London Question

capeboy96

Quick question. Am sailing on the QM2 in a few weeks out of SOU. When I did a similar crossing in Jan I took the train from Waterloo Station in London. My boss just returned from London and told me they are closing Waterloo ? and he thinks trains to SOU now will be going out of Victoria Station. Any truth to that?

Thanks.

I did a search on national rail and on the German web site that has all train schedules in Europe and England and they both show trains from Waterloo to SOU for the next several months. I have heard that the Eurostar is changing train stations in the future but you are safe for now from Waterloo to Southampton.

Aloha,

Patti

Quick question. Am sailing on the QM2 in a few weeks out of SOU. When I did a similar crossing in Jan I took the train from Waterloo Station in London. My boss just returned from London and told me they are closing Waterloo ? and he thinks trains to SOU now will be going out of Victoria Station. Any truth to that? Thanks.
Hello CapeBoy96, Lyn and I have our tickets for the train from Waterloo Station to Southampton on Saturday 5th May for our QM2 cruise on the 6th, so I hope it's not true. But then again, British Airways sold our Southampton to Edinburgh flight out from under us (they sold BA Connect to Flybe) so I suppose anything is possible. :(

regards

Margot

My boss just returned from London and told me they are closing Waterloo ? and he thinks trains to SOU now will be going out of Victoria Station.

Hi Rob;

No - your boss is confused.

They are moving (only) Eurostar from Waterloo to St Pancras - no other trains are affected - there is a dedicated new line from St Pancras for Eurostar, not for the many lines which run south from Waterloo:

http://stpancras.eurostar.com/en-gb

Go to Waterloo as usual - and try out Megatrain:

http://www.megatrain.com/uk/

Peter

Hi, just to let you know that there are direct trains from waterloo to southampton at least once an hour . If you post your travel date and time I'll look at the timetable for you regards Sue
Hi Sue, Lyn and I are booked on the 12noon train from Waterloo to Southampton - 1st class, whatever that means? :confused: Can you tell me about the seating configuration? Does 1st class just mean that you have more leg room or is it a separate compartment with limited seating? Sorry, but train travel in England is a mystery to us. :o

regards

Margot.

Hi Sue, Lyn and I are booked on the 12noon train from Waterloo to Southampton - 1st class, whatever that means? :confused: Can you tell me about the seating configuration? Does 1st class just mean that you have more leg room or is it a separate compartment with limited seating? Sorry, but train travel in England is a mystery to us. :o

regards

Margot.

Firstly, Waterloo is certainly not closing, as said above. The London to Paris Eurostar service is moving to a new facility in St Pancras, but Waterloo Station remains open and extremely busy!

First Class means different things, depending on what train journey you take. Virgin Trains, for example, give you a meal, free drinks and so on. The commuter line you're on merely gives a first-class carriage with wider seats, better legroom and extra space for luggage.

You are correct: train travel is very different in the UK to the US, in that it has almost been destroyed in the US, but in the UK, more people used the train network last year than at any time in 50 years.

Finally, the train service is undoubtedly the best way to get to Southampton. Do not be tempted by buses or cars. You go through attractive farmland, and the lilting ride somehow anticipates your arrival at the ship far more effectively than the stop-start trundle down a motorway. Furthermore, you're being far more "authentic", in that you begin your "crossing" just like those in the last century and a half have - on the train (if not the actual "boat train" of old :-)

Firstly, Waterloo is certainly not closing, as said above. The London to Paris Eurostar service is moving to a new facility in St Pancras, but Waterloo Station remains open and extremely busy!

First Class means different things, depending on what train journey you take. Virgin Trains, for example, give you a meal, free drinks and so on. The commuter line you're on merely gives a first-class carriage with wider seats, better legroom and extra space for luggage.

You are correct: train travel is very different in the UK to the US, in that it has almost been destroyed in the US, but in the UK, more people used the train network last year than at any time in 50 years.

Finally, the train service is undoubtedly the best way to get to Southampton. Do not be tempted by buses or cars. You go through attractive farmland, and the lilting ride somehow anticipates your arrival at the ship far more effectively than the stop-start trundle down a motorway. Furthermore, you're being far more "authentic", in that you begin your "crossing" just like those in the last century and a half have - on the train (if not the actual "boat train" of old :-)

Thank you so much for that information, it's greatly appreciated! :)

regards

Margot

Hi Margot, yes 1st class separate carriage and usually not too crowded .should be nice relaxing journey then 10 min taxi transfer to port Sue
Excellent, we both wanted to see some of the English countryside. Hopefully everything is very green, which will be a welcome change from our drought conditions here in Australia.

Thanks for your help Sue ;)

Margot.

I just wonder, as a first time cruiser TA, how easy or difficult it is to take the train FROM the ship back to London (with luggage etc)

Easy - take a taxi from the QEII terminal to the train station, then catch a train to London (typically one every every 20-30 minutes) - then plenty of Taxis at Waterloo in London. If you have a lot of luggage (more than you can carry) then a hired car to London may be a more comfortable - but much more expensive - option.

Hi Rob;

No - your boss is confused.

They are moving (only) Eurostar from Waterloo to St Pancras - no other trains are affected - there is a dedicated new line from St Pancras for Eurostar, not for the many lines which run south from Waterloo:

http://stpancras.eurostar.com/en-gb

Go to Waterloo as usual - and try out Megatrain:

http://www.megatrain.com/uk/

Peter

Aha!

This is what I remembered reading! Thanks for clarifying, Peter.

Sorry if I got anyone confused with my answer last night.

KArie

The new Eurostar station at St. Pancras International opens mid November. It will be quite a place - the old Barlow trainshed is very impressive indeed.

The Kings Cross area has improved greatly over the last few years, and has now reached the heady hights of merely seedy.

I wouldn't know - so what's it like after dark?

I should add that St. Pancras is the London station that takes me home, and I do go to the opera in London. So I see the area from the taxi......

It's much better than a few years ago. You rarely see a working girl now, whereas they were all over the place a few years ago. But there is still an air of seediness. It used to be really nasty!

Matthew

You rarely see a working girl now, whereas they were all over the place a few years ago. Matthew

So are you saying that the formerly employed are now on the dole, and not working?

Or that while women still work, female child labor (girls) has been contained?

Karie,

who really doesn't understand! :D

Archived