape it back up with some clear tape to make it less obvious in case they open your bag. Pack it in your checked luggage and hope it makes it. Beer is tough though because you cannot transfer it to a more innocuous container like you can with hard alcohol.

Buy the 16 oz plastic bottles and place them in your checked luggage. We take 18-24 in each suitcase for a 7 nighter and carry on a disposable cooler. Cabin Stewards will keep them cold if you treat 'em right. The Miller Light we bring are identical to the $6 versions you buy on board so no trouble carrying them around.

Boy, those suitcases are so much easier to carry off for some reason.

We fly in the day before and I buy a 24 of cans.. it fits perfectly into one of our suitcases.. I don't carry around the cans.. they are for drinking in the cabin only. I purchase all my dranks at the bar while I am outside the cabin. But if you have an insulated mug you could just as well pour your beer in there.

I brought a fold-up soft cooler in my luggage. We stayed the night before in Cocoa Beach. We all went to a grocery store and bought two 18 packs each. Packed them in the soft cooler and checked it as luggage when we got to the ship. No problems, although I did have one can that was pierced.

For previous cruises, I have purchased 12 packs of soda. I carefully opened the end of the box, and removed all the soda cans. I then refilled the box with 10 cans of my choice of beer. Only ten cans of beer, as I used two cans of soda in the position under the "handle" of the box. I the carefully used a hot glue gun to reseal the box. I carried four of these on board with no problems. When you look at the box, you can actually see the two cans of soda through the handle hole.

• 1 month later...

We went on a Princess cruise a year ago and had no problem. We bought a case of beer and a case of bottled water, duck-taped them together and stuck a luggage tag on it. In plain sight - no problem, got delivered to our room just fine.

For previous cruises, I have purchased 12 packs of soda. I carefully opened the end of the box, and removed all the soda cans. I then refilled the box with 10 cans of my choice of beer. Only ten cans of beer, as I used two cans of soda in the position under the "handle" of the box. I the carefully used a hot glue gun to reseal the box. I carried four of these on board with no problems. When you look at the box, you can actually see the two cans of soda through the handle hole.

I do almost the same thing. I purchase the 12 packs of soda, but I drill a pinhole in the bottom of the cans to drain the soda, then I break into a local hospital and use their sterilizing equipment to wash & dry out the cans.

I use a tiny little funnel that I purchased from an insect surgical tool supply company to refill the cans with beer through the pinhole.

I stole a CO2 injection unit from a local brewery by disguising it as a garbage dumpster and picking it up in a rented flat bed trailer, and I brought it to my home where I camaflouged it with ivy to prevent the neightbors from asking too many questions. I use the injection unit to put a little extra squirt of gas into the cans to maintain the foaminess (I hate flat beer).

Finally, at a military surplus auction I was able to find an acetylene micro-welder that was used to seal aluminum fuel tanks in ICBM's in the 1960's and I had it retrofitted to handle aluminum beer cans. We weld the pinholes shut on the cans.

It takes a few hours to sand down the weld marks, and I use Chevrolet body touch up paint to cover the the weld. (Their "Cherry Red" is almost exactly the same as "Coca Cola Red.")

Finally, we put the cans back in the soda carrier and using the glue gun, reseal it.

We've never got caught smuggling.

Man - $5 for a beer on board a ship, who can afford that? :D

:D Funny.

Back to serious ... I'm not a beer drinker, but I read on a thread awhile back that someone had put canned beer in luggage. The luggage gets tossed around quite a bit, y'know...and when they opened a coupla cans, beer spewed all over them and the cabin. I wouldn't want that mess. I think I'd spring for the ones sold on the ship.

:D Funny.

Back to serious ... I'm not a beer drinker, but I read on a thread awhile back that someone had put canned beer in luggage. The luggage gets tossed around quite a bit, y'know...and when they opened a coupla cans, beer spewed all over them and the cabin. I wouldn't want that mess. I think I'd spring for the ones sold on the ship.

I'm sure it made for a memorable experience, and a fun story they can share with others.

When I think of some of the hairbrained things I've done to save a buck, I can't help but laugh at myself....

• 1 month later...

I simply travel the day before and use our overnight small suitcase to carry my beer. I buy two 12 packs and put them in the suitcase. I pack a few tee shirts and socks etc around it to make everything fit tight. My theory is the case is easy to handle and passes through security with minimal effort. Overloading an already heavy suitcase is just asking for problems.. Most times it is the one I find sitting on the bed in my cabin. :) Have done this almost every cruise with success. I don't think the xray machine distinguishes between Diet pepsi or Coors Light..... I always try to take the same brand as is sold on the ships.

With my small cooler and a little help from the tipped cabin stewart and I have cold beer for the week. I pick a six pack of local beer on some of the islands and the crew doesn't seem to bother with me.

I do spend some money around the pool and in the bars but this seems to reduce the spending somewhat.....

.....I had to share this experience.

My Dad is a vigorous 84 year old. He loves his beer and won't pay ship prices. Holland America lets you bring wine aboard, but beer is forbidden.

In St. Thomas, USVI, the ship docked at Havensight. Dad was one of the first off the ship, *walked* to a grocery store over a mile away. Slung a two-four of Red Stripe on his shoulder. Walked back to the ship's gangway, waved at the security guys, and breezed on past. No problem.

Probably only works for geezers who can freeze young bucks with an icy glare.

Not wanting to waste time with beer my husband and I along with my uncle came up with a plan of our own. My husband and myself are rum drinkers so we purchased a bottle of rum at home and took some empty 20 oz water bottles and filled them up with rum. As long as you use light rum...or vodka it looks like water. We packed this in our carry on. My uncle likes scotch so he took some empty green tea bottles and filled them with his scotch. Packed them the same and was on his way.

You are allowed to bring both water and soda onboard. The ships water is just fine to drink. As I said in my post I don't believe the xray equipment can tell the difference between soda or beer so on the busy embarkation day I don't think they are going to take the time to verify what it is. Some cruiselines are more relaxed about their alcohol prohibition than others. Friends of ours actually were subjected to the NCL security opening their carry on water and smelling same. It was on a Hawaii Cruise. On Princess and Holland America there was none of that. I can only assume that certain times of the year when college students are travelling alcohol screening is more intense ....... :) :)

I will have to give you props. That is the most creative way I have ever read or heard about. Way too funny!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Have heard a couple references to bringing the same type of beer as is available on the ship. Since I'm new to cruising could someone let me know what they serve on Princess or Caribbean Princess in particular?

My original plan is pick up some Bud aluminum bottles and pack in checked luggage.

Thanks

Went on my first cruise this June - Disney Wonder - room service menu sold beer by the 6-pack - costly but still cheaper than buying seperately - do other cruise line room services offer that as well?

Trying to get DH to go on a cruise next spring and of course this is a priority!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived