Garmet bags as carry ons?

Marinewife05

You can carry on pretty much anything that will go thru the X-ray machine. The biggest thing I've seen get carried on was a wedding dress in a bag. The security people did a wan search of it so they didn't have to wrinkle it up in the x-ray machine.

The answer depends on what you're talking about. Are you asking if you can carry on a garment bag onto the ship or onto an airplane? On a ship, you can pretty much carry on anything that will easily go throught their smaller xray machines. If you're talking about a plane, with all the security measures, it's been a very long time since I've seen anyone try and carry a garment bag onto an airplane.

FYI

Closet space is limited in most planes. First Class passengers have priority on closet space. Most likely you will have to lay your garment bag flat in the overhead or hold it in your lap. And you will have to put your other stuff on top of it or others will.

To be able to lay your garment bag flat, you will need to be in one of the first boarding groups. I have seen them soooo squished in the overheads, they hardly look like garment bags anymore.

You would be far better off buying a rolling garment bag and checking the luggage. Or just put your stuff in a suitcase, unpack it immediately and hand it to the room steward for pressing. Shouldn't cost more than $15.00 for suit, shirt and dress.

Our garment bag is folded in half and hasn't been a problem when put into the overhead bin. When we get on the ship, we open it up and everything in it is fine. I put everything into drycleaner bags before hanging them in the garment bag, and they come out virtually wrinkle-free.

Archived