What to do in Sitka

BIG MAMA2

Sitka is a beautiful and very historic port. Just walking around the town is very interesting. You can start at the historic site, then walk to the raptor center, and then tour the town. This was the capital of Russian Alaska, and the first US Capital as well. There is a very intereting Russian Orthodox church in town. I understand there is also some very good salmon fishing as well.

We went kayaking and it was great! I would do it again in a heart beat!

Was your kayaking through the cruise ship or independent? I just booked a kayaking excursion through HAL in Sitka and I've never kayak. Was the water pretty calm? How was the weather during your kayak?

Was your kayaking through the cruise ship or independent? I just booked a kayaking excursion through HAL in Sitka and I've never kayak. Was the water pretty calm? How was the weather during your kayak?

Be prepared, kayak trips go out in all weather, including rain. They don't cancel except for extremely sea conditions.

In fact it was through HAL. There was a light rain but I was still wonderful. It only rained a very short time. The water was calm as class. What they did was take us on a boat to a float house which was at the mouth of a river. We were never in the sea. I was scared to death thinking I was going to be kayaking with whales. Then they put us in kayaks and we went down the river past all the trappers homes, we saw wildlife, and saw salmon in the water really close also. It was a nice trip. Then we went back to the float house for Clam Chowder. I had never been in a kayak before either. I would go again in a heartbeat!

SakeDad - we went out with Capt. Davey and the Ester G last August. We consider his excursion ALL TIME BEST/FAVORITE of any of the excursions we have taken in our 2 cruises to Alaska. Come to think of it, the Wildlife Quest with Capt. Davey is our favorite no matter whice cruise we have taken. Enjoy - you will love it!!!

SakeDad - we went out with Capt. Davey and the Ester G last August. We consider his excursion ALL TIME BEST/FAVORITE of any of the excursions we have taken in our 2 cruises to Alaska. Come to think of it, the Wildlife Quest with Capt. Davey is our favorite no matter whice cruise we have taken. Enjoy - you will love it!!!

I'm so glad to see another positive review, it makes me even more sure I made the right decision! My family will be going on a 4 hour tour with Capt. Davey. He seems so knowledgeable and his wife was so sweet on the phone!

To the OP, try www.sitka.org. There is a lot of different tour ideas, even diving! I have a friend who did that last year and he loved it! He said he didn't get cold because of the suits they put you in! If that's not for your group, there is also bicycling tours, kayaking, and ATV tours. Visit that site and you'll surely find something!

Good luck and happy cruising!:)

Cathy and I had such an amazing trip with Captain Davey last year ( http://www.youralaskacruise.com/reviews/alaskacruises2006/page4.html ) that we've chartered him for the whole day when we go back on the Amsterdam on July 24 :)

Murray

I loved your pictures, thanks for sharing!!! All those star fish are amazing and the sea lion getting so close! I didn't think I could get more excited, but somehow I am, lol! I can't imagine all the animals and things you'll get to see in a whole day; you and Cathy have a great time!

P.S. Thanks for all the info you put on the board! There are so many of us that greatly appreciate your efforts (and that of many others) just so we came have a more enjoyable vacation! Thanks!!

Archived