Need Help...which cruise to pick?!?

Iwant2cruise!

Hi all,

I'm in the very beginning stages of researching Alaskan cruises. I've been reading everything I can and it seems like the ships either go to Hubbard Glacier or Tracy Arm Fjord. I have no idea which ship or cruise line to pick. In all honesty for us, it's all about the destinations right now. Anyone with any recommendations on DO NOT MISS places? We've cruised with RCCL and Carnival before.

Advice is appreciated!

Karen

As a suggestion, to make your search more narrow. Determine if you are looking at one way or round trip. My opinion only, I don't do one ways without at least another week for interior Alaska touring.

Figuring that out will cut down on your list of considerations. As for Glacier sailings, there is also Glacier Bay, which is my preference. If you are considering a one way, I have a high preference for also a College Fjords sailing.

considerations in your selection- look at- ports, time in ports (a ship shore excursion list is a good source for tour options- see what is a touring priority for you?), route, glacier, ship naturalists- can really enhance your Alaska experience, they aren't on NCL or some RCI sailings. Price- important to factor in touring costs, overall significantly more than most other destinations.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, I've had computer problems of late and way too much work to do. We are definitely doing a 1 way -- and are planning to spend a whole week + touring other parts of Alaska. As to our budget, we've looked at the costs for the cruise and we are comfortable with what we are seeing.

We've decided that we definitely would like to have a naturalist on Board...so I think that limits us to Princess and HAL...though I'm not sure on that.

We do definitely want to go to Glacier Bay. I've heard it is beautiful. Any other tips you can offer are definitely appreciated and well-received.

Karen

Positively the best advice I can give to someone in your position is to find a good local Travel Agent who is a CLIA Accredited Cruise Counselor. Check this site:

http://www.cruising.org/index2.cfm

That is the way to get all the available information from a trained expert. Asking questions on this board is a good idea when you get it down to specific issues. But to ask, "What is the best cruise to Alaska for me?" you need to go to an Agent who will qualify you, find out about you, your likes and interests, your budget and timing, and then search all the available cruises to help you decide the perfect one for you.

Those of us on this board are mostly crotchety, opinionated people who base our comments on a few trips we have made, a few personal experiences, and a lot of hearsay. Please DON'T mistake us for experts!;) ;) If you are really interested in my crotchety opinion, check the website in my sig for reports and pics from several Alaska cruises.

When you have chosen your perfect cruise, and want to know somebody's opinion whether to order the chocolate or apple martini, THEN we will be glad to offer LOTS of advice. I bet that thread would get 100 posts!;) ;)

Mike, I don't think you realize that type of agent is NOT available in lots of rural America! Believe me, I've learned lots more from people on this board who have "been there/done that" than anything my TA has been able to advise me!!! :rolleyes:

Mike, I don't think you realize that type of agent is NOT available in lots of rural America! Believe me, I've learned lots more from people on this board who have "been there/done that" than anything my TA has been able to advise me!!! :rolleyes:

cjnky, I agree with you with you, but my experience has been in 30 years of cruising that the type of agent is not readily available anywhere in America. I do all of my own research and book on my own. Not to say there are not some good TA's out there but you must be very careful. I have tried to find a knowledgeable one by by simply asking about pod problems on Celebrity and always get a dumb look and the standard answer "not any problems that I know of". So I have been forced to get my information from this board and sift through it.

For cruising Alaska I would recommend Princess or HAL as they have the most experience and have many cruises that go to Glacier Bay and College Fjord.

Gaining knowledge from this board can help you ask an agent specific questions. This will help to determine if it is a knowledgeable agent.

And help you cut thru a sales pitch that glides over the details.

Archived