When to buy?

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it when I did a search. We are booked for a November 2008 cruise. Is there any benefit to buying the cruise insurance now, or waiting until later (closer to cruise)? I'd appreciate your opinions.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it when I did a search. We are booked for a November 2008 cruise. Is there any benefit to buying the cruise insurance now, or waiting until later (closer to cruise)? I'd appreciate your opinions.

One thing can be "preexisting conditions". I think it counts from when you purchase the insurance, I'm not 100% sure but I think so.

If you have a pre-existing condition, you must purchase the insurance within 7 days for most, some may be 14 day of booking your cruise. Otherwise, you can purchase it when you make your final payment. I do not believe you cannot purchase it just prior to your cruise if you anticipate any weather related problems.

sept10dsm is right. If anyone in your travelling party or immediate family has a disease or condition that may make you cancel or curtail your cruise, the insurance would only cover it if you had bought the insurance when you booked your cruise, or within a very small time window.

If that is not a concern for you, just buy the travel insurance any time you want. There is SOME cutoff date close to departure, but I'm not sure when it is. I have bought it pretty late a couple of times.

There is one policy from CSA travel insurance that allows you to purchase the insurance within 24 hours of final payment and pre-existing conditions that have been stable for the past 180 days are covered.

I always buy within a week to two weeks of booking the cruise. You never know what will happen. I actually had to use my travel insurance once when my brother passed away. It's not a great experience but at least you have it when you need it.

Thank you all for your input. I had to cancel a cruise once, but not due to a pre-existing condition. My son was in a bad car accident 3 weeks before the cruise and had to have surgery. Thank God he's okay, and thank God we had cruise insurance. I think I will get it now and not have to worry about anything.

Archived