Would you...... (Kid in Cabin Q)

HI! The last cruise we went on, we left our children 10, and 12, in the cabin for a couple of hours one night. We were going to go see a midnight showing of " The haunted mansion" with them (it was a Disney cruise) and they wanted to stay in the cabin and veg instead of going to the kids club. It was strictly a trial for us. When we went back to get them for the movie (after probably less then 2 hours) they were both sound asleep. So no problems here. Again our daughter is very responsible, and is babysitting on her own now,a nd we also were of the opinion that they were really exhausted. I think that you have to trust your kids sometimes, but we obviously also believe in the one strike and your out rule.

thank you for your advice and opinions.. and everyone's opinion (for that matter)...

once you get the walkie-talkies that work.. or if you know ones that will work well on the ship, let me know.. we need to update ours as well..

I think it depends on your relationship with your kids and if you feel they are responsible enough. My daughter stayed alone last year when she was only 12 and didn't want to hang with us. She also went to the teen night club alone and had a good time. We had walkie talkies and whenever she needed us, she just called. She even went to a few shows on her own when we didn't feel up to going and ate in the dining room alone twice because I didn't like what was on the menu and hubby was too sick to get out of bed.

Hi,

I have left my daughter alone on our two Disney cruises (this is when she was 7 and 8 years old). I had never left her alone at that age (now that she's 10 I leave her for an hour at a time every now and then), but on the Disney cruise I felt extremely comfortable.

There were mostly all families and she knew not to open the door for anyone. Now we have cell phones and 2 way radios and if she wants to cruise around the ship on her own, I'll let her.

I have gotten flamed for leaving her alone on the Disney cruise, but they don't know me or my daughter (she's extremely mature for her age), so I didn't worry about what other people said. I knew my daughter and I knew her maturity, so I felt safe doing it.

I believe it's all about how you feel that your kids will handle it.

debbie

I always found it sort of funny when my kids were that age (7 or 8) that I could get in big trouble for leaving them home alone (our county published guidelines that any child under the age of 10 left home alone was a social services issue), even for a few minutes while say I ran a sibling to school 3/4 of a mile away. But...nobody would think it in the least neglectful if I let them walk to that same school. Our city has no busing, so I'd have to drive or let them walk and many of their peers did walk. Yet on the way to school they could encounter dogs, traffic, bullies, and possibly child abductors and it would take them at least 15 minutes to get there. If I left them home for those same 15 minutes, with the doors locked and a cell phone in hand, that, however, was neglectful!

Similarly, while I realize that there could be molesters, etc. on a ship (& have read threads warning of this), I still consider it much safer to leave them in a cabin there with radios than I would to let them go with a friend to a local park to play. The lack of traffic and animals (I was attacked by a dog once & have a fear of this happening to my kids) makes me feel much better than anywhere not on a ship!

I think you know your children best. I would have no problem leaving my kids at that age...especially since my older one was very responsible.

Heck, when I was 13, I was babysitting other people's kids!

I think as long as your kids are mature and will follow instructions to the letter, and you check on them now and then, it's fine.

Have you thought about bringing walkie talkies onboard with you. That way you could check on them more frequently without always schlepping back to the cabin.

We just returned from a 7/24 sailing on the Caribbean Princess--huge ship--and I left my 11 1/2 year-old daughter alone in the cabin a couple of nights (just for the evening production show). She asked to be left alone in the cabin. (Poor Dad couldn't go on this trip).

This cruise brought out the very best in daughter, and she was so mature, so responsible, I couldn't believe this was the same child from home! I do not leave her home alone (at her request) although we live in a gated community in a very affluent town. She just doesn't like being alone in our big, rambling house, especially at night. However, in the lively cruise ship, where everyone is snuggly close and there's always action--and brightly lit hallways--daughter had no compunction about being left alone. Also, she had the cabin phone right by her bedside, and she knew she could call our cabin attendant "Chai" if there was an emergency, so she felt secure. I instructed her to use the peephole if anyone should knock at the door, and if it wasn't me or someone she had summoned (for an emergency), then to disregard the knock.

Also, I instructed her that if she felt uncomfortable alone, she should go to the library (her favorite hangout, right next to the atrium) and curl up with her book and read (she is an avid reader). I would look for her in the library if I could not find her in the cabin. Lastly, I told her if there was a shipboard emergency, to grab her lifejecket and meet me at the muster station (she knew where it was, it was in a restaurant directly below our cabin).

Give your child a day or two on the ship to get familiar with the layout--mine did, and she was so proud of herself that she could find her way anywhere!--and then you will know if your children are comfortable--and if you are comfortable, also.

Archived